50k in a SB account looking for 12.5% return

My dream country to settle in, is Indonesia, at first I didn't like what was going on there, following the Bali bombings and the terrorists, but as far as life and nice Asian women it wins out, as soon as you go you will be about 7 times richer , the average monthly salary is about $100.

Many Brits are retiring there, it might be possible to invest in a house, and rent it out at good rates, those people were offering me luxurious homes for like 600euro a month, when the purchase price is about 50K, but I'm not sure if they
really find people to rent them out to.

To be honest I don't believe in real estate investing, but there are other, more difficult investment ideas that would be very successful in Asia, it depends on you.

the question is how far would 50K go in that area, there are for example people who might want to start a Biofuel project or a recycling project, they have the technical knowledge, there's plenty of raw materials, but they don't have the tools and the capital to get started. This kind of 'green' investing can far outperform real estate, and you can test the waters with a fraction of the capital, maybe only 3k-5K, before you need to get licensed.

as crude oil can only rise from now on, alternative fuels will be one of the best markets in Asia

That would involve some hard work. These guys want to spend ten minutes a day on their computers and make money.

That would involve some hard work. These guys want to spend ten minutes a day on their computers and make money.

My advice is to stay away from spread betting and trading, since it will take him at least 2 frustrating years to become profitable ( 2 stressful years in the best case scenario) it took me more than 8 frustrating and agonizing years to figure out profitable trading!

If you do a real business, such as green fuels, you A) make a lot of money that it's impossible to make with any trading system, and B) you can use that money to buy real stocks, every time they make a bottom, there's no need to be sitting at a computer 10 hours a day attempting to trade

Biofuels and waste disposal is a business that is very profitable, second only to drug dealing, but those involved downplay the numbers and never mention how much they really make, I agree that is a laborious and dirty work, but in Asia you can afford to get workers easily

Last edited:
My advice is to stay away from spread betting and trading, since it will take him at least 2 frustrating years to become profitable ( 2 stressful years in the best case scenario) it took me more than 8 frustrating and agonizing years to figure out profitable trading!

If you do a real business, such as green fuels, you A) make a lot of money that it's impossible to make with any trading system, and B) you can use that money to buy real stocks, every time they make a bottom, there's no need to be sitting at a computer 10 hours a day attempting to trade

Biofuels and waste disposal is a business that is very profitable, second only to drug dealing, but those involved downplay the numbers and never mention how much they really make, I agree that is a laborious and dirty work, but in Asia you can afford to get workers easily

Indeed labour costs are very low.......In Thailand the minimum wage has just been increased but still stands at just under £5 a DAY....

When we built one of our houses the labour was a fraction of the materials rather than the other way around in the UK....

The wife has a Restaurant in Northern Thailand which could easily subsidise us to the day we die but am actively as originally stated looking for 4-5 sources of income.

Thought I would update this thread and although I moved the goalposts from the OP in as much as the initial money is spread across 5 different accounts the accumulative balance has risen to £54,175 and in addition the withdrawal amount (careful with my words as slaughtered previously) each month has been taken out of the two best performing accounts, in the amount set as per OP.......

Trading has been virtually exclusively on Dax/FTSE/CAC with occasional forays into forex (which are/have been loss making).......

The main point that has been different as that I have been in the UK throughout so without question I have had better access to information than I would have had in the Far East.

Not brilliant and far from it but quietly satisfied for now, considering how little time I have spent in front of a screen....

Last edited: