Stop loss size on S&P Emini. ( Let's see )

bthomp2

I am curious to see how many other traders in this forum use a similar Loss / Profit trading the S&P Emini.

I use a 1.5 loss and a 3.5 profit and never change a thing.

Is anyone else willing to share how they use stops & profit numbers.

I am really just curious! Be honest and you may learn something about yourself.

Bud

:rolleyes:

I stopped trading s&p and moved to Dow...too much leverage. With s&p my stop needs to be tight @ 12ticks!! I've done over 5% a day sometimes, but the losing trades need to be cut quickly!

I can afford wide stops on mini-dow @20 points before I need to exit.

I am curious to see how many other traders in this forum use a similar Loss / Profit trading the S&P Emini.

Bud

I'm always interested in stop theory! There are a lot of different ideas. The main reason for this post is to get subscribed.

My work plus time zone make it difficult to trade SP. I usually trade European but am trying to develope trading in SP. SP opens at 1430 CET, just as I am leaving and I get back about 40 minutes before the close. My idea is to enter a trade any time up to 6 hours before it opens, in our a.m. It is very slow, of course, but if I get it right I can get enough profit to be able to use it as a stop loss while I am away at work. Then I can decide whether to close or trade overnight before the market closes. Much of the time I get stopped, but I have been gratified to find it very useful in get started on a trend of several days.

Split,

S&P Cash market opens 14:30 UK not CET (Excluding the 1 or 2 weeks in the year when US and UK D.S.T changes differ). The ES futures market is open almost 24/5. (23:45)

Central European Time (CET) - What's the time in Central Europe now?

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you, unless spreadbetters have different times. I could be wrong, but it seems that the action starts at 1430 CET, to me. We are 1 hour ahead of UK time. 2 hours ahead of GMT.

I'll tell you what. Tomorrow, I'll post here at around the time I see the market opening.

Split

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you, unless spreadbetters have different times. I could be wrong, but it seems that the action starts at 1430 CET, to me. We are 1 hour ahead of UK time. 2 hours ahead of GMT.

I'll tell you what. Tomorrow, I'll post here at around the time I see the market opening.

Split

NT, is correct, Split.

Don't forget that fins is UK based Split, and your pc clock will show an hour in front of us here, so when fins shows the opening action at 14.30 your pc clock will say 15.30, yes/no? have a look tomorrow :)

Split

Split, I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you, The S&P Cash market opens at 08.30 Chicago time, 09.30 New York and 14:30 UK. You don't need to post anything tomorrow because I know what I am talking about, do you?

...People...:rolleyes:

Split, I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you, The S&P Cash market opens at 08.30 Chicago time, 09.30 New York and 14:30 UK. You don't need to post anything tomorrow because I know what I am talking about, do you?

...People...:rolleyes:

You really are a very rude person, do you know that? You can roll your eyes as much as you like. If you are right, you are right and I am wrong but, believe me, I am not desperately worried about it.

Don't forget that fins is UK based Split, and your pc clock will show an hour in front of us here, so when fins shows the opening action at 14.30 your pc clock will say 15.30, yes/no? have a look tomorrow :)

Don't want to turn this placid Sunday afternoon into an international incident. It looks as if I could be wrong on opening times but I'm not so sure, yet. Perhaps it is the starting volatility that has fooled me into thinking that the market has opened earlier than it has.

Here's a chart covering two days.

Attachments

• Trading times.JPG
    Trading times.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 302
Yes, I can see what you're getting at, and as you say a spreadbetting thing whereby their s&p cash is getting pushed around by the European indices jockeying for position, so as not to get wrong footed ahead of the US open and of course any US pre market action.

In fact it's fun witnessing a bullish European market melt to nowt in the face of a US bear. I must be one of those perma bears then :-0

All very off topic, I should put it all somewhere else, perhaps later when the stops discussions begin as I'm having my tea :D

Don't want to turn this placid Sunday afternoon into an international incident. It looks as if I could be wrong on opening times but I'm not so sure, yet. Perhaps it is the starting volatility that has fooled me into thinking that the market has opened earlier than it has.

Here's a chart covering two days.

Split,

Some of the biggest market moving figures, such as NFP, are released @ 13:30U.K. This might account for the volatility you are seeing at 14:30C.E.T.

I normally have Bloomberg on in the background and like Pavlov’s dog, when I hear the market starting bell ring I salivate in anticipation of the market action. There is a clock near where I keep the sponges and I notice that it is precisely 14:30 whenever I reach for one.

P.S: I am not really rude, I am just a humble misanthrope.

Split,

Some of the biggest market moving figures, such as NFP, are released @ 13:30U.K. This might account for the volatility you are seeing at 14:30C.E.T.

I normally have Bloomberg on in the background and like Pavlov’s dog, when I hear the market starting bell ring I salivate in anticipation of the market action. There is a clock near where I keep the sponges and I notice that it is precisely 14:30 whenever I reach for one.

P.S: I am not really rude, I am just a humble misanthrope.

No, I know that you are not rude. You were right and I was wrong. I haven't traded SP as often as the FT and assumed, wrongly, that the market opened as I was going to work, because of the sudden volatility.

Good trading

Split

Bud

Stop Losses
S&P Full 2
S&P Mini 3
I dont believe in fixed Profit points

Bud

This was a question that I have been very interested in.. I try to use 1 point for stoploss an 3 points for profit taking.. However, I think I'm going to try trailing my stop to 1 point behind the current price movement in addition to that. Is there any reason why you leave your stop loss at 1.5? as opposed to 1 point?

Bud

This was a question that I have been very interested in.. I try to use 1 point for stoploss an 3 points for profit taking.. However, I think I'm going to try trailing my stop to 1 point behind the current price movement in addition to that. Is there any reason why you leave your stop loss at 1.5? as opposed to 1 point?

Stop Losses
S&P Full 2
S&P Mini 3
I dont believe in fixed Profit points
Goodonya Lucky, for getting back to the OP's question!! :p

Mine is a 2-point trailing stop on the S&P mini. No limit stop - just allow the trailing stop to take me out in its own time. Often, during a strong move, I will widen the trailing stop to 4 points once I'm into profit.

Catchya, P.