The FTSE 2006

mark twain uk said:
I too closed my short from mid 90's for 38 points, nice but I closed it too early

UK hero, you have my simpathy, I sooooo know how it feels to be on the wrong side of the market, you are taking some risks here, the market could go either way, I think there will be some pull back, that's why i closed my short tonight, but try to make sure that you limit any further downside or it may wipe out more than your week's profit.

Thanks MT

I intend to edge my bet with another company.

The downside is, I've bet heavy and so will have to edge my position equaly so.

Lets see which hat the FTSE wears tomorrow

uk

ukhero said:
Thanks MT

I intend to edge my bet with another company.

The downside is, I've bet heavy and so will have to edge my position equaly so.

Lets see which hat the FTSE wears tomorrow

uk

Well I have gone long @ 5739 - stop @ 5730, wouldnt be surprised to see another 30 pts in either direction!

ukhero,

did you manage to get out above 560 this morning or are you hoping to get out at break even?

Cruise ship missing in the Red sea - 1300 people on board. Bodies and lifeboats are seen in the water.
Terrorism & therefore a possible short ? ?? ?

unfortunately unless it happens on US soil effect of terrorism is small on the markets.

newsoros said:
Cruise ship missing in the Red sea - 1300 people on board. Bodies and lifeboats are seen in the water.
Terrorism & therefore a possible short ? ?? ?
No reason at this stage to suspect terrorism.
Early reports suggest the weather was very bad overnight and that this was still hampering rescue attempts.
Also, as another poster suggested, terrorist attacks don't really affect markets unless they're against Western targets or Oil production facilities.

that's true, if it was oil related there would have been fireworks. The inital reports were saying the tanker was "missing", which I thought could possibly suggest a hijack. BUT I still feel had this been a terrorist incident, we would have seen a fall on general market sympathy. Even thought its not on US soil, the sheer number of people would have shook traders. Markets used to fall on power cuts at airports, abeit not for long, but there was always a reaction to the worse possible scenario

but a power cut in say Egypt's national Airport wouldn't cause market negativity. How much effect did the Bali bombings have and even the Madrid one's were minimal...even the UK ones only caused a 1 day dip. An if you think about it...911 effect was no way as large as one would have expect considering some traders are expecting retests of 2002-3 lows based on general Economics. So always see how themarket reacts at the time...never anticipate a reaction...cause the people you are anticpating don't even know how they are going to react until they so .............if that maks sense :)

in terms of effect, im talking about intra day volatility. and then nearly always a bounce right back upto previous levels. and even then, nearly all of my experience has been in the bond markets, which always have reacted( however short term) to such incidents. so for example, when there was a power cut/shut down of services at Manchester airport in 2004, bonds initially shot up and the FTSE/DAX came off immediately - and then reversing when it found out it was nothing. I take your point on anticipation, but this is purely 'reflex-reaction' if you will - a short term (secs,mins, hours) .

Very annoyed today - i went long below 5740 and my tight stop got hit. Frustrating day

mark twain uk said:
ftse cash on cmc flying after the close, we may see a traditional friday rally in the us
FTSE Cash Market currently (17.38) at 5760, just 1pt above todays close !

mark twain uk said:
ukhero,

did you manage to get out above 560 this morning or are you hoping to get out at break even?

I shuffled my stop gap and got burnt; add to that, I edged my position on a simple FTSE down, and as we know it went up 12pts.

Yes, it was one of those days.

UK

The FTSE, Monday 6th February 2006

Friday's results:
Close: 5759, up 12pts [0.21%].
Range: 5728 - 5766.

Last 5 trading days: down 27pts [-0.47%]
On the month: evens

Friday's Dow:
10793, down 58pts [0.54%]

Last 5 trading days: down 120pts [-1.1%]
On the month: down 69pts [-0.63%]

News items of note:

None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Friday's stated a fall. Monday, a strong possibility of a rise.

Companies reporting:

Albemarle & Bond
Autonomy Corp
Cambridge Antibody Tech
Randgold Resources
SCS Upholstery
Amvescap

[plenty of big guns this week]

Economic Data:
None.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's moderate fall on Friday reduced the FSTE's rise by twenty points; this coming week sees plenty of company results and all being well the market will rise both tomorrow and Tuesday; charts say a strong possibility of a rise.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? Going a small Long.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Tuesday 7th February 2006

Monday's results:
Close: 5772, up 13pts [0.23%].
Range: 5759 - 5790.

Last 5 trading days: down 7pts [-0.12%]
On the month: up 12pts [wilting a bit]

Monday's Dow:
10798, up 4pts [0.04%]

Last 5 trading days: down 102pts [-0.93%]
On the month: down 64pts [-0.58%]

Both markets appear to be grinding to a halt, this is not uncommon for the time of year. In all, February has a tendency to be a two up one down, two up two down type of month.

News items of note:

LONDON (ShareCast) - London's blue chip index closed with reduced gains despite some plenty of bid gossip as an unconvincing start on Wall Street had sellers banking profits.

Worth a read:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060206/ap_on_bi_ge/oil_middle_east

TimesOnline - 'A leading economic adviser with links to the Treasury today called on the Government to introduce a wealth tax on property which could cost average householders £2,000 a year, after his organisation warned that house prices in the UK are overvalued by as much as 20 per cent..' - No doubt to help pay for the war in Iraq.

Charts, and nothing but the charts:Monday's stated a strong possibility of a rise. Tuesday's charts conflict between a minor fall before a rise and a rise.

Companies reporting:

Amvescap
Aviva
BP
Danka Business Systems
Dicom Group
Dobbies
Easyjet
XP Power
Yell Group
Alphameric
BOC Group

Economic Data:
00:01, UK BRC Sales Monitor for Jan [last] 2.6 [FC] 1.5

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: The DOW struggled to make any headway before ending the day almost at evens dragging the FTSE down in the process by approx 12pts; charts conflict; quite a mixed bag of companies reporting to rattle the market; takeovers are still tweaking the Bulls.

Early gut feeling: neutral at the moment.

Will I bet? No plans as of yet.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

These summaries are very useful. Are your chart forecasts based on intraday movement for the next day? I don't know if you've done it before on this forum but I would be interested to know more detail as to how you arrive at your daily estimations of movement - just from a personal learning point of view.

This is bad news for the FTSE:

Scrooge returns to haunt retailers

Telegraph By Edmund Conway, Economics Editor.

Retailers have had their worst New Year for more than a decade, according to figures today that reignite fears for the high street and the wider economy.

High street sales rose by just 0.2pc in the 12 months to the end of January, the British Retail Consortium said. The like-for-like figures are the worst since the survey began in 1995, and dash hopes that retailers have bounced back following one of the worst years on record.

UK

i guess it all depnds on how you interpret it. Only a few weeks back they were saying how good the post Chrimbo sales were. Also if it's the worse like for like sales since 1995...all you have to do is look back to 1995 and see how the FTSE reacted then. The point being data like this does not drive the markets like it probably would have done in the 80s imo. There are still only 100(approx) in the FTSE 100 but the number of players has increase dramatically. This means that more players are looking for the same thing. Obviously they aren't all buy and hold value investors, by nature they can't be....not enough share to go aorund. That's what the markets more technically and profit (on the trade) driven than ever before.

well said Hooya. also weak retail sales opens the door to interest rate cuts sooner rather than later, providing some support

Hooya said:
i guess it all depnds on how you interpret it. Only a few weeks back they were saying how good the post Chrimbo sales were. Also if it's the worse like for like sales since 1995...all you have to do is look back to 1995 and see how the FTSE reacted then. The point being data like this does not drive the markets like it probably would have done in the 80s imo. There are still only 100(approx) in the FTSE 100 but the number of players has increase dramatically. This means that more players are looking for the same thing. Obviously they aren't all buy and hold value investors, by nature they can't be....not enough share to go aorund. That's what the markets more technically and profit (on the trade) driven than ever before.

solentsurfer said:
These summaries are very useful. Are your chart forecasts based on intraday movement for the next day? I don't know if you've done it before on this forum but I would be interested to know more detail as to how you arrive at your daily estimations of movement - just from a personal learning point of view.

Charts: I use two separate charting systems. The first provides me with a monthly, weekly and daily overview, added to which are several settings; and the other is an intraday, again with several settings.

More Detail: in general, my daily FTSE is just a snippet of my homework. I could go on for hours writing every bit of data, adding news reports and cross references. In fact, I could spend several hours on the post. As I've said its just a token offering to the forum. But I've often wondered what else would be beneficial for readers of this forum without me having to spend too much valuable evening time. I've yet to come to a penning conclusion.

Yours

UK