Worldcup !

I'm also an oldish codger, and watched the 1966 match (only on telly unfortunately) along with everyone else at that time. It was better than sex (not that I'd experienced much sex at that period in my life :) ). 1970 unfortunately was a disaster, and I didn't take much notice of football after that (plus I was getting a bit better at chasing girls by then :) ).
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

See you all in a couple of days, have fun !!!

just make sure it's close the the Alter See !!!
Freezing in winter, but stunning location year round !!

Lol I was a bit drunk last night I think of course I know what you mean the
Alster hehe, yeah, that's where we want to go, we wanna be central, that's one of our criteria. Along with a balcony for the cat !!!

Not sure if the boys aren't gonna get too cocky now tho, think getting a bit of a bad start is better for motivation !!!

Anyway some pics:

image-98382-galleryV9-uxnm.jpg

image-98383-galleryV9-vrfc.jpg

image-98385-galleryV9-chjf.jpg

image-98386-galleryV9-kkjx.jpg

image-98389-galleryV9-pqif.jpg

image-98391-galleryV9-yhch.jpg

image-98388-galleryV9-grbd.jpg

image-98394-galleryV9-ieus.jpg

image-98400-galleryV9-hkgi.jpg

image-98415-galleryV9-urdw.jpg

image-98421-galleryV9-dtdl.jpg

image-98424-galleryV9-vydf.jpg

image-98427-galleryV9-jlyg.jpg

image-98428-galleryV9-rlqk.jpg

image-98429-galleryV9-patc.jpg

image-98431-galleryV9-wapn.jpg

image-98432-galleryV9-utwt.jpg

www.spiegel.de

HUGE party last night in town, streets totally crowded !!!

Anyway, off to Hamburg now, see you in some days.

Johannesburg and South Africa in general are buzzing with energy and excitement! This is our third world cup and by far the largest event we've hosted! We've had the Rugby and cricket world cups. Have to give it to the country as a whole for pulling it off... even I was pesimestic as to it all coming together in time! But I can say I have never been so happy to be "Proudly South African"... The country has pulled it off!
To the comments about "all the empty seats"... the tickets are pretty much all sold out! Only a few single seats available here and there. The reason why there were empty seats is that people were stuck in the traffic and underestimated the scale of the whole event and transit times needed. Even though people missed the event and held tickets the atmosphere and party in the traffic jam was electric.
I'm off to the New Zealand vs Slovakia game tomorrow and sure it will be an event to remember!
Will post some pics of the events from "on the ground" point of view.
Im not the biggest of football fans... but the world cup's are always worth watching! Nice for it to be on our door step!

Johannesburg and South Africa in general are buzzing with energy and excitement! This is our third world cup and by far the largest event we've hosted! We've had the Rugby and cricket world cups. Have to give it to the country as a whole for pulling it off... even I was pesimestic as to it all coming together in time! But I can say I have never been so happy to be "Proudly South African"... The country has pulled it off!
To the comments about "all the empty seats"... the tickets are pretty much all sold out! Only a few single seats available here and there. The reason why there were empty seats is that people were stuck in the traffic and underestimated the scale of the whole event and transit times needed. Even though people missed the event and held tickets the atmosphere and party in the traffic jam was electric.
I'm off to the New Zealand vs Slovakia game tomorrow and sure it will be an event to remember!
Im not the biggest of football fans... but the world cup's are always worth watching! Nice for it to be on our door step!

And after the world cup what happens next? How's it gonna change things...? Things that matter...

Spot the errors contest...

Spot the errors!!! :eek:

Attachments

• USA-WINS.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
Lol I was a bit drunk last night I think of course I know what you mean the
Alster hehe, yeah, that's where we want to go, we wanna be central, that's one of our criteria. Along with a balcony for the cat !!!

Anyway, off to Hamburg now, see you in some days.

Does Udo Lindenberg still live in a hotel in Hamburg?

Not surprised about the traffic jams. When we were in Cape Town, they were working on the new central bus-lane thingy. The work itself was causing major holdups, and it was predicted not to finish in time for the World Cup (I hope it did though). Generally though, the place was a public-transport desert. If you didn't have a car, you didn't go anywhere, to a first approximation.

Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying it. The Cape Town stadium looked impressive, and it was possible to get some great views of it from Table Mountain and Signal Point, etc.

In spite of my reservations, I'd encourage anyone to go there if you get the chance.

Spain 7/2
Brazil 9/2
Argentina 5/1
England 7/1
Holland 8/1
Germany 9/1
Italy 18/1
France 25/1
Portugal 25/1
Ivory Coast 50/1
Chile 50/1
Ghana 66/1
Mexico 66/1
USA 66/1
Paraguay 66/1
Cameroon 80/1
Uruguay 80/1
Korea Republic (South) 80/1
Denmark 100/1
South Africa 150/1
Serbia 150/1
Nigeria 175/1
Switzerland 200/1
Japan 250/1
Slovakia 250/1
Slovenia 250/1
Greece 500/1
Australia 500/1
Honduras 500/1
Korea DPR (North) 1000/1
New Zealand 2000/1
Algeria 3500/1

On the theory the bookies know best I won't be betting on Algeria this year :)

I see England have gone out to 7/1 from an initial 4/1 so NO to them too

The Jerries for a place is looking good tho

And after the world cup what happens next? How's it gonna change things...? Things that matter...

That's exactly what we were discussing yesterday... we're all hoping thay can maintain what they have just done and keep up the levels of service. There has been a major cash injection in order for SA to meet it's deadlines. Construction industry has been buzzing but I do agree as to what is next... Can hope for more foreign investment into the different industries after this success?!?
Traffic has been a nightmare in the build up to the WC, but talking from a Johannesburg point of view- it has been greatly improved from the years gone by! All the roadworks was completed on time, and the new bullet train is now running from the airport to the major center in Sandton. New bus links in place... big difference from a country that has been lacking a proper public transport system! Good form South Africa!

When it comes to the markets... I don't touch any African countries. The markets are too small and in my opinion lack the liquidity. It is also very difficult to move money out of SA and the tax is far from favourable! I'm involved with commodities on the US markets.

and whilst the razmattaz goes on the stewards go on strike because they havn't been paid, (FIFA say they're not to blame) so the newest police recruits then take over the job of stewarding yesterday's games. Bus drivers begin to follow suit...don't mention it in the mainstream media though, might upset those who suffer from mass hysteria...

IMHO before this tourny is over the S.African's will get bored, restless and begin to ask questions re. the non existence of a trickle down effect. In their naivety a lot of *ordinary* folk probably believed they'd make a bit of smart quick cash...FIFA come to town like a circus of pikeys; take your money, empty your pockets and move onto the next town leaving you to clear up the mess...

IMHO before this tourny is over the S.African's will get bored, restless and begin to ask questions re. the non existence of a trickle down effect. In their naivety a lot of *ordinary* folk probably believed they'd make a bit of smart quick cash...FIFA come to town like a circus of pikeys; take your money, empty your pockets and move onto the next town leaving you to clear up the mess...

We were talking to someone who has his own business over there. His firm was involved in part of the fitting out of the stadium in Cape Town. He said that while some businesses have benefited - his to some extent, and tourism, etc., a lot of other businesses have put investment on hold until the whole shindig is over, so in a way, it has been counter-productive.

I wonder if the same is true to some extent of the Olympics in London.

That's exactly what we were discussing yesterday... we're all hoping thay can maintain what they have just done and keep up the levels of service. There has been a major cash injection in order for SA to meet it's deadlines. Construction industry has been buzzing but I do agree as to what is next... Can hope for more foreign investment into the different industries after this success?!?
Traffic has been a nightmare in the build up to the WC, but talking from a Johannesburg point of view- it has been greatly improved from the years gone by! All the roadworks was completed on time, and the new bullet train is now running from the airport to the major center in Sandton. New bus links in place... big difference from a country that has been lacking a proper public transport system! Good form South Africa!

When it comes to the markets... I don't touch any African countries. The markets are too small and in my opinion lack the liquidity. It is also very difficult to move money out of SA and the tax is far from favourable! I'm involved with commodities on the US markets.

:D Yes, three cheers for SA but put our money there?

Ahum!

The Chinese may. Then, in twenty years, we'll be moaning about it!

We were talking to someone who has his own business over there. His firm was involved in part of the fitting out of the stadium in Cape Town. He said that while some businesses have benefited - his to some extent, and tourism, etc., a lot of other businesses have put investment on hold until the whole shindig is over, so in a way, it has been counter-productive.

I wonder if the same is true to some extent of the Olympics in London.

I've no chance of picking the winner but I'd put good money on the fact that post tourny there'll be a lot of unrest. Despite the street wise nature of a lot of folk there there is a wide eyed innocence in relation to the supposed benefits hosting the WC will bring. The strikes yesterday are probably the beginnings of ill will, no one likes to have the pi55 taken out of them, to do it on such a grand scale will fuel anger IMHO...

After this is over I'd be very surprised if SA firms (en masse) can raise much funds given the second round of much worse credit squeeze on its way..this time it may even affect mining companies who have otherwise been immune...

As far as the UK is concerned no comparison, PFI initatives will employ a few/ensure major corporations gain...we're hosting it at a terrible time though I expect any legacy left won't benefit locals through new housing or (meaningful) improved infrastructure..

I inherited some gold shares from my parents which they bought before WW11. They are worth much less now than then !! The last dividend was a ridiculous handful of pennies. Some crooks are helping themselves to the money for sure