Votes: 4 8.3%
  • The higher knowledge passed down by some of the greats on this BB

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Price and one or two other things

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Bit of all the above

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
I use a bit of technical analysis, a bit of price on its own and some ignorance of the knowledge passed down by some of the greats on this BB. Can't see an option for that, so I haven't voted :)

Sorry Bigbusiness, can't seem to add on an 'bit of all of the above' option. Maybe the mods can slip that on at the end?

Joules, just the question as is really...

To enter (and exit) a trade, do you do so by using the information that the charts tell you, the price, news or a greater, deeper understanding of time and long complicated words, minced together till they don't seem to make sense to anyone anymore...

chrisw said:
Sorry Bigbusiness, can't seem to add on an 'bit of all of the above' option. Maybe the mods can slip that on at the end?

Joules, just the question as is really...

To enter (and exit) a trade, do you do so by using the information that the charts tell you, the price, news or a greater, deeper understanding of time and long complicated words, minced together till they don't seem to make sense to anyone anymore...

Exactly that and the opposite of what the 'experts' are saying on the telly, oh and analysts comments on shares of course too, they are great for giving you the wrong direction for a trade

As for price alone, I think that is also charting but in the mind... I do that a lot cos I know the share so well that I don't need to look at a chart

Added a couple of options, hope that's okay.

I trade context. (*will you please stop banging on about context :)*)

It's just a convenient word to encompass several factors, honest.

Context can involve any or all of: volume, MA, Tick, Trin, internals, fundamentals, price patterns, waves, DOM etc. and absolutely must involve time, by definition.

Once context suggests an opportunity (the validity of such being dependent upon my shaky interpretation of the elements involved, of course) the entry and exit points are specified as ... a price.

Without wanting to belabour the obvious, PRICE, apart from the lone fundamentalist, has absolutely no relevance to a "TECHNICAL, or P&V" trader whatsoever.

You could simply replace price with "XYZ" and have exactly the same outcome.
All you are chasing is momentum, upside or downside, and looking for turning points in time for that entry or exit.

I asked old DBP, back in time to define price. No definition, as of course, price to P&V has no context.

Whats the difference og GOOG at $220, as opposed to $115, apart from one is lower than the other...........but by plotting XYZ on a vertical graph, you could receive exactly the same information.

Please no-one say it's CHEAPER, as it is, but so what? How does T/A quantify a VALUE to anything?............You only need to know up or down, in what timeframe.

Context can involve volume, an MA, Tick, Trin, internals, fundamentals, price patterns, waves etc.

This simply tries to measure the direction, and the intensity. Price, is irrelevant. Put in XYZ, and see if there is a difference.

cheers d998

Hi ducati,

A single price in isolation is meaningless, of course, but given sufficient trading activity and time, price will fluctuate and be kind enough to form identifiable patterns, some of which may be worth trading. These patterns form part of the context together with the other things I mentioned. Context is nothing more than a confluence of evidence that I personally find useful, while others may not.

A trade must be taken at a certain point and price is the usual means of accurately specifying it, purely a matter of descriptive convention and convenience.

If you prefer to call price "horse" it would indeed make no difference to the trading method. "I'll wait till a bar achieves a low horse of 10340 (a shetland?) and then buy on a stop on tick above the high horse. But while the horse rocks between 10345 and 10350 I will stay out", or whatever.

I have no problem with that. But your argument above is surely a matter for the philosophers of language rather than anything directly relevant to trading?

Of course we seek movement, for without it there is no opportunity to profit.

PRICE, apart from the lone fundamentalist, has absolutely no relevance to a "TECHNICAL trader whatsoever.

All you are chasing is momentum, upside or downside, and looking for turning points in time for that entry or exit.

This simply tries to measure the direction, and the intensity. Price, is irrelevant

I'd pretty much agree with that, speaking personally, I have no interest in whether something is "cheap" or "expensive" the price simply provides a scale with which to work.

ducati998 said:
Without wanting to belabour the obvious, PRICE, apart from the lone fundamentalist, has absolutely no relevance to a "TECHNICAL, or P&V" trader whatsoever.

You could simply replace price with "XYZ" and have exactly the same outcome.

I asked old DBP, back in time to define price. No definition, as of course, price to P&V has no context.

Whats the difference og GOOG at $220, as opposed to $115, apart from one is lower than the other...........but by plotting XYZ on a vertical graph, you could receive exactly the same information.

Please no-one say it's CHEAPER, as it is, but so what? How does T/A quantify a VALUE to anything?............You only need to know up or down, in what timeframe.

This simply tries to measure the direction, and the intensity. Price, is irrelevant. Put in XYZ, and see if there is a difference.

cheers d998
I cannot find any discussion, but I would have loved to have read the pair of you discussing it, it must have been an event of note, truly. I can expect another tirade for this, but sorry chaps, just could not resist....

Racer said:
As for price alone, I think that is also charting but in the mind... I do that a lot cos I know the share so well that I don't need to look at a chart
AAAAHH ! ......Visual Mathematics, at last.

Socrates........As you may feel a little left out I've constructed a poll for you. What do you use?

tea leaves
banned substances
etheral nonsense
mystic Meg's crystal ball
Smoke signals from your latest book burning session

Maybe a combination of all the above? As your experience is "considerable", do you hold shares in PG tips?

UTB

Hi Blades

Sounds like old Soc is not on your Valentines card list.

Maybe you should add a " bucket of bull's manure" to your above list.

:LOL:

Salty Gibbon said:
Hi Blades

Sounds like old Soc is not on your Valentines card list.

Maybe you should add a " bucket of bull's manure" to your above list.

:LOL:

Eyup Salty,

I had considered it, but on second thoughts decided it would have too much predictive power for our great thinker.

UTB

Racer said:
Exactly that and the opposite of what the 'experts' are saying on the telly, oh and analysts comments on shares of course too, they are great for giving you the wrong direction for a trade

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Sometimes I am really surprised by what appears in the financial media. One would assume those invited to comment should be market experts with all the resources available to them, but the things they say... :rolleyes:

clylbw said:
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Sometimes I am really surprised by what appears in the financial media. One would assume those invited to comment should be market experts with all the resources available to them, but the things they say... :rolleyes:

clylbw, many of the "experts" who appear on the financialmedia are fund managers, they make their living from having people invest in their funds, therefore it is not in their interest to tell the public that the markets are going to go down, otherwise Joe Public will keep his money in the bank until next year, so they say things like "this is just a soft patch, we expect a strong second half to the year" keeps the punters happy.

the blades said:
Socrates........As you may feel a little left out I've constructed a poll for you. What do you use?

tea leaves
banned substances
etheral nonsense
mystic Meg's crystal ball
Smoke signals from your latest book burning session

Maybe a combination of all the above? As your experience is "considerable", do you hold shares in PG tips?

UTB
I am going to continue to tease you rotten as you deserve by telling you everything except what you obviously deperately need.

Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

Interesting statistic in this poll, of the 27 votes so far not 1 has voted for knowledge passed down from the "greats"on this bulletin board, whoever they might be......just to clarify ....thats 0%, nada, none, zero, zilch.

If I was a "great" I'd be pretty hacked off that my "greatness" had'nt been recognised :rolleyes:

Now 0% from 41

Last edited: