When the plan works brilliantly but you are shi** at implementing it.

Tradings a bit like a roundabout in the playground. When you're a kid, you watch it spinning round & round, you get a feel for the pace & rythm. Eventually, you trust what you are seeing, are at one with the pace & rythm & feel able to jump on or off.

When you see your plan working trade aftertrade after trade - eventually it should hit home.

But you're right - getting to the stage of maximising the plans performance all in one go is a tough ask, though not imposssible. So yes, incremental improvement & achievements in terms of plan implementation is therefore not a bad idea. Walking, one step at a time b4 u run with it. This removes the pressures & lets you gradually see the positves, while improving in small steps. Think i will go more along these lines - rather than expecting to be able to capture the lot straight away.

Last edited:
Also - maybe concentrate on fixing one issue at a time. Break the problem up and sort it out bit by bit.

Personally I would say sort out the hold and exit first. Make sure you don't exit too early, can live with reversals if the exit wasn't achieved and that you do exit when the plan says.

Then move on to the entries and make sure you can pull the trigger when the plan says so without questioning it.

Tradings a bit like a roundabout in the playground. When you're a kid, you watch it spinning round & round, you get a feel for the pace & rythm. Eventually, you trust what you are seeing, are at one with the pace & rythm & feel able to jump on or off.

When you see your plan working trade aftertrade after trade - eventually it should hit home.

But you're right - getting to the stage of maximising the plans performance all in one go is a tough ask, though not imposssible. So yes, incremental improvement & achievements in terms of plan implementation is therefore not a bad idea. Walking, one step at a time b4 u run with it. This removes the pressures & lets you gradually see the positves, while improving in small steps. Think i will go more along these lines - rather than expecting to be able to capture the lot straight away.

Good post,

Traders must not give up on trading specially those of you who have been around for few years. The turn around will come sooner or later.
If traders just concentrate on risk analysis than reward analysis or even risk /reward analysis then 1/2 the battle is won ,,

grey1

A better analogy for trading, is surfing -

At first you struggle. Maybe you fail to comprehend how you will ever be able to master & combine the techniques and processes of -
identifying suitable waves, balancing on the surfboard in a lying down position, catching the wave & staying with the wave by paddling with it, standing up on the board and then finally riding the wave to the shore (basically, the whole process of successful trading).

But starting at the beginning, & breaking it down into smaller steps, you can then develop a feel for the whole process.

Maybe you start with body surfing (observing price action) - just getting a feel for the how the waves (price movements) work, their pace & rythm, their ebb & flow.
You then begin to understand what makes an individual wave (segment of price action, chart pattern/setup) suitable for you to try & catch it (trade)- by judging its momentum & where it will begin to break.

Soon, you reach the stage where you can quickly process all this wave information and have a good idea about how any individual wave will unfold. You then have an internal instinct for knowing which waves (types of price action, chart patterns/setups) are worth trying to catch & ride (trade), and which you are best off leaving alone.

Occasionally your judgment will still prove incorrect - as you attempt to catch some waves that are just out of your comfortable reach - as they will either break too early or too late (stop losses being hit). Other times you will pass up on the opportunity to catch a wave, only to reflect in hindsight that it was in fact a good, attainable wave (profitable trade opportunity missed).

You may then learn the techniques needed to paddle with the wave & stand up on the surf board, safely on the shore line (demo/simulation trading).

The next stage of developing as a surfer is in the water with a surf board (live trading).

You need to be able to master the combined arts of successfully identifying suitable waves (trade opportunity identification), lying on your surfboard ready to paddle, & catching the wave by first paddling with the wave (being ready to try and enter the trade), and then standing up on the surfboard (trade entry) and riding a wave to the shore (hopefully following the profit take exit plan). This takes a lot of practise for some, & comes more easily for others.

You need to be able to -

1 - quickly read the wave (price action) and make a decision about whether it is a suitable wave for you to start to paddle with, and try & catch, & then hopefully ride to the shore line (identifying whether the price action/setup is suitable for you to stand a good chance of taking the trade to a successful conclusion).
2 - if you do try to catch the wave (decide to look for a trade entry), you need to be able to lay on your board & then paddle with the rythm of the wave (keeping up with price action) until -
3 - the optimum moment when you attempt to stand up (trade entry - on the open of next candle?).
4 - if you do stand up successfully (enter the trade), you will then hope to be able to ride the wave (price movement/momentum) until it dies down, at its natural exit point - near the shore (support or resistance level? = exit target?) without falling off the wave (the traded price action segment) prematurely as a result of -
a lapse of concentration, panic, poor technique, poor reading/interpretation of the wave and any obstacles ahead....

Last edited:
Just F..ckin do it

Good post,

Traders must not give up on trading specially those of you who have been around for few years. The turn around will come sooner or later.
If traders just concentrate on risk analysis than reward analysis or even risk /reward analysis then 1/2 the battle is won ,,

grey1

A better analogy for trading, is surfing -

At first you struggle. Maybe even fail to understand how you will be able to master the whole technique of being able to catch a wave, stand up and ride it to the shore (trade successfully).
But breaking it down into smaller steps, starting at the beginning, you can then develop a feel for the whole process.

Maybe you start with body surfing (observing price action) - just getting a feel for the how the waves (price movments) work, their pace & rythm, and their ebb & flow. You then begin to understand what makes an individual wave (segment of price action, chart pattern etc) suitable for you to try & catch it (trade it)- by judging its momentum & where it will begin to break.

Soon, you reach the stage where you can quickly process all this information and have a good idea about how that individual wave will unfold. You then have an internal instinct for knowing which waves (types of price action, chart patterns/setups) are worth trying to catch (trade), and which you are best off leaving alone.

Occasionally your judgment will still prove incorrect - as you attempt to catch some waves that are out of your reach as they will either break too early or too late (stop losses being hit). Other times you will pass up on the opportunity to catch a wave, only to reflect in hindsight that it was in fact attainable (profitable trade opportunity missed).

You may then learn the techniques needed to pasddle with the wave & stand up on the surf board, safely on the shore (demo/simulation trading).

The next stage of developing as a surfer is in the water with a surf board. You need to be able to master the art of successfully identifying suitable waves (trade opportunity identification), catching the wave by paddling with the wave and then standing up on the surfboard (trade entry) and riding a wave to the shore (following the profit take exit plan). This takes a lot of practise for some & comes more easily for a others. You need to be able to -

1 - quickly read the wave (price action) and make a decision about whether you will start to paddle to try & catch it (enter the trade).
2 - if you do try to catch the wave (enter the trade), you need to be able to paddle with the rythm of the wave (price action) until -
3 - the optimum moment when you attempt to stand up (entry - on open of next candle?).
4 - if you stand up successfully (enter the trade), you then hope to be able to ride the wave (momentum) until it dies down at its natural exit point near the shore (support or resistance level?)(exit target) without falling off the wave (trade) prematurely as a result of - a lapse of concentration, panic, poor technique, poor reading/interpretation of the wave and any obstacles ahead....

really good thread ~

nice few posts J

mine goes in here I think :)

Previous Post ~

From NQ in Cornwall ~ Fistral Beach you get a great view of natures market at work watching the surfers catching waves, depends on their skill and experience which waves they can catch and for how long.

Primary Waves and their smaller brothers and sister’s

You see it all ~ Scalpers going for short quick rides right up to the large position players who will sit for hours waiting for the right Wave Set, they climb up and stop out many times, (short paddle back to take off) then they are up and you just no this time they’ll make every move at the correct time , skipping effortlessly from set to set avoiding all the dead waves and dumps and finding the true Wave that will carry them all the way to shore. It’s a hell of a long paddle back to take off and a long wait for another good Wave, they don’t mind they know it’s worth it.

Cribber to the beach only top quality wave riders make this one
(very large wave that starts up when the swell is 5ft +)

You see surfers making careful board selection ~ Long board or Short true honest

You see all the surfer’s all gathered up out there watching the Sun going down , comparing notes etc best board/Wax/ area to sit and wait. Looks like a great forum out there.

Andy @ NQ

Direct PM answer to ~ am I a Surfer ? Posted it to ~

The eye opener is watching the experienced Surfer (trader)
ride the waves, watching him stop out then try again all choosing different spots for take off , no right or wrong just a good take off spot for their skill level

No man I am not, but do live where stated, moved there 7 yr ago. I appreciate all skills done well in any field.

The Surfers attitude to life if he is a true
(not a wk end dude with is brand new VW) is probably the best traders attitude to adopt ~ IMO

They care about surfing, life interacting with others, They are not competitive by nature and they don’t seem to bother about tomorrow much just the here and now. They ride the waves to become one with nature and don’t care to much about money as long as they have enough that’s cool

There lack of attachment to money gives them an edge in what they take part in LIFE.

I removed the money from the trading game 6 months ago when I realised I was just constantly breaking even. Thought about what I new, thought what’s logical, which waves do I want to ride, wrote it down and traded it on a demo account, Great results for my level of ability.

Went Live a few months ago / still got me part time job (everybody part time in NQ) going ok not setting world on fire yet, but do you now what, I don’t care anymore, I am in full control of my method and me, and if it don’t work out and I cant become a full master of this trade, I am having FUN learning and taking part. The downsides covered

So ye I am a surfer, we all are if we choose to be,

I am a Surfer on the snooker table, a Surfer at work and most of all I am a Surfer when I trade.

If you feel the heat, feel uncomfortable in any way, what ever you’re doing, you’re doing it wrong "my Dad said that"

Step back and say what can the surfer do for me and the search goes on "I said that"

Will Post again, just taking a break and concentrating on Surfing and having FUN

Andy

all the best with it J :clover:

and all the best to me to again :)

F..ck it .....just do it :)

Andy

Last edited:
....and there in a nutshell we have it!!!

top follow on post bladerunner! some rep on the way - just outrepped in the last 24 hrs at the moment!

Longboard - swing traders
short board - scalpers

Like it ;).

Can't rep you at the moment Andy and J but those are some great posts !

I think true and lasting success coupled with satisfaction in a balanced life is only achievable for those who understand that life's first and foremost challenge is working out what you really want in the first place.

That is followed by getting the tools / talents / practise needed for the task.

Once all that is there, success is then achieved by letting go in the moment of doing it, letting go of fears of not making it, letting go of euphoric daydreams of having made it, in the moment of doing you live in nothing but the moment, doing what your objectives told you to do in the way that your acquired skill sets tell you how to do it.

Success is achievable by seeing the world as a zero-sum-game where everybody tries to capture the biggest part of a static pie, where the only option is fighting uphill battles and eternally rolling boulders up hills and being engaged in constant battle with what is.

But far greater success, and with far greater ease and, above all, serenity and happiness, is achievable by seeing the world as a positive-sum game where value can be aded by expanding the pie, where you go with the flow and follow the path of least resistance towards your ultimate objectives, where you are happy and content with doing the best you can IN THE MOMENT...

Sort of like being a top athlete I suppose, once you are a formula 1 driver or top tournament golfer you can be pretty certain that basically you are matched against equals.

But the consistent winners are the ones who do not succumb to the pressure of having to win this competition to reach their objectives, the Hamiltons, Schumachers or Tiger Woods are the ones who know that they want to win their world championships, but, in the moment of doing their job, they LET GO, ie are distracted neither by thoughts of losing, NOR of winning, they just live in the moment, doing the best they can in the moment, and this exact ability to let go is exactly what makes them calm, cool, collected, detached, self-confident and assured of ultimate outcomes enough to make it to the very top.

Define your dream, believe in it, dream of it, but while doing what needs to be done LET GO by seeing the individual outcome of an individual trade or competition as rather inconsequential in the big scheme of endless opportunities that await you in your career, and where what is yours will come to you!

Great post BSD.

Letting go and immersing yourself in living the moment. That sure does sound like a good approach for any person involved in a competitive marketplace - whether you are competing against other people, just yourself, or just an object.

As eminem said -
He better go capture this moment and hope it don't pass him

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo

Last edited:
haha lovely wasp :D

"Don't dream it, be it."

Dream your life, and live your dream.

OOOH, the RHPS, that video brings back some very fond memories of some very wild parties haha, great stuff !

Made my day !

PS, new old name makes life easier too

:)

haha lovely wasp :D

"Don't dream it, be it."

Dream your life, and live your dream.

OOOH, the RHPS, that video brings back some very fond memories of some very wild parties haha, great stuff !

Made my day !

PS, new old name makes life easier too

:)

Yep, some very fond memories thanks to RHPS!

Sweepy was fun but life is alot easier as a wasp!

Sounds to me as if you're not actually sure the system will work, even though you say as much. If you were so sure, I mean rock-solid sure, you wouldn't hesitate.

Of course nobody can guarantee the system will carry on working - and maybe that's were the doubt creeps in. Are you really prepared to blow your capital to find out?

Someone's tagline goes something like "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" - seems quite relevant.

Just playing devil's advocate. :)

Are you really prepared to blow your capital to find out?

Those that are are those being truly honest with themselves to give the justified confidence.

No point in pretending or lying to oneself to make them feel all the work hasn't been in vain if, at the end of the day, you can't pull the trigger, or, going to lose it all anyhow.

If you are not 1000% sure, no point in even trying. imho anyhow.

Obviously not properly, as, if it had been, you wouldn't be having doubts or problems implementing it.

Oh, yes he could easily have doubts and problems. Consider why hardly anyone makes money trading. After all, the markets move a lot every day. There is a reason why people can't do it and it has very little to do with demo trading and training yourself.

Oh, yes he could easily have doubts and problems. Consider why hardly anyone makes money trading. After all, the markets move a lot every day. There is a reason why people can't do it and it has very little to do with demo trading and training yourself.

Psychology is just a state of mind! ;)

If he has a proven plan and proven it (honestly) then there is no reason for failure.

Proof, 1000% Sure ?.......not sure about that one

Those that are are those being truly honest with themselves to give the justified confidence.

No point in pretending or lying to oneself to make them feel all the work hasn't been in vain if, at the end of the day, you can't pull the trigger, or, going to lose it all anyhow.

If you are not 1000% sure, no point in even trying. imho anyhow.

Psychology is just a state of mind! ;)

If he has a proven plan and proven it (honestly) then there is no reason for failure.

Good few posts Wasp and some food for thought

agree and disagree :confused:

There is no absolute Proof only after the event

I traded my method that I thought was good without any thought to failure for three months solid, doubts crept in and I carried on for another three months thinking that perhaps emotions etc were telling lies and I was just a bit risk adverse or whatever. Made the mistake of not stepping back and .............. well made many mistakes and every day

Point is I kept my overhaul Risk small (large enough to matter)and learnt things that could not be learnt by thinking and sitting on the bench till I was 1000 % sure

You can only be prepared then go with what you have and find out if its good enough when its all over

If you keep repeating the process and keep learning a little more .....well you never can tell how it will turn out IMO anyway.

Build your knowledge base = plan updated according to YOUR observations then re-demo it again ....round and round

OODA loops over and over and build your own Consistency

Always assume there is plenty still to learn and keep overhaul Risk small at all times

Take and consider the advise given free and generously by so many

Put time in to continue learning and I am sure the odds improve a little

Andy

The_Battle_of_Britain_copy.jpg

Last edited:
btw, it helps if 'the plan' is built around, and upon, a well studied and researched analysis of price action and the skill and art form of trading is pure to the cause of movement, not just a statistical and mathematical bit of (probably) short term luck and coincidence.

Good few posts Wasp and some food for thought

agree and disagree :confused:

There is no absolute Proof only after the event

I traded my method that I thought was good without any thought to failure for three months solid, doubts crept in and I carried on for another three months thinking that perhaps emotions etc were telling lies and I was just a bit risk adverse or whatever. Made the mistake of not stepping back and .............. well made many mistakes and every day

Point is I kept my overhaul Risk small (large enough to matter)and learnt things that could not be learnt by thinking and sitting on the bench till I was 1000 % sure

You can only be prepared then go with what you have and find out if its good enough when its all over

If you keep repeating the process and keep learning a little more
.....well you never can tell how it will turn out IMO anyway.

Build your knowledge base = plan updated according to YOUR observations then re-demo it again ....round and round

OODA loops over and over and build your own Consistency

Always assume there is
plenty still to learn and keep overhaul Risk small at all times

Take and consider the advise given free and generously by so many

Put time in to continue learning and I am sure the odds improve a little

Andy

Thats it.

wasp -
btw, it helps if 'the plan' is built around, and upon, a well studied and researched analysis of price action and the skill and art form of trading is pure to the cause of movement, not just a statistical and mathematical bit of (probably) short term luck and coincidence.

Definately. The mechanics of a market - supply and demand, support and resistance - and the transition from one to the other, HAVE to remain the same. This is how a market works & this is what causes prices to rise & fall.

The winners are, largely, those who survive the process - so if you have a good system it can only get better through further refinement. There's no rush (unless an aspiring trader gives up his/her job). It takes a very long time for most people to accumulate all the skills and experience necessary, especially on the shorter timeframes.

Despite the solidity of the plan, one thing that still worries me also slightly is this -

If it is a marginal thing that i might have a valid signal right up to the close of a candle, and at the last moment, the signal does not arrive, i feel relieved, as i do not have to do anything.
If you were ever bullied at school for any length of time, its a bit like the relief felt when you have a wet playtime due to rain, as you know you won't have to go outside into the playground.