US Indices intraday trading - JULY 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
Hope ya all doing well!
What is the significance of volume in Tom's charts?
From what I can see on a basic level, the spike conforms with the direction of the movement.. is that all I need to know???

Ta :)

BD

Tom knows me too well :D

Yes I'll probably still be up around 5, so I'll get to see the cnn slot!

For those who aren't, here's the cnn link below, they seem to be a little slow in updating, but normally Toms interview is online around 10am.

In the mean time (the face of cantor), David Buik gives his pearls of wisdom!!!!

For your viewing pleasure:

http://edition.cnn.com/BUSINESS/tv/

I Know Tom loves this link!!!! :cheesy:

Cheers a320

Here is the superimposed chart for 14.7.03

Attachments

• 14.7.03.gif
    14.7.03.gif
    63.4 KB · Views: 699
big business, thanks for that....i like the look of that....that was a good day...

Je, CNN wants an early look at the day.....

Does any of you guys who trade UK stocks etc have a good site where i can get some good info on what we are expecting for the day in the FTSE indices....like who is reporting, who is saying what and why and all this kind of stuff.....i would greatly appreciate it...

CJ, go to bed!

Good morning,

I am not sure what to make of the spike lower yesterday. It seems to me that we are getting these spikes more and more frequently. It could have been a genuine mistake or it could have been traders’ front running a major sell program.

Either way the SPX and the SPU3 both printed a nice double top. The market closed in the low quarter of the day after a breakout attempt. The pattern was classic with a first hour high and a failure to regain morning highs led to sell-off. For those who use candlestick analysis the market printed a shooting star on the daily chart. I would like to see the market print a 5-wave decline at this point but if we simply hold right here above 1000 in the SPX, we should get another attempt at the highs. If the double top is taken out I doubt very much the market would stop at 1021. As matter of fact I think it would signal a move towards 1070. This would coincide with the Dow approaching 10,000.

If the market gets back above 1008 in the SP futures and then drops below 1002, I think we will see a decline back to 983. Either way I will want to be short the market below 1000 anyway. Friday is option expiration but I got no feeling for the direction yet. I will want to be out of shorts if the SP500 gets above 1008 today.

There are a number of earnings out today and tomorrow, which will no doubt move the market. Furthermore we have to listen to Allan G and his testimony to congress. One thing which is puzzling is the fact that the big stocks like IBM and MSFT have only rallied 6-10% when the tech stocks have rallied 50-100%. I take this as a signal that the fund managers are betting big on high beta stocks to squeeze the rally for all it is worth. When we turn, and we will turn at some point, the NASDAQ market will come down much faster than the other indices.

The daily path was very precise yesterday but I don’t really know at this stage what to make of it today. The charts indicate that it will be a choppy affair.

The longer term cycles suggest that yesterday was a top with a decline into the 18th July, then up until the 25th of July before the big drop in the 9th of September.

Good luck today

Tom

Attachments

• sp preparation 15 july .png
    sp preparation 15 july .png
    8.4 KB · Views: 680
i doubt it...it wasnt that smooth flowing.....i got a headache again today...i am beginning to wonder if I need glasses

Just sent you an e-mail Tom with a morning round up. You should be able to register for it for free if its any use. It comes thru automatically each morning.... :eek:

Last edited:
Hope Tom doesn't mind me doing this. Here is the reversed chart.

Attachments

• 15.7.03 flipped.gif
    15.7.03 flipped.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 520
bigbusiness

u managed to overlay the path chart very well on the days trading ... any chance u could do it today as well....

cheers

Intel is soaring in after hours trading

could be a good day for the bulls tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if the Dow opened +100 points

thnx BB

ummm, sorry abt this - how abt an inverted overlay as well...

cheers...

LAST POST for a while

The mysterious spike lower on Monday was probably not an error but front running a big sell program. Yesterday the put buying for NASDAQ stocks and in particular the NASDAQ tracker stock QQQ was at an all-time high for a 1-day volume. This could merely be an insurance against anything unexpected.

This “unexpected” could be approaching fast. I am not sure if you have ever studied Chris Carolan’s Spiral Calendar. Mr Carolan has found a statistically significant correlation between the two most significant crashes in the last century, the 1929 and the 1987 crash. Without going into too much detail he found that the number of moons between major events in the history of the world tied in precisely to the day on the Fibonacci growth spiral, when taken as a square root number. Unfortunately this was not a one-off coincidence. He was able to tie in the drop of the first A-bomb in 1945 as well, and some other less flattering events perpetrated by mankind over the last 100 years. It has long been known that the next significant date on the Spiral Calendar is the 29th July 2003. The Spiral calendar suggests that highly emotional events in the past generate highly emotional events in the future.

On the 29th July this year there are two spirals that come together. The 1st spiral is the Fibonacci relationship between the crash in 1929 and the crash in 1987.

As I said above the 2nd Spiral originates from the 6th of August 1945 bombing of Hiroshima. I have cut and past the text below which is the work of Roy Fellow from Colorado long-wave forum:

The first event on that spiral occurred at the F25 on 9/27/67 when LBJ went on national prime time television on ALL channels (remember, no cable TV then… network TV was the only game in town) offering to stop the bombing of North Vietnam if the Viet Cong and NV would come to the peace table. At the time, if you recall, he was under extreme domestic pressure from many groups to end the Vietnam War. The F26 interval is 10/6/73 exactly on the day that Egyptian Forces under Nasser launched a surprise invasion of Israel across the Red Sea in the commencement of the Yom Kippur War. The F27 interval is 6/6/81. At the time the French were assisting the Iraqis to build a nuclear reactor outside of Baghdad that would have the ability to produce fissionable material to construct nuclear weapons. On June 8, 1981, Israel sent one plane with one bomb and destroyed the heart of that reactor. The F29 interval on that spiral is July 29, 2003.

He finishes off by writing that neither he nor Mr Carolan is predicting a nuclear event but the possibility of an emotional event. I present this material to you and you can make your own assessment of the material.

Technically the market is rolling over and the double top at 1015 will be strong resistance for the bulls. However, today will be significant in the sense that it is possible to argue a bullish case with a move above 1008 in the SP500. The bearish case is a move below 996. What you must realise is that the market can decline all the way down to 961 and still be in a bullish momentum in the bigger wave degree.

Bonds are collapsing and this could be very painful for the banks and the brokers and in particular Freddie Mac and Fannie May. This is definitely something to look out for and in particular if the Fed will come in and support the market.

Intel could cause a gap-and-run today in the market but there will be a lot of resistance at $25.10 and above to $26. INTC closed at $24.10 last night and is currently trading at $ 25.40 in Germany.

My thinking here is that the market rarely has an emotional event like the one discussed before without the market beginning to trend in the emotional direction beforehand. The crash in 1929 and 1987 had been trending for at least a month before the crash occurred. As an example of an emotional event, which did not give, a warning signal was the JFK killing in 1963. The market gapped down huge in a very significant up-trend. The market recovered within hours. In the 90’s Allan Greenspan held his famous Irrational Exuberance speech in a clearly defined uptrend. The market pretty much went limit down but recovered within 24 hours. If the market continues higher into the 29th of July this year, I think the high for the year will come in around the 6th of August.

The market should decline today and may possibly slide below 1000. There is some good geometry around the 980 area. From then on we should see a rally up to 1030 going into the 23rd of July. From then on the picture becomes very unclear and this could mean that we will simply trade sideways into month-end.

I am aware that many bears are pinning their hopes on the Bradley model. As I have not seen a decline after the turning date and we are consolidating near the highs, I think we should move much higher going into the month-end. There is a square of 9 turning point coming in at the 23rd of July and this should set the market back for 2-3 days.

The conclusion in my view is that the market will go lower later this summer and it could be quite swift. Whether the 29th July will be the catalyst or not remains to be seen right now. As far as I am concerned I can’t fit that date in with the geometry. It is possible that the final high will be around 1041 going into the final week of July.

Good luck
Sunseeker

Could the "unexpected event" be the same as the one that Lord Jamjar was posting about a couple of months ago.

Have you noticed that Sunseeker and Lord Jamjar are never seen to post at the same time, and they have never been seen on Bloomberg or CBNC at the same time either.

Odd that !

PS only joking Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.