Range: 5760 - 5793.

Last 5 trading days: up 21pts [0.36%].
On the month: up 33pts [0.57%].

Monday's Dow:
10892, down 26pts [0.24%].

Last 5 trading days: up 96pts [0.88%].
On the month: up 30pts [0.27%]

News items of note:

Money Telegraph - 'Debts taken on by British families have overtaken the size of the economy for the first time. People have borrowed so much their total debt outstripped Britain's gross domestic product over the new year. The landmark came barely 18 months after British household debt passed £1 trillion, and came as bankruptcies have soared to record levels.'

London midday: FTSE nears intraday high.

LONDON (ShareCast) - 'Upbeat brokers and ongoing takeover talk helped UK shares extend gains into the afternoon, overshadowing losses among heavyweight miners. Traders continue to pin hopes on big offer for Gatwick and Heathrow airport owner BAA, with the weekend newspapers suggesting bosses are holding out for a 900p per share offer.'

Worth a read:
Banks are poised to unveil year of record profits: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2037780,00.html#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=Business

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Monday's stated an early rise. Tuesday's are debatable.

Companies reporting:
British Land Co
Carter & Carter

Economic Data:
09:30 UK CPI -RPI Jan.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW shuffled down a touch but not enough to upset the FTSE tomorrow; company and economic news is tame; charts are in a quandary; best follow the early morning news for the FTSE's direction.

Areas to watch: the miners. They're still falling.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? Nope. Did well today so won't spoil it by betting for the sake of it. As it stands, I'll be watching the market open, and like wise will be keeping a close eye on the Banks and Miners. Both markets are at evens at the moment and can slip either way or end up exactly where they started by end of play.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

Hi UK

My indicators point to 5860. Is it agreeable to you or any counter arguments?

cheers,
LVG

"If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go."

One thing I have found is not to pay attention to the news - it's all in the price anyway...

leovirgo said:
Hi UK

My indicators point to 5860. Is it agreeable to you or any counter arguments?

cheers,
LVG

I've only just finished work so I've yet to conclude my homework. So far, my data says a strong possibility of a rise tomorrow, but its still too early for me to bet. As we can see, the DOW and the S&P are having a bubbling day, and as I write they are still rising. But there's a lot of economic news due out tomorrow so I'll continue with my homework.

Good luck.

UK

Tobaccos and miners tomorrow should be worth watching

Smoking ban in all pubs and clubs
Smoking in pub
Ministers have argued about the extent of a ban
MPs have voted by a huge margin to ban smoking from all pubs and private members' clubs in England.

and
BLT results tomorrow

Last edited:
The FTSE, Wednesday 15th February 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 5792, down 1pt [-0.02%].
Range: 5773 - 5828. An up down day with a swing of 55pts.

Last 5 trading days: up 46pts [0.80%].
On the month: up 32pts [0.55%].

Tuesday's Dow:
11028, up 136pts [1.25%].

Last 5 trading days: up 286pts [2.66%].
On the month: up 166pts [1.52%]

It may seem to be running a little too fast over the five day period, but for the month it's about right. Don't be over keen on going short tomorrow based on what goes up lots comes down tons.

News items of note:

Worth a read:
http://money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/02/14/cnchina14.xml

London afternoon: Oil majors take FTSE south
LONDON (ShareCast) - Oil majors took a hit today as crude prices skidded through $61 a barrel, while PartyGaming (LSE: PRTY.L - news) racked up losses on fears about possible legislation in the US, sending blue chips lower.

US light crude for March delivery is currently down 63 cents at $60.61 a barrel as supply concerns recede further, tripping up BP , Shell, BG and Cairn Energy.

PartyGaming topped the large cap fallers though as investors sold out on talk that anti-Internet gambling legislation is gaining momentum in the US.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday's were debatable. Wednesday's favour a sedate rise.

Companies reporting:

BHP Billiton
Liberty Int'l
Zetex

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Unemployment
10:30 UK Bank of England Inflation Report

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW bolted ahead today but failed to move our beloved FTSE, however, expect the market to open up higher anywhere between 5-20pts; Company results are tame but economic news may bring a pleasant surprise; charts appeared unaffected by the DOW's performance but still predict a small rise.

Areas to watch: Tobacco related companies, miners, oil.

Take note of the Governments Tobacco ban; miners started to turn today and I see an additional rise tomorrow; will we see oil at $59 tomorrow? Is it the fly in the ointment!

Early gut feeling: early rise.

Will I bet? Will be looking to join the market for a Long.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

Morris. "One thing I have found is not to pay attention to the news - it's all in the price anyway..."[/QUOTE said:
Mmmm.

In my comment I relate to, World, UK, and share related news. Yes the price is reflected by worldly happenings, but its always best to be ahead of the market if only by a fraction.

UK

You cannot be 'ahead' of the market !

Once you know, EVERYONE knows.

Last edited:
and in fact you want to be a fraction behind the market...you want to follow the direction...not guess it. Thats why most of the top/bottom pickers fail.

It's true individual Company news is nearly always already factored in by the time the news is released. However, being aware of economic news releases does have some relevance, particularly if trading indexes intraday. The Dow is perhaps more reactionary than the FTSE but large moves can and do happen on the release of economic data - the Dow can easily move up to 50-100 points on the release of A rated economic news. Trying to second guess these moves when intraday trading for 30-40 point moves can be dangerous and best to be flat.

I don't work the UK side of things, but noticed Hooya had posted on this thread and always keen to see what this man has to say. Rarely have anything to add.

But his remark just happened to coincide with something else I had been looking at relating to the need to follow rather than second-guess market action...

Over-Focus on MONEY leads to===>
Fantasies of Wealth and Fears of Losses which lead to ===>
Security Issues in Emotional Brain which is evidenced by===>

Over-Trading
Second-Guessing
Impatience
Rule Breaking

I have been there. And I'm probably the only one who ever has or ever will be... :LOL:

the point re news is if you are tarding purely on technical analysis then news is pointless. If you are in a trade pre news you have your stop in place and thats it. The reaction on news all count imo on a chart so if it spikes and breaks a resistance level so be it. If you are worried that your systems gets effected by thes spikes then stay flat. If you are flat do you need to worry about data? No is my answer. Wait for it. once it passes you have to take your next signal. So let it pass and move on. Think the problem comes when people try to interpret it. "oh that was bad so that will make the Fed do this that and the other which will make bonds do this which will make the spx do this".....a very dangerous game. At the end of the day the ones who create the market don't know how they are going to react until after the event either.

As always superb intelligent post by Mr Bramble, a man (I think) worth taking note of! Hooya also has some very wise words.
We all set set out trying to predict and guess the markets and all learn the hard way. Dont predict, follow!

That said, UKhero has some very educated analysis and his opinion is very often correct. Well done to all.

Yep, I watch this thread and rarely post as I intraday trade the FTSE (among others) and rarely play until the open has settled down and given some direction.

Dave

The FTSE, Thursday 16th February 2006

Wednesday's results:
Close: 5791, down 0.8pt [-0.01%].
Range: 5780 - 5814. Another up down day with a swing of 34pts. Ideal for scalpers but a nightmare for others.

Last 5 trading days: up 66pts [1.15%].
On the month: up 31pts [0.53%].

Still in-line with the month and as such can go eitherway.

Wednesday's Dow:
11058, up 30pts [0.28%].
Last 5 trading days: up 199pts [1.83%].
On the month: up 196pts [1.80%]

News items of note:

Worth a read:
Cut likely as inflation falls to 1.9pc:

http://money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/02/15/cnecon15.xml

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday's favoured a sedate rise. Thursday's have no definitive direction.

Companies reporting:

Bradford & Bingley
Diageo
Enodis
Kingfisher
Reed Elsevier

Economic Data:
00:30 UK RICS Housing Market Jan
09:30 UK Retail Sales Jan [should prove interesting]

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's minor rise won't be adding any favours in the morning; company results should be tame but Retail Sales is the one to eye; charts are unclear; early morning news is the one to watch.

Areas to watch: miners, oil, retail related companies.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? Waisted three hours [on and off] watching the FTSE on Wednesday waiting for the right entry point to go Long. Glad I held back. Tomorrow, seeing as nothing is screaming one way or another, I'll go with the POM system [PS]. Since the start of the year the PS has had a success rating of 70% in regards to the markets direction. Tomorrow it predicts a weak possibility of a rise, and as such, either don't bet, or bet a small Long. I'll be looking for the small long.

Yours

UK

Hi UK,
Please put us out of our misery, what is the PS, POM system

Thanks
Dave

The FTSE, Friday 17th February 2006

Thursday's results:
Close: 5828, up 37pts [0.65%].
Range: 5780 - 5828. This is the FTSE's highest point since June 2001.

Last 5 trading days: up 20pts [0.34%].
On the month: up 68pts [1.18%].

Thursday's Dow:
11120, up 61pts [0.56%].

Last 5 trading days: up 237pts [2.17%].
On the month: up 258pts [2.37%]

The Dow's beginning to look a tad heavy over the five day period.

News items of note:

Worth a read:
9,473,000 people of working age in Britain are without a job:
http://money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/02/16/cnemp16.xml

LONDON (ShareCast) - 'London stocks made a last minute dash for the finishing line in closing trades, finishing at new four and a half year highs as bullish talk in the market enticed buyers.' - The Bulls believe there's profit in shares and hence the market moves to dizzy heights.

Recommended reading:
Recovery in doubt as new year sales slump -By Andrew Ellson:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,16849-2043345,00.html#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=Business

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday's had no definitive direction. The FTSE rose 18pts in the last half hour of trading today and one must wonder why, and as such they predict an early morning dip. Thereafter, who knows!

Companies reporting:

Go-Ahead
Isotron

Economic Data:
None.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's surge over the past five days hasn't dragged the FTSE along by much; the markets reached a peak and investors are cautious and jittery; charts are unable to predict tomorrow with any degree of clarity; company results are tame and there's no economic news; it could quite easily slip back to 5800, or race towards 5900 in the hope that no particular calamity will knock on the door.

Areas to watch: miners are back in favour, but will it last? I think not. Oil is still shuffling, and gold is begining to loose its economic lustre.

Early gut feeling: mixed.

Will I bet? I'll sit back and watch.

The POM system says: don't bet.

Yours

UK