Traders Teaching / Teachers Trading ?

Buddhist Proverb: When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

A great teacher/mentor is someone who has made money directly from their stock market ventures consistently over a long period of time, a decade at least. They have the ability to recognise when someone has the potential to do the same and is willing to provide guidance. A ‘failed’ student is not necessarily the sign of a bad teacher/mentor, success ultimately depends on the student.

I like this post. It expands, makes you feel good, there is no any personal motivation, but only an altruistic purpose.

I may like to add the following:

“If you want to learn something, read about it.
If you want to understand something, write about it.
If you want to master something, teach it.”

I have been trend following for 18 years. Over the Christmas holiday I decided to write a book on trend following & mentor trend following. I wanted to write a book that I would have wished I had read ‎when I first began to trade. My goal was to make this book unique ‎and give all the attributes needed to help one become a ‎successful trader over time.‎ By writing it was a way to reinforce the proper mindset needed when trading. As well when I have mentored, it again reinforces all the proper attributes of trading with a well thought out plan.

‎By writing this book, it is my way to give back. ‎Writing a book that ‎really encompasses all aspects of trading is my ‎way of helping new ‎and aspiring traders. There is way too much hype ‎by people who are ‎not even traders out there which is detrimental to ‎ones learning ‎curve. I have had help along the way of my journey of ‎trend ‎following. By teaching and enlightening others I know I will ‎make a ‎difference in many aspiring traders.

‎I hope the people that will read my book will learn from my mistakes and avoid the 18 year ‎learning ‎curve I have had so far. The lessons I have presented in ‎this book will ‎help one achieve the goals that they are seeking.‎

‎I wanted to share from a traders perspective who trades for a living ‎what one goes through on a daily basis and what a trader needs to ‎know & internalize to become a consistent & successful trader ‎overtime. The majority of books in which I have read over the years ‎seemed to try to boost my confidence by demonstrating how easy ‎trading success can be. Trading for a living is not easy by a long shot.‎

‎My goal is to illustrate the major issues and challenges that traders ‎face. I would assume there are those readers who would prefer and ‎seek the “Easy”. It really does not exist! My purpose and goal was to ‎dispute all the snake oil, hope, hype, unrealistic get rich quick ‎falsehoods. There is no easy money in the markets. You will have to ‎work hard to achieve success. You will make plenty of mistakes ‎however look out the front window & learn from your mistakes. ‎

Too many traders are looking for that Holy Grail indicator or system. The keys to successful trading are:

1. Robust trading methodology which trades all markets and time frames the same
2. Risk Management & Money Management with overlapping layers of redundancy
3. Proper mindset of patience and discipline.

The majority of traders I have spoken to over the years do not realize this simple axioms.

All the best
Andrew

I have been trend following for 18 years. Over the Christmas holiday I decided to write a book on trend following & mentor trend following. I wanted to write a book that I would have wished I had read ‎when I first began to trade. My goal was to make this book unique ‎and give all the attributes needed to help one become a ‎successful trader over time.‎ By writing it was a way to reinforce the proper mindset needed when trading. As well when I have mentored, it again reinforces all the proper attributes of trading with a well thought out plan.

‎By writing this book, it is my way to give back. ‎Writing a book that ‎really encompasses all aspects of trading is my ‎way of helping new ‎and aspiring traders. There is way too much hype ‎by people who are ‎not even traders out there which is detrimental to ‎ones learning ‎curve. I have had help along the way of my journey of ‎trend ‎following. By teaching and enlightening others I know I will ‎make a ‎difference in many aspiring traders.

‎I hope the people that will read my book will learn from my mistakes and avoid the 18 year ‎learning ‎curve I have had so far. The lessons I have presented in ‎this book will ‎help one achieve the goals that they are seeking.‎

‎I wanted to share from a traders perspective who trades for a living ‎what one goes through on a daily basis and what a trader needs to ‎know & internalize to become a consistent & successful trader ‎overtime. The majority of books in which I have read over the years ‎seemed to try to boost my confidence by demonstrating how easy ‎trading success can be. Trading for a living is not easy by a long shot.‎

‎My goal is to illustrate the major issues and challenges that traders ‎face. I would assume there are those readers who would prefer and ‎seek the “Easy”. It really does not exist! My purpose and goal was to ‎dispute all the snake oil, hope, hype, unrealistic get rich quick ‎falsehoods. There is no easy money in the markets. You will have to ‎work hard to achieve success. You will make plenty of mistakes ‎however look out the front window & learn from your mistakes. ‎

Too many traders are looking for that Holy Grail indicator or system. The keys to successful trading are:

The majority of traders I have spoken to over the years do not realize this simple axioms.

All the best
Andrew

hi Andrew, interesting post.

in many of books I have read; the author had similar story to yours; where they end up writing a book about their journey.

curious; how was your track records for the 18 years of trading; or in recent 5 years if you don't mind me asking. and are you still trading for a living?

what's the name of the book?

Thank you for your comeback. As I am a CTA I have posted returns as per my disclosure doc. 2009 was really negible, 2010 was Ok..and last year was not good. However this is what trend following is. You made a good point over 18 years. That is how I look at trend following. I am and will be trading for a living as trendfollowing is a life time strategy for you. It is a marathon. It is not easy in any context. I am turning in the final draft of the book on April 15th. The title will be somewhat like my web site TrendFollowingMentor. The publisher decides on the title as they will do the marketing of the book. It encompasses my journey. All the mistakes I have had and what it took me to become consistent. It was not any magical system, rather how to think, accept the risks, put on low risk bets etc.

All the best
Andrew

hi Andrew, interesting post.

in many of books I have read; the author had similar story to yours; where they end up writing a book about their journey.

curious; how was your track records for the 18 years of trading; or in recent 5 years if you don't mind me asking. and are you still trading for a living?

what's the name of the book?

All the best
Andrew

Since you wrote the book to 'give something back' it will be free right? Lol

As tough as trend following really is, my way of writing on my blog and teaching helps me overcome the emotional issues. It is not just me. I invest with many other CTAs and speak to them all the time. When going through drawdowns it is human nature to question yourself and the methodology. What keeps me in the game is that Richard Donchian traded approx 50 years and did not quit. Trend Following is a marathon. There is no easy way. Just grind it out and "try" to mitigate the inherent drawdowns. Let your winners run and cut losses small. However I have encountered many periods in which eventhough I am taking risks of approx 1% or less, many small losses in a row.

All the best
Andrew

Since you wrote the book to 'give something back' it will be free right? Lol

just from looking at your site; it seems your system is the Turtle system or a variation of it. is this correct?

My trend following is a variation as well as I utilize trend retracements in order to catch moves that per my risk management initially I could not take the trade. The real keys are the risk measures, portfolio selections based on trying to buy the strongest/sell the weakest if I can put on a low risk bet and most importantly the patience & discipline to let the trading plan work overtime.

Hey all

I saw an interesting thread discussion the other day that prompted me to throw this Thread into the mix and a few thoughts / Questions

Do successful Professional Traders make good mentors / Teachers ?

Can any other** Trader teach traditional trading techniques and Strategies sucessfully to less experienced Traders

Why does a successful trader chose to teach ?

c'mon I know this will be an interesting discussion ;)
N

** Any other meaning - not consistently profitable and or Part time

Successful traders can make good mentors , any other can teach but can not teach the holy grail , trading is a patience game so successful traders have plenty of time .

Any other has not been there and does not know the map of gold mine.