50k in a SB account looking for 12.5% return

The easiest solution is to put the money in the bank at this time. Open a demo account for 50k and then make 12.5% on it to see where you stand. After that take the plunge.

You really need to understand that you WILL lose it if you do not have any prior experience in trading or investing in the open markets.

I had to lose $25k before I realised this was not the game to be in with immuture knowledge.

Save your money. Build it up in a demo and then see where you stand.

Just take the demo trade for 1 month. I am sure you will have a different perspective.

Sorry, but this is a particularly dumb answer ( no offence) Until you've traded in real life, you can not begin to imagine the physcological difference. I'd actually be interested as a side bar, to find how many good "paper" traders have made the move across to being good real traders?

Also the fact that with no experience he expects to make money on year 1 is unrealistic. I'm lucky in that I was trained by City trading houses for 25 years, but otherwise? who on earth expects to be an Architect or Dentist with not training nor experience?

CT

Sorry, but this is a particularly dumb answer ( no offence) Until you've traded in real life, you can not begin to imagine the physcological difference. I'd actually be interested as a side bar, to find how many good "paper" traders have made the move across to being good real traders?

Also the fact that with no experience he expects to make money on year 1 is unrealistic. I'm lucky in that I was trained by City trading houses for 25 years, but otherwise? who on earth expects to be an Architect or Dentist with not training nor experience?

CT

I dabbled in brain surgery for years before truning pro. Never had any complaints.

The easiest solution is to put the money in the bank at this time. Open a demo account for 50k and then make 12.5% on it to see where you stand. After that take the plunge.

You really need to understand that you WILL lose it if you do not have any prior experience in trading or investing in the open markets.

I had to lose $25k before I realised this was not the game to be in with immuture knowledge.

Save your money. Build it up in a demo and then see where you stand.

Just take the demo trade for 1 month. I am sure you will have a different perspective.

Thank you for your comments but perhaps you missed my comment about having accounts for nearly 4 years (SB accounts only)

I played the demo accounts prior to opening live accounts but agree with most others that demo and live are two different animals at the end of the day.

I intend to update this thread over the course of one year if I can starting from around March 1st with the 50k spread over 3 accounts.

CT

I believe you are both partially right, and partially wrong, I too lost $25,000 over 8 years real trading, but it was like $4000 at a time, I was also demo trading every now and then during those 8 years and could not achieve consistent profits on the demo either, always lost in both.

After that, I spent the following 3 years on demo trading, further system evaluation and some premium training by veterans, and did manage to turn around my trading.

The first problem with small live accounts is the pressure to make money there and then (profits are too small to make a difference in your life, pay the bills, too small to withdraw), as far as psychology goes, there's no difference between demo and live when acc is large ($20,000+)

The problem with live trading, especially SB is you have liquidity problems and bad filling price at trading large.

when you are under extreme pressure you will lose, even on demo trading, try to win a forex competition spanning over one month, you risk fake money to win a real cash prize, you have to trade every trade and achieve max results within that month, I tried and I lost.

When trading demo without pressure, without trying to compete against others,
I can always have a winning month. This can be replicated with real money.

By the way, it was Alpari's competition, I started with $20,000 demo acc, went up to $35,000, then feared that someone else would win by making more, so I made stupid reckless trades while my normal market criteria were not there,
went up to $39,000 then blew it all in few days, and the winner of the competition HAD WON the real $5000 prize by a very similar figure, very close
to $39,000 if I remember right:rolleyes:

Certainly agree with above sentiment regarding HAVING to make profits, rather than not being under pressure (my own situation) and taking my time looking for positions......

A few years ago when I was forcing the issue with non existant positions I to was losing.

With SB stakes from 10p on live SB accounts, I don't understand why people have to lose so much money before realising they need a complete rethink. Why not start with a few hundred quid (preferably donated by the SB) and learn how to be disciplined and manage your meagre resources?

Thank you for your comments but perhaps you missed my comment about having accounts for nearly 4 years (SB accounts only)

I played the demo accounts prior to opening live accounts but agree with most others that demo and live are two different animals at the end of the day.

I intend to update this thread over the course of one year if I can starting from around March 1st with the 50k spread over 3 accounts.

Alright then I wish you the best of luck.

If you make it big please free beers for every one who participated in this thread!

;)

Alright then I wish you the best of luck.

If you make it big please free beers for every one who participated in this thread!

;)

Goes without saying that beers for all supportive posters......:smart::smart:

Stay on demo account until you are winning, don't risk a penny. When you are confident that you are getting more wins than losses for at least 6 months with a good money management plan then it's time to think about going live.

I would say get to know the platform, do not continue demo trading too long, it will definitively hurt you in live trading. Get a real trading account with smallest entry level (pennies if possible). Be prepared that learning to trade live will cost you some money initially. Do not trade with "scared" money, trade with money you can afford to lose. Yes a risk & money management plan for you daily trading is essential to stay in the game when times get tough, do not think that you mentally can be in control without it.

I would say get to know the platform, do not continue demo trading too long, it will definitively hurt you in live trading. Get a real trading account with smallest entry level (pennies if possible). Be prepared that learning to trade live will cost you some money initially. Do not trade with "scared" money, trade with money you can afford to lose. Yes a risk & money management plan for you daily trading is essential to stay in the game when times get tough, do not think that you mentally can be in control without it.

Am I the only one reading the posts where I make clear that I've had demo accounts in the past, and live accounts relatively successful for nearly 4 years....:confused::confused:

Am I the only one reading the posts where I make clear that I've had demo accounts in the past, and live accounts relatively successful for nearly 4 years....:confused::confused:

With that in mind I suppose the obvious question is why do you need to ask us in the first place.

With that in mind I suppose the obvious question is why do you need to ask us in the first place.

The cold winter nights must simply fly by in your home.......

You just post buddy for the sake of a count, pure and simple......

Go back and read my few opening posts. I'm blocking you now because you're extremely boring in every thread you contribute to........absolutely nothing constructive.

Wonder how many new members get turned off by attitudes like yours ??(n)

The cold winter nights must simply fly by in your home.......

You just post buddy for the sake of a count, pure and simple......

Go back and read my few opening posts. I'm blocking you now because you're extremely boring in every thread you contribute to........absolutely nothing constructive.

Wonder how many new members get turned off by attitudes like yours ??(n)

Speaking for myself, I find his posts excellent. Far better than the kind of tripe you contribute.

Sorry I missed out on this information. I've got the impression from your initial post that you had not been around that long.

No worries.....have held the live accounts for some time and successful on 2 but less so on the other....

Never really traded "actively" on any of them but am "well up" overall after 4 years whilst I read that 85% of retail traders empty their accounts within 6 months, so cant be all bad...