what would you do if you had more money than you ever wanted from trading?

:LOL:I didn't say anything, except for what i wanted.....you tried to correct my thoughts....why did you do this?

Nah ...I just predicted that when you make your millions, and after you sort out friends and family, and enjoy yourself for a while, there will probably be a gaping existential chasm in your life which you will need to fill with drugs....not necessarily an entirely bad thing...plenty of rock stars been there before

Nah ...I just predicted that when you make your millions, and after you sort out friends and family, and enjoy yourself for a while, there will probably be a gaping existential chasm in your life which you will need to fill with drugs....not necessarily an entirely bad thing...plenty of rock stars been there before

Thanks for the consideration, you're a good person, but i'm not likely to listen to you. The reason for this is because when i'm worth millions, it's not likely that i will give a f*ck about many peoples views. But hey, that's life.

Thanks for the consideration, you're a good person, but i'm not likely to listen to you. The reason for this is because when i'm worth millions, it's not likely that i will give a f*ck about many peoples views. But hey, that's life.

Well thats one of the main benefits of being worth millions...you might still want to trade though...for reasons already mentioned...hope you get there anyways

:cool:

Sounds like it might be a painful experience..have you ?

I have read his book and the guy has great vision. However, I only dropped his name as somebody who has billions.

As the headline of this thread identifies he no doubt has more money than he probably ever envisaged or perhaps wanted but he is a superb human - married with a family and gives billions away. Now that's what I call a well rounded individual.

He is still working and contributing to the Global IT industry making a change to billions of people.

He is not like your average superstar or football celebrity playing the field..

There are many people out there. My views is that a poor person who becomes very rich very quickly doesn't know how to handle himself or money. So he acts like the exagerrated characters he has seen in movies and on TV. Basically being a dick.

Where as a true wealthy individual who is of wealthy background is far more measured and less vulgar in their display of that wealth.

As an example I can quote our late friend Rothschild - who claims to be very rich and a super trader - and yet is very lonely and has little or no friends other than those who kiss his ass and say yes you're the greatest legend whose little feet have touched this earth.

Despite the guys money and riches - he comes to an online forum seeking appreciation and applause and then gets offended when he gets ridiculed. Writes up an emotional email and legs it in rejection. Very sad lonely individual who has been deprived of love at a young tendger age and socially inadequate imho. I've lost count how many times he has mentioned his money making abilities. Good for him. (y)

Similar to KS he couldn't give a hoot as to what others think of him or say but in reality he does. He is craving for it but going the wrong way about getting it.

I concur with Prawnsandwich's view that some people are just shallow - hollow - void of human social connection and money makes them give no consideration to others and so they further dissapear into that void until there is no way out.

Detached from true human compassion and warmth they disintegrate.

Coming back to our Mr Gates, he is happy in his bubble. Now there is a good upstanding man - richest man in the world. Doesn't feel the need to attract attention to him self - only his products.

One last comment back in 2000 sometime I went to Birmingham NEC to Microsoft's Windows 2000 Server OS launch and it was quite a show. Brilliant. Of all people they had Jonathan Ross present and host some of the technical presentations. He slagged off Bill Gates right, left and centre. Of course Bill Gates may also be a hate figure to a few and a nerd figure to some to be made fun of. I'm not sure if Microsoft were aware of the JR's humour - but it went down a treat. World's richest self-made man has the humility to laugh at him self.

A true legend!

Concur with #66 comments on Bill Gates. I've never been able to understand why a guy who has done so much to change the world for better, created so much employment and practised much philanthropy is so reviled in some quarters.

Am I wrong in thinking that he has changed the world for the better? :confused:

Concur with #66 comments on Bill Gates. I've never been able to understand why a guy who has done so much to change the world for better, created so much employment and practised much philanthropy is so reviled in some quarters.

Very interesting: part one of four or five I think.

Also if you can find a copy of it somewhere watch a film called "Pirates of Silicon Valley". It's sort of a biography of the early Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (and the other dude whose name I can't remember). Makes you think you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it.

Last edited:

I can't criticise his philanthropy other than to say that 50% of other people in his position would probably do the same, so no massive bonus point there.

But in his business activities as leader of Microsoft he quickly became a monopolist and his activities as a monopolist to stamp out competition caused huge opportunity loss that we will only ever be able to imagine.

I revile monopolists - they are the enemies of society, of capitalism, of progress, of everything except their own narrow interests.

Death is too good for them. It's our own fault because governments could have flattened out the operating systems market but no, of course the monopolists with all their power had us by the balls.

I regularly play Monopoly with the intention of losing and then launching into a diatribe about the weakness of the human character, the fragility of society, and the fleeting nature of all that is good or beautiful. Anyone for a game online? :jester:

But in his business activities as leader of Microsoft he quickly became a monopolist and his activities as a monopolist to stamp out competition caused huge opportunity loss that we will only ever be able to imagine.

That's a fair point. But haven't so many industrialists been successful because they have squeezed out the competition and produced useful, wanted products that worked. (Eg the post-war American aircraft industry.) If this wasn't the case would we end up with lots of small-time, reasonably profitable companies making little progress (eg the UK PC industry).?

As a professional technologist I would say that Windows/MS-DOS has not changed the world for the better. I would say the main culprits were IBM who essentially invented the blueprint for a PC. Gates was smart in persuading them to ship his OS with the machinery. The rest as they say, is history. Incidentally, the jump from MS-DOS to the first version of Windows was as a result of Gates being influenced by what Jobs was doing with Apple.

Google are the new MS. MS' zenith was some years ago.

Gates is a phenomenal man. It is no coincidence that MS is languishing now since he retired.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Greek village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna.

The American complimented the Greek on the quality of his fish and asked, "How long does it take to catch them?" The Greek replied: "Only a little while."

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Greek said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. The American then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Greek fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play cards with my friends, I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.

Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution.

You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Athens, then London and eventually New York where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Greek fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?" To which the American replied, "15-25 years."

"But what then?" The American laughed and said that's the best part. "When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions ... Then what?" The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play cards with your friends."

That's a fair point. But haven't so many industrialists been successful because they have squeezed out the competition and produced useful, wanted products that worked. (Eg the post-war American aircraft industry.) If this wasn't the case would we end up with lots of small-time, reasonably profitable companies making little progress (eg the UK PC industry).?

Do you know what happened to the UK PC industry?

http://www.arm.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

Powers practically every mobile device in the world. That's not small IMO. Just quiet.

Easy mistake 0007. Takes a geek to remember stuff like that. Also most people associate the UK computer industry with the lunatic/genius (delete as applicable), Clive Sinclair.

Me - I was always a 6502 processor boy, never a Z80. Rubber keys - pah!

The guys at Acorn figured out that CPU and intellectual property was where it was at. Clive thought he'd wow the world with a battery powered tricycle.

Some time ago the really rich and powerful acted out their fantasies whether it was building a pyramid ( Egyptian pharoahs ) or an Empire ( Julius Caesar ).

Who will remember small timers like Gates or Bufett in 3 centuries time ? Those hugely rich robber barons of the 19th century are barely remembered.

Maybe I would be like the Renaissance masters if I were super rich. By attracting the very best craftsmen on the planet to create some very special buildings, art etc. etc.

Currently although I feel sorry for those suffering the latest disaster in Pakistan I can't help asking what the hell have they been doing for the last 10,000 years. Rivers flood regularly so why not everyone involved give 1 day a weeks free labour to build up some levees to keep the water in a channel ?

Currently although I feel sorry for those suffering the latest disaster in Pakistan I can't help asking what the hell have they been doing for the last 10,000 years. Rivers flood regularly so why not everyone involved give 1 day a weeks free labour to build up some levees to keep the water in a channel ?

You mean a bit like those lazy gits in Mississippi, all along the Elbe, or in Boscastle, Cornwall?

Not that I think that throwing charity at the problem will make it go away, but check your facts first people.

Another thing about Bill Gates.

He should donate some of his vast wealth to securing Windows against hackers and ridding the world of all the hijacked Windows bot-nets that shower our email with spam and viruses.

It's like a soap-opera version of Terminator, thanks to Microsoft's dumb choice of setting the security configuration for every version of Windows to date to be installed unsecured by default.

You would have thought that he'd be embarrassed, wouldn't you?

It's a bit like he won a night in bed with Claudia Schiffer but unfortunately gave her herpes.

Another thing about Bill Gates.

He should donate some of his vast wealth to securing Windows against hackers and ridding the world of all the hijacked Windows bot-nets that shower our email with spam and viruses.

It's like a soap-opera version of Terminator, thanks to Microsoft's dumb choice of setting the security configuration for every version of Windows to date to be installed unsecured by default.

You would have thought that he'd be embarrassed, wouldn't you?

It's a bit like he won a night in bed with Claudia Schiffer but unfortunately gave her herpes.

The other side of the coin is that there are many more SW developers - developing for the gaps and user requirements that Windows does not fulfill. It generated a number of security companies fulfilling a nieche market.

Previously incorporating a browser with the OS was staunting competition. Not having security seems to be a short sight. Most of the time there is a learning process too and playing catch up.

Point about raising Bill Gates was his money and his approach to it - as reflected in his character. I believe his not leaving it to the kids.

It will be very interesting to see what he does and how he uses that money in the latter stages of his life.