Zen Futures

Yes, I have been told the same thing by an interviewer about maths/sci graduates- they do try and formulate the trading situations and it does end up driving them crazy. I understand that it is necessary to have a degree of spontaneity and to try and just accept certain market features and characteristics. Incidentally, if the wideboys have the guts to go all in, are they not just as likely to make massive losses as well as profits?

I am still currently very intersted in being a trader, but opportunities seem more and more scarce. I got a reply for one of the many trading jobs I applied for informing me that there were nearly 90 candidates for one place. Does anyone have any more job seeking suggestions or know of any openings?

Thanks.

tommog said:
manfan,

glad my post was of some use to you,

This is just my personal opinion from what i have seen but a lot of people that do well in terms of academic achievments particularly in the maths/science field (which a lot of trading jobs target their recruitment process at??) tend to have minds that look for a definitive answer, yes or no black or white and when they sit down at the screen they immediately try to create a formula that will "crack" the markets. From what i have seen these people as knowledgeable as they may be find it very hard to pull the trigger in the end, their mind is almost overloaded by all the variables the market throws up. Where as some of those wideboy characters you mention tend to have the sort of attitude where they feel they have nothing to lose, they dont stop and analyse every little movement. They see an opportunity and do it, trading is about probabilities the best traders in my experience are the ones that see the odds slightly in their favour and just do the trade, it is possible in trading to think too much and almost be too clever.

Tom

manfan said:
Yes, I have been told the same thing by an interviewer about maths/sci graduates- they do try and formulate the trading situations and it does end up driving them crazy. I understand that it is necessary to have a degree of spontaneity and to try and just accept certain market features and characteristics. Incidentally, if the wideboys have the guts to go all in, are they not just as likely to make massive losses as well as profits?

I am still currently very intersted in being a trader, but opportunities seem more and more scarce. I got a reply for one of the many trading jobs I applied for informing me that there were nearly 90 candidates for one place. Does anyone have any more job seeking suggestions or know of any openings?

Thanks.

manfan, I almost feel sorry for you buddy! It is tough getting started but you never know...maybe one day. One aspect of trading that I have not seen mentioned on this thread, is knowing when to cut your losses........ but of course, resilience is equally important!

On a serious note, if I were you I would (assuming you work if not get a job) scrimp and save enough to start trading for myself (as previously suggested to you) and continue applying. Showing the commitment/risk appetite of having saved and tried your hand at trading before applying (successful or not) could quite possibly lead to more interviews or at lease something more concrete to talk about during the process- how bad do you want this? You never know, perhaps you develop some brilliant system and then you won't need the arcade after all.

Best of luck

Self-trading definately worth considering. I did use the FXCM online practise account for sometime, but didn't really know what I was doing. As you say the idea was suggested to me by another forum member, but again I was slightly confused by his terminology. Could you suggest to me from scratch, in laymans terms how I could go about such a venture? What is the best source for trading techniques? Would a typical Broadband connection be adequate for trading? I am likely to start a PhD now, but trading on my own time is an option I would strongly consider.

Thanks.

Ras1974 said:
manfan, I almost feel sorry for you buddy! It is tough getting started but you never know...maybe one day. One aspect of trading that I have not seen mentioned on this thread, is knowing when to cut your losses........ but of course, resilience is equally important!

On a serious note, if I were you I would (assuming you work if not get a job) scrimp and save enough to start trading for myself (as previously suggested to you) and continue applying. Showing the commitment/risk appetite of having saved and tried your hand at trading before applying (successful or not) could quite possibly lead to more interviews or at lease something more concrete to talk about during the process- how bad do you want this? You never know, perhaps you develop some brilliant system and then you won't need the arcade after all.

Best of luck

Sorry I can't help you anymore (I don't trade from home) but I believe that all the info you require can be found on thie site.

What and where are you studying?

I can recommend the ICMA centre at Reading but fairly expensive.

Rgds,

manfan said:
Self-trading definately worth considering. I did use the FXCM online practise account for sometime, but didn't really know what I was doing. As you say the idea was suggested to me by another forum member, but again I was slightly confused by his terminology. Could you suggest to me from scratch, in laymans terms how I could go about such a venture? What is the best source for trading techniques? Would a typical Broadband connection be adequate for trading? I am likely to start a PhD now, but trading on my own time is an option I would strongly consider.

Thanks.

Ras1974 said:
Sorry I can't help you anymore (I don't trade from home) but I believe that all the info you require can be found on thie site.

What and where are you studying?

I can recommend the ICMA centre at Reading but fairly expensive.

Rgds,

I finished my masters in Computational Finance October 2005, I decided to take time out to see if I could find a better institution for my PhD. Aside frim this,I have since had about 5 interviews with seperate firms for futures trading. I also had three PhD starts in the pipeline- all of which fell through due to differing reasons. So I now have a year gap on my CV which I am very worried about. I have looked into ICMA, but their standards are amongst the highest and I do not have a history of distinctions. Even if I did apply, I would not be considered for entry until Autumn 2007.

I am currently still desperately looking for openings in futures trading, but opportunities are becoming more and more scarce. Again, if anyone knows of any recruiting please inform me.

Thanks.

You all need to get yourself into the indusrty as soon as possible . Get a grad job in the next best thing , trading software , go work for TT , easyscreen , trading screen , portware , GL , etc etc.
You'll get to meet a lot of Prop traders hedge , funds you name it. As what one post mentioned its not what you know its who you know. Two of my good friends are in prop trading , one has his own prop opperation the other runs a prop desk. If i hadn't been in the indusrty i would never have met them.
You need to have a back up plan as well , you always hear about the millionaire traders but never the ones that left becuase of stress , lost all their cash , wife left them , have no social life etc etc

Hey ManFan

Firstly best of luck with your jobs attempts. Maybe you should think out of the box for a while. Get yourself a part time job to pay your bare minimum living costs and live like a monk while:

a:Offering to work for a firm free of charge. Maybe 2 days a week (Futures, Options
Hedge,Fund Etc). Even just applying to a firm to do this they may wanna get you in just because of your dedication.

b Gaining a little experience. CV Etc

c: Working with the people that matter and can advise you what to do. ( after work drinks etc)

d: Showing future potential employers that your really serious.

Im part qual accountant background but now work in mortgage broking. Years ago i passed my SFA and was offered a job at a prop firm in the city doing accounting but refused as my heart was set on trading and thought that as i had experience in the oil markets i would get another chance.

Guess what i didnt.

Missed opportunity for me.

But my main aim now is to learn as much as i can so when i hit 45 i can retire from mortgage broking with my own funds and my own ability make sure i end up in the job ive always wanted.

You guessed it - A TRADER

Hope my 2 cents helps and once again best of luck.

Ged

PS: Review every option with a longer term view and think what every offer has for you in the long term