Worldcup !

USA USA
WOW..what an ending!!
USA -1
Slovenia - 0

woohoooo!!

I don't know which World Cup you are watching Pete but on my telly the USA were playing Algeria

??????????;)

Can you believe it our bunch finally woke up and beat ( you guessed it ) Slovenia 1 - 0

I don't know which World Cup you are watching Pete but on my telly the USA were playing Algeria

??????????;)

Can you believe it our bunch finally woke up and beat ( you guessed it ) Slovenia 1 - 0

I think he means that the USA have beaten Algeria and qualifed with England for the last 16 instead of Slovenia (thanks to America's 1-0 win over Algeria).

Nice one!!

Hey well done Kissing Cousins, both England and USA in the next round, congrats !!!

:)

USA USA
WOW..what an ending!!
USA -1
Slovenia - 0

woohoooo!!

Lucky Lucky USA .... I suppose a win is a win and it doesn't really matter if the USA deserved it or not ... but if the USA plays like that in the next game it will probably be their last ... unless of course they are lucky again.

England had a fantastic game could have scored 5 or 6 times and had a goal disallowed .... lots of lessons learnt and we will be that much better in the next match ..... :clap:

Lucky Lucky USA .... I suppose a win is a win and it doesn't really matter if the USA deserved it or not ... but if the USA plays like that in the next game it will probably be their last ... unless of course they are lucky again.

England had a fantastic game could have scored 5 or 6 times and had a goal disallowed .... lots of lessons learnt and we will be that much better in the next match ..... :clap:

i was excited. Some luck, of course, but USA had 2 goals disallowed in 3 games. That is near impossible to overcome. They had several quality chances this match. They did put the pressure on.

Peter

i was excited. Some luck, of course, but USA had 2 goals disallowed in 3 games. That is near impossible to overcome. They had several quality chances this match. They did put the pressure on.

Peter

S'ok Pete ... I was just messin' with you ... USA did what needed to be done and rightly went through to the knock out stages on merit ... Good luck in your next match ... maybe we'll meet in the final ... :LOL:

S'ok Pete ... I was just messin' with you ... USA did what needed to be done and rightly went through to the knock out stages on merit ... Good luck in your next match ... maybe we'll meet in the final ... :LOL:

lo. OK, ya got me! I was just defending the home team. We done good for once!
England -USA final would be awesome...even better if we win! :LOL:

Peter

Yes, well done USA - you deserved to win the group.
I watched the England game and I was really surprised by the pundits all saying how great we were. Granted, we played a lot better than we did against Algeria, but my local village team could have achieved that feat! All Spanish / Portugese speaking countries are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay way better than us. I can't see us beating any of them and, certainly, based even on today's form, there's no way we can win the competition.
Tim.

lo. OK, ya got me! I was just defending the home team. We done good for once!
England -USA final would be awesome...even better if we win! :LOL:

Peter

I'm not sure that is possible. Assuming both England and the USA can win their games they would actually meet in the Semi Finals, so they can't both win!!!

I think it would be quite cool if they met again, even in the Semis. In some ways I'd prefer if the USA win - you guys play better football (or soccer - that's the only thing I hate about you, why call it soccer?!)! ;)

. . . you guys play better football (or soccer - that's the only thing I hate about you, why call it soccer?!)! ;)
Yeah HT - that really bugs me too!
To our friends from the US - here's a quiz for you . . .
Q1. What does FIFA stand for?
Q2. Does the word Soccer start with the letter F?
Q3. Does the letter F appear in the title of the world governing body?
Q4. Who created the game of football and what did they call it, was it A. Football or B. Soccer?
Q5. True or false: The US game of 'Football' is played with an oval ball which the players are allowed to handle?
Etc. etc.
;)
P.S. If you wanted to call the game Feetball as opposed to Football, then you'd have a strong case!
Tim.

Last edited:
Yes, well done USA - you deserved to win the group.
I watched the England game and I was really surprised by the pundits all saying how great we were. Granted, we played a lot better than we did against Algeria, but my local village team could have achieved that feat! All Spanish / Portugese speaking countries are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay way better than us. I can't see us beating any of them and, certainly, based even on today's form, there's no way we can win the competition.
Tim.

Aw come'on Tim don't be so pessimistic.
They have just got started ( apparently the mascot had to make it there on foot, so took awhile :))

Good luck to the Germans BSD ( I got money riding on them after all !! )

Reactions: BSD
I'm sure people here know really, but the explanation of the origin of "soccer" is given, among other places, in the Wikipedia entry for Association Football. Check out the Oxford-er abbreviations also; quite interesting.

I don't mind if the Americans call it "soccer" (with their yommy soccer mommies and all - for Sopranos fans ... Janice Soprano ... the ultimate soccer mom :LOL: ).

What gets me is when people start using American sporting expressions which make no sense over here, e.g. "stepping up to the plate". I suppose that "ball park" is here to stay now, although it sounded very foreign at first.

Makes me want to go all über-English and start talking about "sticky wickets" and "googlies" out of context.

Aw come'on Tim don't be so pessimistic.
They have just got started ( apparently the mascot had to make it there on foot, so took awhile :))

Good luck to the Germans BSD ( I got money riding on them after all !! )

Yeah, good luck, up to a point. We want to beat the sods in the final :)

Reactions: BSD
Yeah HT - that really bugs me too!
To our friends from the US - here's a quiz for you . . .
Q1. What does FIFA stand for?
Q2. Does the word Soccer start with the letter F?
Q3. Does the letter F appear in the title of the world governing body?
Q4. Who created the game of football and what did they call it, was it A. Football or B. Soccer?
Q5. True or false: The US game of 'Football' is played with an oval ball which the players are allowed to handle?
Etc. etc.
;)
P.S. If you wanted to call the game Feetball as opposed to Football, then you'd have a strong case!
Tim.

After this year's competition I reckon it should be renamed handball.

After this year's competition I reckon it should be renamed handball.

Give the yanks a break, it's not their fault they haven't got a national sport that they actually invented. They're only a young country after all.

Great name by the way, one of my favourite books TMIAB by JKJ ... although strange how you named yourself after the dog :confused:

Give the yanks a break, it's not their fault they haven't got a national sport that they actually invented. They're only a young country after all.

Great name by the way, one of my favourite books TMIAB by JKJ ... although strange how you named yourself after the dog :confused:

:) He is probably the most sensible character in the book, but he doesn't get many good lines. The sequel, "Three Men on the Bummel" (about a cycling trip in Germany), is even better in my opinion, although poor old Montmorency doesn't make an appearance. Guess he couldn't have balanced on the crossbar.

I live near the Thames as it happens, and so can relate to the first book a lot; the town where I live gets a mention, but in most unflattering terms :)

hehe, ok I can take a little USA "soccer" bashing. It's been nice seeing people here rally around our national team. Sadly though it's really just a reason to party. 2 hours after the US is finally eliminated everyone here will forget what soccer is. Too bad. Most of the world cup matches have really been great to watch. The good thing is we don't have any riots at our club matches...not enough people to riot :whistling

BTW: FIFA = errr...let me look it up and get back to you ;)

Peter