What do you wish you had been told?

I apologize for these posts in maybe not the right thread but this is a forum for open discussion and dont tend to post much.

If you read my post I say for the first 6 months watch the markets and what do you as an idividual see, from purely your own perspective? what is your take on the market? Then after that read as much as you possibly can, forums,books etc etc etc before you actually start trading and take from them everything what you believe is good information and can add value to what you are doing.

No mate, advise newbies to read virtually everything they can lay your hands on but firstly have just a look at what maybe they can see for themselves in the markets without any bias from anywhere, not to start trading with cash immeditaly, sorry if I was not clear there.

Okay, and will apologise for my arrogance earlier as have the flu and been in bed today not trading and found myself a bit wound up.

To a new trader I would say this to them, dont read any books, any information on the markets apart from the very basic but look, watch and study commodities, major FOREX PAIRS and the FTSE and DOW movement all together and see how they work, react at any given time, to whatever news, what is driving what etc at any given moment and taking notes and keeping a daily log, with comments and observations. Do this to give yourself a possible view and perspective on the markets that a total newbie would see that is totally unbiased by other input, try and build your own platofrm from software that you want to see on your computer screen based on what you feel is important?

I would say do this for at least a few months minimum, 6 months maybe, then read as much as you can on this(BBMAX trading system great start) and any other forum to build and further improve what you feel will add to the way you would like to trade but only to further add to your initial perspective and not as an overall control to the way you trade. You should find that when you start reading that some things you discovered by yourself are actually in use and good, and I hate to use to word systems, but ways to further improve the statistical chance of predicting the market movement.

You may get to a stage where from all this hard work you have built up a database on information in your brain that allows you at any given moment to jump in based on what could be so many different parameters and factors to any market at any given time and not just hard fundamentals? That is why I sate that rigid systems do not account for all of this and think that this is the best challenge to trade in this environment and perspective.

This way is not for everyone, you have to be a bit different I guess, and there are no short cuts here, nothing but constant hard graft and analysis of the markets over years may get you to where you want to be, this is one of the hardest ways to trade, and does require the hardest of effort but the rewards are there. This is also obviously always a work in progress effort going on each day so that you are still continually adapting to whatever the market decides to do in the best dynamic way possible. Most traders want that system that brings overnight success with little work, and do not mean to knock those who do. For me this was the only way I ever wanted to trade and that was not even from advice from anywhere, it is what I felt would be best suited for me, it was for me the most logical progression to trading and would never have done it any other way?

That said, this is so not the norm way of trading and maybe a newbie or many should go down this route but each to their own, we all have to be intellligent enough to stand on our own 2 feet and make decisions and quite frankly never take advice from anyone just absorb the information and take out of it what you feel you need to? A little, lots, bugger all?

This maybe crap reading to most but that would be my advice to any beginner? Would like to add that hardly anyone would do this or indeed does this, maybe I am a bit of a lone voice here so most can ignore this post, and expect a few of the usual arrogant replies.This worked for me and was the only way that I ever wanted to trade and felt was the best way to go.

If you like the above is my system but hate that word, but not one that you can punch in a few indicators or put in writing but you can only do with the right effort and outlook, no short cuts here.

Did you ever flog that multi-monitor set up you were trying to get out of?

Let's get this thread back on track - what do you wish you had been told.

Now, does anyone wish they had been told about t2w?

Did you ever flog that multi-monitor set up you were trying to get out of?

Just too valuble to sell to me now mate, lot of moving around etc with the weight but definately going to keep it, just looking at too much data at a time and a couple of lap tops no good.

Have decided to put some roots down in Marbella from January so it is coming with me.

thanks meanrevision but have 8 x 22" monitor system and would not give it up now for anything, if I start to get mobile again may consider alternatives.

also, the T2W forum is a great website with so much good information and any newbie should find it with very limited searching on the net. If they need to be told after trading for a while..........

Told ? Any tale would be fine, as whilst being open to any thing being told, I would not rely on it. And lets face it discovery is a progressive education in the making, should we rob others of that ? How much damage might it do , how long will it set others back , is it in their long term best interests to be told anything ?

I think when tales are told one can perhaps see the marker post that one has lent against for a time, in ones own journey.

Tell me anything you like, good info, disinfo , datinfo, it's up to us all as lone individuals to pick the bones out of it, this information biz, and to transfer those skills into another information biz.

Who was it who said, " yeah yeah yeah, I'll tell you a story ? "

Telling someone is robbing them of education, growth, discovery, awareness, the joy and satisfaction of progressing from A to Z !

Still having information repeaters is necessary I guess, but , if they don't know it, then their fast track to ignorance, only leaves them exposed to receive the required extra lessons they skipped out on earlier perhaps. There are no shortcuts, worth taking if your undertakings have any worth to yourself !

There is no I in SHORTCUTS !

(y)

There is no "mackerel" in St John's Wood, the only tube station in London for which this applies. All the others contain at least one of those letters.

Spot on Spinola, anyone who needs wrapping up in cotton wool here will not survive. It is an awesome journey of self discovery for anyone to take, a brutal animal and the best example of evolution and survival of the fittest I think anyone can take part in, it is the game of the gods.

Dont we just love it for all its glory.

Hmm, apparently Pimlico is also unique in that it is the only tube station that does not contain any letters from the word "badger".

that the majority will die in the wilderness, few,,,,,,,,,very few.......... will reach the promised land.

Bank is the only tube station for 'Flower'

e2a - Jesus - I looked at the URL - Ben used to work for me as a web front end developer

Guess how many stations come up if you type travel? ;)

Guess first? :cool:

No cheating! :mad:

Before you started trading, what do you wish you had been told? - one thing

In all honesty, the answer is nothing. Everything important, in terms of the major principles of trading and the path to success, is freely available here and in other similar places. Not only that, but these principles are endlessly repeated. The most useful books are well known and are also available on the internet for anyone to try before purchasing them.

Most people simply do not want to believe that these principles apply to them. They prefer to hope that the answer can be purchased, or will be given to them by some improbable philanthropist.

I would say the following to a new trader:

1. The secret to success is to fully appreciate that there are no secrets.

2. Trading is the same as almost every other endeavour - success is mostly a matter of hard work, learning, and perseverance.

3. It is all but impossible to trade somebody else's method effectively. You must reach your own conclusions or profitable execution of a method of trading is all but impossible over the long term.

4. Everyone's path will be different, but logic and reason are key to success. Be sceptical, and ensure that you understand why you are using anything that you use. If it is not logical and rational, it is almost certainly harmful to you.

5. It is entirely possible, using only what is freely available on the internet, and spending at the absolute most a few hundred pounds on books, to design one's own method of trading that will allow one an excellent chance of achieving long-term success.

In all honesty, the answer is nothing. Everything important, in terms of the major principles of trading and the path to success, is freely available here and in other similar places. Not only that, but these principles are endlessly repeated. The most useful books are well known and are also available on the internet for anyone to try before purchasing them.

Most people simply do not want to believe that these principles apply to them. They prefer to hope that the answer can be purchased, or will be given to them by some improbable philanthropist.

I would say the following to a new trader:

1. The secret to success is to fully appreciate that there are no secrets.

2. Trading is the same as almost every other endeavour - success is mostly a matter of hard work, learning, and perseverance.

3. It is all but impossible to trade somebody else's method effectively. You must reach your own conclusions or profitable execution of a method of trading is all but impossible over the long term.

4. Everyone's path will be different, but logic and reason are key to success. Be sceptical, and ensure that you understand why you are using anything that you use. If it is not logical and rational, it is almost certainly harmful to you.

5. It is entirely possible, using only what is freely available on the internet, and spending at the absolute most a few hundred pounds on books, to design one's own method of trading that will allow one an excellent chance of achieving long-term success.

No, no, no dude...

Now you have gone and messed up someone's trading approach... :cheesy:

Having said that all 5 tips I can vouch for from personal experience... :smart: