80% success rate

firewalker99 said:
If you think you need an 80% edge to double your money in one year, you couldn't be more mistaken. People with a much lesser edge can make 500-1000% a year. If I win half of my trades (50% edge) and manage to gain 5% with risking 2% on each single trade, doing around 500 trades a year would make me approximately 1500%.

wow firewalker, that puts my own system of doubling my money to shame; better not talk about my one...........
wow, wow , wow, how are you doing that? ****, please tell me........
you must be stinking rich by now :cheesy:

vetten said:
firewalker99 said:
If you think you need an 80% edge to double your money in one year, you couldn't be more mistaken. People with a much lesser edge can make 500-1000% a year. If I win half of my trades (50% edge) and manage to gain 5% with risking 2% on each single trade, doing around 500 trades a year would make me approximately 1500%.

wow firewalker, that puts my own system of doubling my money to shame; better not talk about my one...........
wow, wow , wow, how are you doing that? ****, please tell me........
you must be stinking rich by now :cheesy:

Not really, as 1) that is not my system and 2) I have only been trading mine live for a couple of months. And if you are wondering how I do "that", you can just look up any of my latest posts which have clear setups, explanations, tactics and strategy... if you would have taken the time to check that out you might not be looking around so much for other people to give out information for free while it is abundantly available on this site.

PS: I've also have a journal here which gows into detail a lot...

Edit: and if you have a working system of your own, why not post it in here and ask people on suggestions on how to improve that? Seems like a better depature point to me, and you'll likely to get more positive reactions.

firewalker99 said:
The real question should be, do you need to win 80% of the time to make money?

You're right Firewalker, you don't need to win 80% of the time to make money. It all depends on what your average win is, against what your average loss is. My Dow system has an average win of 26.6 points versus an average loss of 28.7 - so as you can see it needs a high win rate to be successful.

Although I'm not trading the system at the moment - I'm doing contracting work for a company and this doesn't allow me to trade during the day - I am still keeping records of the system performance. At the moment the win rate is 79.6% (it's still keeping within the 78-80% win rate) and has generated net points of 2723 over 177 trades (this takes into account all losses and 4 point spread per trade). This gives the system a positive expectancy of 3.61 - which is still less than I started with, but something I am happy with.

At the moment I'm trading an overnight system with a win ratio of 49% however the average win is 1.7 times bigger than the average loss, which makes it still a winning system.