Weak Or Strong Stocks How To Identify Them In Real Time ( Down Loadable Code )

Steve
Just to add to what Paul said above, the Radar is showing the Change in the Cents and ATR14 over the previous 10 minutes.
So if a stock has become stronger during that time, then its ATR and Cents Change will be Positive. If a stock has become weaker, its ATR Change will be Negative.
By sorting the list on either you can see the strong/weak spectrum at any time.
Glenn

Oh; sorry, Just saw Glenn's post after I replied to Paul. Thanks Glenn - I will check that out to make sure I really understand.

Cheers

Steve

Steve
Just to add to what Paul said above, the Radar is showing the Change in the Cents and ATR14 over the previous 10 minutes.
So if a stock has become stronger during that time, then its ATR and Cents Change will be Positive. If a stock has become weaker, its ATR Change will be Negative.
By sorting the list on either you can see the strong/weak spectrum at any time.
Glenn

May I also add that you can change the 10 min to suit your analysis.. This is the best way to use it ,, Look at the 1 min chart of INDU and look for occassions thet INDU has made no major change and see what stock during this period has been going up and which going dow, .. It really does not have to be a 10 MIN time frame ,, it could be 13 min or 34 min time frame on 1 min INDU as every day is different,,

By doing that you can really see which stock is weak and which stock is the strong .. I would not be surprised if you scalped 100% a day correctly provided you use the CODE correctly

Grey1

May I also add that you can change the 10 min to suit your analysis.. This is the best way to use it ,, Look at the 1 min chart of INDU and look for occassions thet INDU has made no major change and see what stock during this period has been going up and which going dow, .. It really does not have to be a 10 MIN time frame ,, it could be 13 min or 34 min time frame on 1 min INDU as every day is different,,

By doing that you can really see which stock is weak and which stock is the strong .. I would not be surprised if you scalped 100% a day correctly provided you use the CODE correctly

Grey1

If it picks out those stocks which are moving when the INDU is not, then:-
a). Such stocks are not going with the tide and are instead driven by news or something else separate from the sentiment in the main market ?
Or
b). They are the stocks which start to move before the market goes in the same direction ?
Or
c). Something else ?

Glenn

Hi Grey1

How do you exit from scalping this method? 20C is easily achievable for stocks with higher ATR. what is the recommended risk: return ratio in this strategy?
thanks,..

If it picks out those stocks which are moving when the INDU is not, then:-
a). Such stocks are not going with the tide and are instead driven by news or something else separate from the sentiment in the main market ?
Or
b). They are the stocks which start to move before the market goes in the same direction ?
Or
c). Something else ?

Glenn

Hi Glenn

These stocks move based on pressure from daily's technical merit and not intra day .. In another word they could be OB or OS on daily chart and as INDU goes through consolidation the weaker stock moves down while stronger moves up .

Grey1

Hi Grey1

How do you exit from scalping this method? 20C is easily achievable for stocks with higher ATR. what is the recommended risk: return ratio in this strategy?
thanks,..

This is a fast scalping technique and you get out as soon as you have 3 bars going your favaour provided the bars are fast furious and spiky . The 3 bars exit rule is well known in trading environment.

Many Swing traders also use the 3 bars rule but on daily chart

Grey1

Iraj,

You may wish to say what timeframe a bar is for the three bars to exit.

Paul

Hi Glenn

These stocks move based on pressure from daily's technical merit and not intra day .. In another word they could be OB or OS on daily chart and as INDU goes through consolidation the weaker stock moves down while stronger moves up .

Grey1

Hi Iraj

Thank you Sir, and many thanks for making the indicator available.

Glenn

Iraj,

You may wish to say what timeframe a bar is for the three bars to exit.

Paul

Paul

It is always 3 * 1 MIN time frame for fast scalping .. if you are swing trading it is 3 *days . In another word you EXIT every three days ..

Grey1

Paul

It is always 3 * 1 MIN time frame for fast scalping .. if you are swing trading it is 3 *days . In another word you EXIT every three days ..

Grey1

Hi Iraj,

I appreciate that this is off topic, however, can you please provide some thoughts on what you consider to be a good swing candidate. What should we/I be looking for in terms of the technical setup

If I am not mistaken, G1 makes a lot of his swing trades on fundamentals, as well as technicals.

I bought BHP Billiton last week for 81.20 with a 3 atr stop ( 14 atr) on its daily chart. The 3 atr stop saved me as the stock was down for hte next 2 days. Over the following 2 days it spiked up to 87 at its highest. I held for a total of 4 days. The 3 ATR stop is something G1 has mentioned before, it is also mentioned in VT`s book.

Fundamental - commodities now seem to have a headwind, altho choppy today.
Tech - good volume, daily cci/rsi/macd OS but weekly bullish. Weekly have changed this week tho.

Anyone else doing swingtrading ?

CT

Hi Iraj,

I appreciate that this is off topic, however, can you please provide some thoughts on what you consider to be a good swing candidate. What should we/I be looking for in terms of the technical setup

There are two ways of choosing a good swing trade

1) Technical
2) Technical and fundamental

No 1 type swings is for very short term lets say up to 3 days
No 2 type swings is for much longer period . Weeks ( this type of swing are far far more credible but needs the knowledge of company 's fundamentals) Example I am full of short in my swing portfolio such as BZH,TMR,LUM . These stocks are in the mortgage business .

Most of you guys are TA Trader so lets give the criteria for technical swing
SHORT
1) if MACCI daily is 100 + on Friday
2) Day 1 stock is in negative lets say on Monday
3) At around 8UK time stock is near low of the day ( on Monday again )
4) Open a postion just before market close ( on Monday )
5) close postion on Wednesday

Pos size must come from daily ATR
Stoploss must come from daily ATR ( allow more than 1 ATR due to market volatility @ open )
Target must be 3 times more than stop loss or the third day which ever hits first

You can write a code to automate this on TS and it is not a difficult task .

Grey1

Last edited:
Grey1

Thank you for sharing this with us. In addition to the technical criteria for the stock selection, would you not also consider the wider environment to be significant? For example, would you tend to enter Swing positions in the same direction as the greater trend (however one defines this!) of the stock, its sector and the market?

Thanks Again

Steve

Steve,

Yes this is why I go through many stocks every night,, You are far far better off shorting weaker stocks that have 100+ MACCI than strong stocks with MACCI 100+

Example if i had to choose between AKAM or APPL and RIMM to short ,, I would certainly rather to SHORT AKAM ,, as AKAM is much weaker stock than either of them both technically or fundamentally .( to look for techncial weak or strong stock look at the weekly chart ,, for fundamental,, look for stocks that are trading near their 26 weeks LOW/HIGH and have given a poor/ excellent out look for their next Q earning .. )

Also market always comes first so market first stock second ,, In another word if your analysis told you the market would gap up tomorrow then it is not point to short any stock ,

Over all try to be more short than LONG ,,, You are far better off shorting stocks than being LONG over night

grey1

Steve,

Yes this is why I go through many stocks every night,, You are far far better off shorting weaker stocks that have 100+ MACCI than strong stocks with MACCI 100+

Example if i had to choose between AKAM or APPL and RIMM to short ,, I would certainly rather to SHORT AKAM ,, as AKAM is much weaker stock than either of them both technically or fundamentally .( to look for techncial weak or strong stock look at the weekly chart ,, for fundamental,, look for stocks that are trading near their 26 weeks LOW/HIGH and have given a poor/ excellent out look for their next Q earning .. )

Also market always comes first so market first stock second ,, In another word if your analysis told you the market would gap up tomorrow then it is not point to short any stock ,

Over all try to be more short than LONG ,,, You are far better off shorting stocks than being LONG over night

grey1

Thanks Iraj,

this is great information as always. I am intrigued by your last sentence...is this a general rule for Swing Trading or is it just for the time we are currently in

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Iraj,

this is great information as always. I am intrigued by your last sentence...is this a general rule for Swing Trading or is it just for the time we are currently in

Cheers,
Frank
Frank

Yes Fear is stronger than Greed ,, This rule applies in all time frame but donot bet ur house on it ,, I am saying generally speaking this is the case.

grey1

Grey1

For indices, such as DOW, going Long overnight works better than shorting o/n. May be becasue we are in overall bullish mode for recent years.

Steve,

grey1

Grey1
Thankyou for anther insight into how you select stocks. How do you actually scan for stocks that have given good/poor out looks for their next quarter earnings? Apart from actually reading the reports. I ask as reading hundreds of reports would obviously be very time consuming.

Thankyou.

thanks for this code Grey1

don't know how to used TS2 yet

don't know what i'm going to used the code for yet

but it feels good to be on the path to Software Power

nice one!!!

View attachment 31725

Last edited:
thanks for this code Grey1

don't know how to used TS2 yet

don't know what i'm going to used the code for yet

but it feels good to be on the path to Software Power

nice one!!!

View attachment 31725

If you'd had the Macci working you'd be making a killing now after the Fed news. :)

Glenn
Glenn