Are YOU a STIR trader?

arabianights

Legendary member
How many STIR traders have we got here then?

I'll say hello first: I've been trading STIRs (prop) for about ten months now, all three LIFFE contracts. Swiss is my usual bread and butter but on a day like today there was much more money in Euribor so that's what I primarily traded... Not touching sterling that much away from news at the moment due to the absent liquidity.

Usually outrights only but I'll take some spreads sometimes when it makes good sense. Almost allways small overnights if at all... Learnt my lesson a couple of months ago that having 125 lots overnight with a five figure account balance isn't terribly wise.

Don't be shy now ;)... Say hello.

Hello. I'm trying to learn about stirs. Have had no success yet.

u trade calendar spreads in euribor? dec/march?

i have never figured out how people made money doing that when u can easily get 800 roundtrips in a day.

A good way to use bor calendar spreads is, if you have a directional view, to use front month versus second month, for example. Cuts out a bit of noise.

But in general spreads aren't as attrcative as outrights. Too dull.

Although, google image search for spreads is attractive. Odd that.

I've been trading STIRS for 4 years. Mainly Euribor spreads but the occasional Sterling for good measure.

how can humans compete with autospreader? (legging in and out of positions?) funny hearing in the office getting caught legging and fists banging on tables! ok i shouldnt laugh.

outrights all the way!

outrights all the way!
dont ask your head trader though :)

I've been trading STIRs electronically since 1999, first mainly in the Euribor (also traded Sterling and Swiss at the time) but eventually migrated into solely trading Sterling. Traded that right up until LIFFE introduced half ticks, it only took me two days trading to see how wrong LIFFE have called that one... And so found myself back in the Euribor...

I took a look at the Sterling today and I'm quite pleased to see how much LIFFE have shot themselves in the foot with introducing half ticks, even the front month was only 200 lots either side with nothing really above or below it. It's completely untradeable now... Well for me anyway... I really miss trading it, may it rest in peace...

yeah I tend to get slaughtered whenever I trade sterling if it's not a figure, I'm just too paranoid of the potential for crazy moves (check out range on dec today - 1600 lots moves it 17 ticks ffs!) and get out too early.

Swiss is a lovely market though - come and join us ;)

I've not looked at the Swiss once in about seven years! I've made a new Swiss screen... I'll take a look, thanks!

yeah I tend to get slaughtered whenever I trade sterling if it's not a figure, I'm just too paranoid of the potential for crazy moves (check out range on dec today - 1600 lots moves it 17 ticks ffs!) and get out too early.

What's so lovely about the swiss? I thought it was quite a quiet market.

do you trade spreads over figures, or just outrights?!

Also I hope you ride the wave on the dec, and made lots of cash

Cheerios

D

I've been trading the bor for just over 5 years now and don't look at sterling anymore as liffe have knackered it by going half tick. The bor is crazey at the mo and we have to thank the ECB for that!!!!!!!
long live the bor!!!

I've been trading the bor for just over 5 years now and don't look at sterling anymore as liffe have knackered it by going half tick. The bor is crazey at the mo and we have to thank the ECB for that!!!!!!!
long live the bor!!!

I have been trading Euribor, spreads, boxes, flys, outrights for a while... but the margins were a killer.
I now moved to currencies, also trading figures is an easier thing, not too much variables when it comes to it.

Bonds vs. Currency pairs? We can talk all day about it!

I find currency movements easier to explain and I also have read Trading STIR Futures: An Introduction to Short-term Interest Rate Futures by Stephen Aikin
Maybe the market is dangerous at the moment, or I cannot understand STIR’s anymore

I have been trading Euribor, spreads, boxes, flys, outrights for a while... but the margins were a killer.
I now moved to currencies, also trading figures is an easier thing, not too much variables when it comes to it.

Bonds vs. Currency pairs? We can talk all day about it!

I find currency movements easier to explain and I also have read Trading STIR Futures: An Introduction to Short-term Interest Rate Futures by Stephen Aikin
Maybe the market is dangerous at the moment, or I cannot understand STIR’s anymore
It is tougher at the moment, some of the boxes are so out of line now that to trade them is dangerous, mainly because of volatility and all the year end funding problems that drove the front sep box to extremes. Still grinding away in the same fashion as you used to.....Currency seems interesting with all that has gone on with the dollar strengthening etc but do you have to "run your pips" to get decent profit???

As it happens, having traded currencies, I am dipping my toe into the Eurodollar STIR...

Eurodollar STIR that sounds interesting?!
do you have your figure log ready? are you going to apply paper trading techniques? or trade ranges?

What ever you do I wish you the best of luck
:)