What do you wish you had been told?

No, no, no dude...

Now you have gone and messed up someone's trading approach... :cheesy:

Having said that all 5 tips I can vouch for from personal experience... :smart:

How it hangin' brap brap,

What I mean is that everything was told to me before I started - I just chose not to listen. Most of us are too impatient, greedy and lazy to undertake the necessary learning before jumping in to the market.

Sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiit.

In all honesty, the answer is nothing. Everything important, in terms of the major principles of trading and the path to success, is freely available here and in other similar places. Not only that, but these principles are endlessly repeated. The most useful books are well known and are also available on the internet for anyone to try before purchasing them.

Most people simply do not want to believe that these principles apply to them. They prefer to hope that the answer can be purchased, or will be given to them by some improbable philanthropist.

I would say the following to a new trader:

1. The secret to success is to fully appreciate that there are no secrets.

2. Trading is the same as almost every other endeavour - success is mostly a matter of hard work, learning, and perseverance.

3. It is all but impossible to trade somebody else's method effectively. You must reach your own conclusions or profitable execution of a method of trading is all but impossible over the long term.

4. Everyone's path will be different, but logic and reason are key to success. Be sceptical, and ensure that you understand why you are using anything that you use. If it is not logical and rational, it is almost certainly harmful to you.

5. It is entirely possible, using only what is freely available on the internet, and spending at the absolute most a few hundred pounds on books, to design one's own method of trading that will allow one an excellent chance of achieving long-term success.

One of the best posts I've ever read on t2w.

How it hangin' brap brap,

What I mean is that everything was told to me before I started - I just chose not to listen. Most of us are too impatient, greedy and lazy to undertake the necessary learning before jumping in to the market.

Sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Yes me too and I agree absolutely. I thought I knew it all too - big head that I was... Perhaps over confident - I blame me parents for the great job they have done instilling positive vibes in me... I couldn't face reality. Me,wrong, never! :-0

Someone has to take the blame don't they...

I'd like to ask Alan Sugar if he made any glaring obvious mistakes which he now recognises where due to his psychological make up - and what were they.

Your analogy is utterly bogus - how is employing a trading strategy like driving a car backwards?

Well, if it's a bad strategy you will be losing ground...sorta like driving backwards.
Sorry, I though you were posing a riddle?

Peter

My analagy guys was meant as so,

Trading within a specific system is like trying to get to a destination in a car driving in reverse with the only view your mirror. Yes you can get there but you have limited vision as in only using the indicators or fundamentals of the system in question as in the mirror and also with just the reverse gear. You could be looking through the front screen and observing everything and also having many gears at your disposal for if and when you need them to ultimately increase the probability of a correct trade as in looking at everything that you feel you need to look at, at any particular time.

Building up that experience and knowledge and feel of what is going on and not just 100% locked into a system? Trading without a specific system and looking at every possible perspective you can before entering a trade has to further increase your statistical chance of success regardless of market, ranging, trending, volitility etc because you are continually adapting and recognising and understanding the dynamics very quickly on any given day?

Each to there own guys, happy trading :)

Well, if it's a bad strategy you will be losing ground...sorta like driving backwards.
Sorry, I though you were posing a riddle?

Peter

Well, I guess that if your car was heading towards a very large cliff, you might actively WANT to drive backwards at some point.

Each to *there* own, I suppose. It's also important to try to minimize loosing trades.

I see no cliff out their. Besides my loosing trades are none of you're business.
It's hi time I quite this thread.

Peter

lol, what I am saying is you want reverse, all the gears, your mirrors, the front windscreen for vision,as you might be at a cliff, might on a hill, might need to do a 3 point turn and all systems are too restictive as are limited ultimately to the tools you use.

Now I am getting bored of this analagy guys :) time to quit this thread also.

1) keep a circle of people whose thoughts you value
2)get a BALANCE between r/r and win rate (something that saved my ass)
3)you don't have to be directional in trading, there are a few little tricks around the place if you just have a look...

edit :
4) if you know something that makes money, don't care if it's yours or not, the aim is to bank and not be right!(i don't mean go buy 30 systems)

lol, what I am saying is you want reverse, all the gears, your mirrors, the front windscreen for vision,as you might be at a cliff, might on a hill, might need to do a 3 point turn and all systems are too restictive as are limited ultimately to the tools you use.

Now I am getting bored of this analagy guys :) time to quit this thread also.

Excellent video on how to trade well.

I'm a member by the way if anybody would like any tips I'm happy to provide one to one tutorials for a nominal fee.:cheesy:

In all honesty, the answer is nothing. Everything important, in terms of the major principles of trading and the path to success, is freely available here and in other similar places. Not only that, but these principles are endlessly repeated. The most useful books are well known and are also available on the internet for anyone to try before purchasing them.

Most people simply do not want to believe that these principles apply to them. They prefer to hope that the answer can be purchased, or will be given to them by some improbable philanthropist.

I would say the following to a new trader:

1. The secret to success is to fully appreciate that there are no secrets.

2. Trading is the same as almost every other endeavour - success is mostly a matter of hard work, learning, and perseverance.

3. It is all but impossible to trade somebody else's method effectively. You must reach your own conclusions or profitable execution of a method of trading is all but impossible over the long term.

4. Everyone's path will be different, but logic and reason are key to success. Be sceptical, and ensure that you understand why you are using anything that you use. If it is not logical and rational, it is almost certainly harmful to you.

5. It is entirely possible, using only what is freely available on the internet, and spending at the absolute most a few hundred pounds on books, to design one's own method of trading that will allow one an excellent chance of achieving long-term success.

5hit bandit, you just pulled a gem out. Note to newbies, bag and tag this information. All that's missing is you laying back with a smoke in your mouth... Oh wait
5b54f1e1-baf1-ab3f.jpg

That indicators, theories, analysis, trading manuals and systems are all used and written with knowledge of the past and not the present or future. So therefore are all pretty useless. Thats why 85% + of traders loose and trading gurus can talk so eloquently about rubbish for hours. Thats what would have wanted to be told and not waste so much time on them.

That indicators, theories, analysis, trading manuals and systems are all used and written with knowledge of the past and not the present or future. So therefore are all pretty useless. Thats why 85% + of traders loose and trading gurus can talk so eloquently about rubbish for hours. Thats what would have wanted to be told and not waste so much time on them.

"trading gurus can talk so eloquently about rubbish for hours"

That is certainly true.

However, in my opinion the past is the foundation of trading, because it is repeated all day long, every day. It has to be, because a market is simply buying and selling, and that activity creates patterns and "areas" that can help us to make logical trading decisions.

"trading gurus can talk so eloquently about rubbish for hours"

That is certainly true.

However, in my opinion the past is the foundation of trading, because it is repeated all day long, every day. It has to be, because a market is simply buying and selling, and that activity creates patterns and "areas" that can help us to make logical trading decisions.

What happened to the lulzy fxbandit? What did you do with him and how do we get him back?

Peter