Weekly forecast for S&P 500 cash 2011

My maths definately needs checking - thanks
:confused:

some indicators up for next week, but a bounce off the Upper Bollinger band says down.

Difficult as ever but still up a bit to 1317 imho

anyone playing the up trend should have bagged a load of points by now

1321- this one im going to get wrong as it will no doubt collapse to 1280 area.

1321 though

average = 1311
weighted av = 1312

Attachments

• calcs.xls
    13.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
An interesting article by The Telegraph

The headline findings are reasonably familiar ones. If you had invested $100 in US equities in 1900, with reinvested dividends it would today be worth $22m, against just $191,000 for bonds. Expressed in real terms (after adjusting for inflation), the numbers are in some respects even more remarkable. Equities have shown an 851-fold increase, against just 7.5 for US Treasuries.

If these rates of return had proceeded evenly in a straight line, then investment would be a dull and predictable business. Tens of thousands of pundits, both gainful and more usually un-gainful, would be out of a job. Fortunately for them, equity prices are highly volatile, while even government bonds are subject to inflation, currency and sovereign credit risk. They are always on the move, generally in quite unpredicable ways.

Since the trough of the credit crunch in March 2009, UK equities have recovered 87pc, and emerging markets by a jaw-dropping 150pc. Rarely have rates of return been so good.

But these gains followed dramatic falls in the preceding year and a half, and in neither the US nor the UK have equities yet recovered to their pre-crisis highs. Worse, this is the second bear market for equities in less than a decade. Even with dividends reinvested, you'd be down on your money so far this century.

Bonds and cash, on the other hand, have done well. The bottom line is that equities are shot through with risk; there are plenty of years in which they return less than cash. To compensate for this risk, investors demand a higher rate of return, or an equity risk premium.

The question therefore arises of how long you have to hold equities to be certain that the premium fully compensates for the risk of a sudden loss of value. In his book Stocks for the Long Run , the US investment analyst Jeremy Siegel puts this timeframe at 20 years.

In other words, over any 20-year period you care to take in modern US history, equities will always do better than cash. The outperformance in some 20-year periods will be marginal, and in others very substantial, but his point is that on a 20-year view, there is no risk from holding equities at all.

For Week Ending Friday 11th Febuary at 1330.8

Name...........Call.........Direction.......Podium .........sub Total……………Total
Pat494…………..1317……………..1……………….0……………………….1………………… ..12
Lodian1019....1321............1..............2.... ..............3……………………12
tar..............1302............0..............0. .................0.................8
wackypete2....1320............1..............1.... . ............2……………….…..7
robster970.....1322............1..............3... ...............4…………….………6
isatrader.......1267............0..............0.. ................0…………………...5
w/average…….1312……………..1………………..0………………….…..1………………… … 5
brettus.........1310............0..............0.. ................0.................3
Gaffs1964……..1295……………..0……………….0………………….…..0….……… … … ..3
hwsteele.......-----............0..............0... ...............0……………..……..2
av...............1311............0..............0. . ...............0.................2
Samspade79…..----..…………….0……………….0…………………….…0….…………………0
pharma……………----.....………..0………………0………………………..0………….………. 0
swatpips........----.............0............0.... ................0.................0

Hopefully I've got me sums right this week
robster970 wins this week's comp - good one

Most are better than the average which is good. The weighted average is doing well already. I expect it will get even better as time progresses tho.

:clap:

good luck to all next week

:clover:

1342 for me this week

is there no let up in the current rise ? Much more could get to be a bubble imho

I think I will go with 1328 this ti...
Hmm, I see that tar did this already.
Ok, I will say 1330 then.
This means the market will tank down to about 1301.
Oh well:confused:

I think I will go with 1328 this ti...
Hmm, I see that tar did this already.
Ok, I will say 1330 then.
This means the market will tank down to about 1301.
Oh well:confused:

hehe, ok I'll go with that logic and take 1301

We can split the points if I win :LOL:

Peter