Trader performance research

Rhody Trader

Those who go back a ways on T2W may recall that back in 2012 I stared a PhD. Well, I'm finally done!

Just about 2 weeks ago I got the official word from the University of Exeter that the long journey has ended. You may now all call me Dr. Forman. :cool:

As I've mentioned before, my research has been into trader performance. The data is specifically from the forex market, but the broad ideas are cross-market compatible. For those who feel bizarrely compelled to read academic research, you can download a copy of my dissertation here.

Here's the abstract:

Overconfidence and its relationship to investor market participation is well established in the finance literature. The research into investors and social networks is only in its infancy, however. This thesis extends the literature by expanding on both subjects individually, then bringing them together.

Empirical work on individual investors in the existing literature links overconfidence and excess trading, resulting in impaired returns. The preferred activity metric, monthly account turnover, encapsulates two separate elements, though. One is trade frequency. The other is leverage use. Chapter 4 of this thesis theorizes based on the existing literature that in fact trade frequency is not a good measure of overconfidence. It then demonstrates through empirical analysis of a group of individual non-professional foreign exchange traders that leverage is much more suitable to that role.

Chapter 5 turns the focus to social networks, particularly with respect to information transfer. The literature in finance anticipates that network members benefit from their membership. Further, network position (social capital) enhances that benefit. This thesis challenges that expectation with respect to non-professional investors. Findings based on analysis of members of an online retail foreign exchange trader social network indicate that while there may be an educational benefit accruing to unsophisticated members, for more sophisticated ones membership appears to have a negative effect on returns.

One potential explanation for the negative impact of network membership is explored in Chapter 6 in the form of impression management. It is hypothesized that sophisticated investors are influenced in their behaviour by the realization they are being observed, and also the size of their audience. Analysis of foreign exchange traders indicates an increase in leverage use among sophisticated investors as their audience size increases, coinciding with a decline in trade excess returns, making the case for an observation-based rise in overconfidence.

Well Done Dr Forman

Plan to read and go through all the 240 + pages etc

Just out of interest - have you been a retail FX trader yourself over the last 5 or 10 years ?

Regards

F

Just out of interest - have you been a retail FX trader yourself over the last 5 or 10 years ?

Not as much in recent years, but certainly before that. I got started trading retail forex in I want to say 1999, but probably not seriously until 2000 or 2001.

Excellent .....the doctor is most definitely in .......:smart:

Hey RT

Did you trade with BP back in the 80's ?.....I was on shell London trading floor from 79.....

Hey RT

Did you trade with BP back in the 80's ?.....I was on shell London trading floor from 79.....

I got started trading stocks in the 80s after the Crash, but I was only just at university then. Never traded professionally, but went to work as an analyst for then Thomson Financial (Technical Data unit) in the early 90s.