2000i Data Feed

Bunyip said:
PTCM,

You have to pay a one off fee for Metaserver, but the data from IB is just about free (only exchange fees, which are fairly minimal). I used to use eSignal with TS2000i, but now save myself £160+ per month with IB. I ran both in parallel for a while and couldn't spot the difference. The deciding factor for me was that Metaserver provided a backfill capacity on IB, which eSignal has had for a few years.

I run the datafeed 24 hours a day, using TWStart to re-start TWS when it logs off.

I was not sure why you cannot get the Hang Seng into Global Server - if IB provide the instrument to trade against (and stream the data) then you can capture it in Global Server.

I haven't tried to automate any strategies (ie. TS automatically placing the orders on IB), but TS will give me the signals for the orders.

Hope this helps.

Bunyip,

I was also thinking openning an account with IB and and try to connect TWS with TS2Ki. The problem is every time I called IB's tech support. They told me they are not responsible for the datafeed integration. I have no way to find out how to set it up......

Trader333, what specifically does the "back fill" fuction does ? Automatically clean up the bad ticks ??? many thanks.....

Ptcm,
The procedure for setting up your datafeed to TS2k will depend on what utilitiy you choose, and it is up to that 3rd party to help you out at that point. IB provides a great API to connect to, but can't be responsible for other people's software. If you want to know how to set it up, you will have to get in touch with either metaserver or hypertrader, depending on who you choose.

The backfill function, btw, is access to historical data for up to 6 months. It is time based, so each 'bar' will have open, high, low, close. It is primarily intended to fill a gap on your chart , and works very well for that.

Steve

riddle said:
Ptcm,
The procedure for setting up your datafeed to TS2k will depend on what utilitiy you choose, and it is up to that 3rd party to help you out at that point. IB provides a great API to connect to, but can't be responsible for other people's software. If you want to know how to set it up, you will have to get in touch with either metaserver or hypertrader, depending on who you choose.

The backfill function, btw, is access to historical data for up to 6 months. It is time based, so each 'bar' will have open, high, low, close. It is primarily intended to fill a gap on your chart , and works very well for that.

Steve

riddle,

Thanks very much for you info. So even if I open an account with IB, I still need to get Metaserver to extract the data from TWS ? I was under the impression that TWS has the ability to feed the real-time data into 2000i directly.....

Trader333, what specifically does the "back fill" fuction does ? Automatically clean up the bad ticks ??? many thanks.....

I am not sure why you have asked me this but backfill just allows you to acquire some historical data.

Paul

ptcm said:
Bunyip,

I was also thinking opening an account with IB and and try to connect TWS with TS2Ki. The problem is every time I called IB's tech support. They told me they are not responsible for the datafeed integration. I have no way to find out how to set it up......

Trader333, what specifically does the "back fill" function does ? Automatically clean up the bad ticks ??? many thanks.....

It is fairly straight forward to setup. You set Global Server to DBC Online and then install Metaserver. From memory, the Metaserver install will integrate whatever is necessary with Global Server.

Global Server has integration with a number of datafeeds, but those it doesn't, require a third party interface (such as Metaserver) to convert data to the required format.

If you have data from a previous feed, export it from Global Server before installing Metaserver, otherwise there is a good chance that you will not be able to access it again.

You then set up a template with the symbols you want to collect on Metaserver and set up the symbols in Global Server (symbol names can be anything, but must match on both sides). Metaserver also has a link with the symbol name in IB (which is not necessarily the same as used in Global Server).

Then it is a matter of starting IB, starting Metaserver (with the correct template, that contains your symbols) and then starting Global Server on-line.

The backfill function is great if your machine/internet connection/etc. goes down and you need to have complete charts.

It doesn't require any technical knowledge to get the whole thing working and the Metaserver instructions are good. You can get a free trial on Metaserver (two symbols only). I set this up on another machine to test the setup and to ensure that I was happy with the way worked before putting it on my trading platform.

Hope this helps.

Hyperserver is available but you have to pay for it. Even if someone did have an older copy it will not work because it is time limited and all copies stopped working on January 1st this year.

I suggest that you email them on [email protected]

Paul