Range: 5734 - 5781.

Last 5 trading days: down 14pts [-0.24%]
On the month: as above.

Tuesday's Dow:

10749, down 48pts [0.45%]

Last 5 trading days: down 113pts [-1.04%]
On the month: as above.

News items of note:

FT.com - 'London equities markets finished with losses on Tuesday, as the heavily weighted oil sector lost ground after disappointing fourth quarter numbers from BP and easing crude pr ices.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday's charts conflicted between a minor fall before a rise and a rise. Wednesday's charts state a rise.

Companies reporting:
Alphameric
BOC Group
Glaxosmithkline
Scottish Power

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Industrial Production and Manufacturing Production, both for Dec.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW had another dire day and continued to fall after the FTSE closed [we may see the FTSE open down by 8pts]; charts predict a rise; SMK is the company to watch tomorrow; if the economic results are bad expect a 30pt drop before lunch.

Early gut feeling: none.

Will I bet? It all hinges on the economic results. Best wait until the news is released. If good, a 20-25pt rise, if bad, a 40pt drop by end of play.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

FTSE currently at 5734, with the DOW looking to open up. any idea where we go from here >?

With no economic news of any significance, it may be that the Dow drifts back to yesterdays close, or thereabouts, before the open. This happens quite a lot if it hasn't moved more than 30/40 points and been drifting above and below the previous days close. FTSE may follow at first. Once Wall St opens I have no idea at the moment :confused:

newsoros said:
FTSE currently at 5734, with the DOW looking to open up. any idea where we go from here >?

FTSE @ 5732 down 15pts and the charts all say down. I'm waiting to go Long.

uk

the FTSR usually follows the dow in late afternoons, in a broad sense ? correct me if im wrong,

newsoros said:
the FTSR usually follows the dow in late afternoons, in a broad sense ? correct me if im wrong,

You are right. To a degree the FTSE does follow the DOW.

Notice how jittery the FTSE is at the moment. Best hold back.

UK

newsoros said:

maybe the dow follows the FTSE :)

downbytheriver7 said:
After a few days off , I missed some good action I am flat at the moment but looking to short around 5750.

Closing my short here for 20pts. Still think there is more downside to come.

downbytheriver7 said:
Closing my short here for 20pts. Still think there is more downside to come.
If you believe there is more downside to come why not use a trailing SL to lock in profit and let it run instead of closing it ?

The FTSE, Thursday 9th February 2006

Wednesday's results:
Close: 5724, down 22pts [0.39%].
Range: 5681 - 5746.

Last 5 trading days: down 77pts [-1.32%]
On the month: down 36pts [-0.61%]

Wednesday's Dow:
10858, up 108pts [1.01%]

Last 5 trading days: down -92pts [-0.84%]
On the month: down 4pts.

News items of note:

LONDON (ShareCast) - 'Miners pummel blue chip index. Gloomy miners ensured a dire finish for London's leading index, cancelling gains among in-favour utilities and a big showing from possible bid target BAA. UK airport operator BAA soared after rumours of bid interest were confirmed by Spain's Grupo Ferrovial (Madrid: FER.MC - news) , although Frankfurt airport owner Fraport denied earlier talk of an approach.'

FT.com - 'Manufacturing output last year was the weakest since 2002, according to official figures published on Wednesday. But, despite the weak numbers, the Bank of England's monetary policy committee is unlikely to cut interest rates on Thursday. It is expected to hold them at 4.5 per cent as mixed signals about the state of the economy make it difficult to produce a clear-cut case for a reduction.

Output rose by 0.3 per cent in December from an upwardly-revised 0.5 per cent increase in November. The broader measure of industrial production also expanded by 0.2 per cent in December on the previous month.

None of the 48 economists surveyed by Bloomberg expected the MPC to cut rates today and financial markets allow for no risk of a rate cut, having previously priced in the chance of one.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday's charts stated a rise. Thursday's charts state a rise.

Companies reporting:
BAA
BG Group
BT
Chrysalis Group
McBride
Rolls-Royce Group
Unilever

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Trade in Goods & Services for Dec [last] -6.0 [FC]-5.5
12:00 UK Bank of England Rate Announcement for Feb

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW had a storming day but even this failed to lift the ailing FTSE out of its doldrums; charts say a rise; a good mixture of companies reporting to provide, what will hopefully be, a much needed lift; economic news is the one to watch tomorrow.

Areas to watch:
Oil and Miners.

Early gut feeling:
a rise.

Will I bet? I waited all afternoon for the right moment to place a Long. I'm still waiting. I'll be watching the markets open, and again, looking for the right entry point.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Friday 10th February 2006

Thursday's results:
Close: 5808, up 83pts [1.46%].
Range: 5725 - 5808.

Last 5 trading days: up 61pts [1.06%]
On the month: up 48pts [0.83%]

Thursday's Dow:
10883, up 24pts [0.23%]

Last 5 trading days: up 34pts [0.31%]
On the month: up 21pts.

News items of note:

FT.com - ' London equities closed deep inside positive territory on Thursday after a strong showing from energy stocks, combined with further reports of imminent bid activity, led to a broad based rally.'

FT.com - 'Tesco to make first move into US grocery market. Tesco declared its intent on Thursday to enter the $600bn US grocery market, starting with a beach head on the West Coast, where it will role out a new format of express stores in a bold challenge to arch rival Wal Mart on its home turf.

The UK’s biggest retailer will invest up to £250m a year in stores modelled on the Tesco Express chain, and expects the business to develop through organic growth to break even in 2009, despite the challenge of moving into a highly competitive market.'

LONDON (ShareCast) - 'Oil prices fell on Wednesday as investors digested a mixed US weekly oil inventory report. The report said gasoline stocks rose 4.3m barrels last week, about double the rise expected by analysts. US crude and distillate stocks each fell 300,000 barrels, the report showed.

US light crude oil for March delivery fell 54 cents to settle at $62.55 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday's charts stated a rise. Fridays are debatable be err towards an early rise.

Companies reporting:
Compass Group
De Vere

Economic Data:
None.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the FTSE rose early and continued to rise throughout the day helped along by the DOW; charts favour an early morning rise; company and economic news is tame; look to the early morning news for the FTSE's direction.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? Hope you all did well on Thursday; I favour an early rise and will be looking to join the market for another Long.

Yours

UK

Dow may have closed up but the SPX is the more significant index, and it lost all its intraday gains to close down 1.87.

The FTSE, Monday 13th February 2006

Friday's results:
Close: 5764, down 44pts [-0.77%].
Range: 5764 - 5808.

Last 5 trading days: up 5pts.
On the month: up 4pts. After 8 trading days the FTSE remains almost unchanged.

Friday's Dow:
10919, up 35pts [0.33%]. Note the reverse swing of 100pts on the days low of 10820 and one which came too late in the day to save the ailing FTSE.

Last 5 trading days: up 126pts [1.2%], a touch strong.
On the month: up 57pts [0.52%]

News items of note:

FT.com - 'London equities lost ground on Friday, as softening oil and metal prices on global commodities markets fostered losses for oil and mining stocks. Without support from two of its heavyweight sectors, the recent gains on Europe’s senior index, inspired by a flurry of bid talk, eased for the second consecutive session.

West Texas Intermediate crude prices slipped below $63 per barrel as London traders logged off for the weekend, with BP closing 1.2 per cent lower at 643.6p and Royal Dutch Shell’s A shares 1.5 per cent weaker at 1790p.

Mining stocks fell further: BHP Billiton ended the day 5 per cent behind at 976.8p, Antofagasta was 4 per cent softer at 2025.5p and Rio Tinto lost 3 per cent to 2846p.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Fridays charts were debatable but erred towards an early rise. Monday's also state an early rise.

Companies reporting:

Royalblue
Workspace

Economic Data:
09:30 UK PPI - Input (sa) month Jan
09:30 UK ODPM House Prices Dec

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's late afternoon rally on Friday may prove an early Monday morning kick-start for the FTSE; Charts predict an early rise; not much happening in regards to companies reporting but economic data may prove interesting. Watch the early morning news for any potencial momement.

Areas to watch: the miners, there may be a bounce back.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? Will watch the market open with the intention of going Long.

Yours

UK