95% lose

Just wondering who/when/how was this study done? Or is it an estimate?

I find it hard to understand how a such a figure can be accurate across a trillion dollar daily market where deals are conducted anomalously across and electronic network.

Thought?

The question most traders should be asking is "why do 95 % lose , and how I can avoid being unsuccessful?"You will gain something with that knowledge.

Google

Google

Trading Psychology

More seriously, I would be more interested in a study of those traders who know what they're doing rather than a broad sweep of all accounts. 80% of them are not worth looking at (aside from learning from their mistakes) for the simple reason that they are the ones who lose most of the time.

What I mean to say is, the accounts of interest should be those of competitive relevance. How one would datamine this, I don't know. But I do know that as a competitive player this 20% tranche is the one that I would be wary of -- and the ones I would need to strive to beat (i.e. have an edge over them).

Of course, the market is a different arena than, say, the tennis court, but I would like to believe that the principle is the same.

The 5% then :cheesy:

They run brokerages ie bucket shops , write books , sell financial services , trading education , courses , selling signals , internet marketing , selling eas , software and indicators ,operating ponzi schemes , funds management ,share ramping and scamming the 95% .

Even robbing pensions nowadays is called trading , according to Goldman.

setting up a forex brokerage or bucketshop is probably the smartest way to make money in the markets

a guaranteed pip or 2 per trade (spread) x trade volume,
not to mention virtually risk free

pretty clever

They run brokerages ie bucket shops , write books , sell financial services , trading education , courses , selling signals , internet marketing , selling eas , software and indicators ,operating ponzi schemes , funds management ,share ramping and scamming the 95% .

Even robbing pensions nowadays is called trading , according to Goldman.

What about running forums ?

setting up a forex brokerage or bucketshop is probably the smartest way to make money in the markets

a guaranteed pip or 2 per trade (spread) x trade volume,
not to mention virtually risk free

pretty clever

It is a dishonest business , price is going up and your bucketshop moves to your stop , takes it out and steals with a false move.

What about running forums ?

For entertainment .Getting all the clowns together for Lulz.

Most of the forum owners know they would be billionaires instead of running forums , but would find emotions prevent them from being profitable.

It did ? I didn't realise. If true, my guess is the bucketshops are getting upset. I did say in the thread the OP will get paid to do nothing at a certain point ? Maybe it was a voluntary close ?

Nope, not closed. And I haven't received any offers of hush money yet. :D

Accounts from all the major brokers and some you probably haven't heard of are included in the study.

Accounts from all the major brokers and some you probably haven't heard of are included in the study.

As for the consistency i don't see it necessarily to be profitable in every Q , some good traders may have a bad Q or 2 , i don't think it effects the consistency .

As for the consistency i don't see it necessarily to be profitable in every Q , some good traders may have a bad Q or 2 , i don't think it effects the consistency .

Have to say I agree with that.
Quite a few long running and successful hedge funds are only consistent
on an annual basis, even then there is variance.

Its also largely a symptom of frequency as well, HFT's are known for having
sharpes of +20.

I'd want to break the data down into frequency sets and also
throw in annual consistency as well.

he's talking retailers, and many retailers aspire to generate a consistent income from their trading

having a quarter or 2 in the red isnt going to bode too well in the face of that ambition

hence the 4 back-to-back quarters is suitable in my view

he's talking retailers, and many retailers aspire to generate a consistent income from their trading

having a quarter or 2 in the red isnt going to bode too well in the face of that ambition

Then why stop at the fourth ? what if they had 2 bad Q after the 4th ? i am sure that will effect consistency then ...

all definitions of "success" are subjective, one has to draw the line somewhere

personally, if a retailer can achieve 4 back-to-back profitable quarters on a "decent" lot size and within "desirable" risk parameters, there's a good chance they have the "right stuff"

........subjective, as i said :)

Then why stop at the fourth ? what if they had 2 bad Q after the 4th ? i am sure that will effect consistency then ...

Yeah I know, the point of what I posted was to show that
the same thing applies to retailers.
Think of a retail swing trader vs. a retail day trader with more than 1 trade per day.

Is a retail swing trader having a losing quarter as bad as a retail day trader having
a bad quarter.
No because of the respective sample size for that quarter - much bigger for the day trader.
Thats what I was getting at.

Just wondering who/when/how was this study done? Or is it an estimate?

I find it hard to understand how a such a figure can be accurate across a trillion dollar daily market where deals are conducted anomalously across and electronic network.

Thought?

Hi ffsear,

I reckon we can work it out.

As follows:

Out of 100 people opening an account.
Let's say 50 of them dont have the time to commit despite good intentions.
Let's say 25 of that 50 dont have a satisfactory entry method.
Let's say 13 of that 25 dont have a satisfactory exit method.
Let's say 7 of that 13 dont have a satisfactory money management profile (ie. risk of ruin = 100%)
That leaves 6 who have a chance...... so by my calculations 94% fail.

Wahahahahaha.

Good chat, no?

all definitions of "success" are subjective, one has to draw the line somewhere

personally, if a retailer can achieve 4 back-to-back profitable quarters on a "decent" lot size and within "desirable" risk parameters, there's a good chance they have the "right stuff"

........subjective, as i said :)

ofcourse when it comes to consistency one year is not enough, some of them may get lucky because of the low volatility , they have to be profitable for years during different market conditions bull , bear , low V , high V , ranging , sudden news ... etc , even then that's not enough for Taleb's "Fooled by randomness" :cheesy: