Are YOU a STIR trader?

It is tougher at the moment, some of the boxes are so out of line now that to trade them is dangerous, mainly because of volatility and all the year end funding problems that drove the front sep box to extremes. Still grinding away in the same fashion as you used to.....Currency seems interesting with all that has gone on with the dollar strengthening etc but do you have to "run your pips" to get decent profit???

I am usually into figures, and when I have the time maybe next year I will start creating my quantitative system.

Unfortunately the current market situation in London doesn’t allow me to have a lot of personal time :(

Running your pips to get a decent profit?!
Hmmm it depends in what kind of strategy you are using, if it is a long term one, then I would have to say yes... but from another point of view bye bye Bear Stearns

If you are a day trader you can trade figures, trend channels, RSI and the put a S/L and T/P according to your strategy.

but if it is a personal question! Then yes I occasionally use S/L and T/P ;)

Wow!

I'm amazed that almost everyone who traded the Short Sterling pre half-tick has abandoned it so abruptly.I think the same thing happened with the Bobl,a lot of old-timers quit when Eurex cut that in half too.I've got to admit that the liquidity in Short Sterling is a major problem though,sometimes it's literally bid and offered in less than 50 lots!What a joke eh?

If no-one admits to trading it though,where does the volume come from?On some days it's actually not too bad...........

I've been trading STIRS for 5 years, and most of that time has been in the Sterling. I'm still trading it but far out, it's a nightmare! This morning was a whole new level of complete dissorderly trading with next to zero volume. I'm trading a 10th of my normail size and am ****ting myself with that. I'm going to give it another week or two and if it doesn't get better I'll be in EURIBOR.

Short Sterling is a total joke today!

Sometimes even months near the front of the curve have had an astonishing 2 ticks between the bid and offer and even then only bid/offered in about 25 lots - and the spreads - forget about it!

In March09 between 94.905 and 95.005 it only managed to trade 1600 lots - for 10 whole ticks - is there any point in this contract existing?If I wanted that sort of liquidity and volatility there are much more viable contracts to trade.

Short Sterling is a total joke today!

Sometimes even months near the front of the curve have had an astonishing 2 ticks between the bid and offer and even then only bid/offered in about 25 lots - and the spreads - forget about it!

In March09 between 94.905 and 95.005 it only managed to trade 1600 lots - for 10 whole ticks - is there any point in this contract existing?If I wanted that sort of liquidity and volatility there are much more viable contracts to trade.

the euribor was very thin aswell today, but in the current climate, thats the way its gonna be for a while.

Sterling was a great laugh last few days. Buy, I dunno, ten lots of front month (that's quite enough when the slippage on that could be three ticks!) when the fed annoucned something, then sell twenty a couple of minutes later. Buy em back when it gets to normal.

Crazy, crazy, crazy market!

Sterling was a great laugh last few days. Buy, I dunno, ten lots of front month (that's quite enough when the slippage on that could be three ticks!) when the fed annoucned something, then sell twenty a couple of minutes later. Buy em back when it gets to normal.

Crazy, crazy, crazy market!

Doesn't sound a sustainable trading strategy to me - bit hit and miss...........

Sustainable and Sterling are not two words you hear very often in the same sentence.

By the time people figure out how to live with the half-tick and the lack of liquidity they'll probably go quarter-tick or change it back to full-ticks.The whole dynamics of the contract are changed too regularly.The contract in general is hit and miss - on Friday June09 only managed a pathetic 38K lots while Sep09 did double that.

I've been trading STIRS for 5 years, and most of that time has been in the Sterling. I'm still trading it but far out, it's a nightmare! This morning was a whole new level of complete dissorderly trading with next to zero volume. I'm trading a 10th of my normail size and am ****ting myself with that. I'm going to give it another week or two and if it doesn't get better I'll be in EURIBOR.

Hi Beaker35

I was wondering the verdict?It's been a while since the post,has Sterling got any better since or did you make the move to Euribor?I noticed it's been pretty thin in there too lately.

Sterling is even worse now. Honestly, there's more liquidity (for the market) in Euroswiss now most of the time.

Euribor pretty awful as well.