Tottenham Riots

That was the drunk barrister that had opened fire in a residential street in London if I remember correctly. Maybe they should have just shot the gun out of his hand like John Wayne used to do.

Saunders never shot anyone, he was shooting pigeons. He had a shotgun certificate, end of. It was just a public order offence, you don't kill someone over it.

pboyles said:
So what, I wonder, was this latest 'victim' going to do with that gun had he come across someone he thought was 'after' him. Wave it at them as a warning? I think you'll find that several people are alive today because he was taken out.

...and yes if you do have a gun in your possession illegally and are told to drop it then you run a high chance of being shot should you ignore the warning. Is there something wrong with that?

Yeah there is, the gun shouldn't be illegal. Guns rarely kill anyone, it is usually the person behind them; so criminalising them seems pretty stupid.

Are you on drugs ?

Which bit of the law says your allowed to carry a gun cos sum1 mite be after u innit !

Did I say the law said that? I said it is a natural right for a man to protect himself, not a legal one, the police can't be there every minute of every day.

Oh and in such cases it really doesn't matter too much what the law says, you just have to be able to convince a jury you were in danger and they will usually acquit (jury nullification).

Total nonsense.

The guy was carrying a gun because someone close to him had been stabbed?

Well that's what happens when you are in a gang of crack dealers isn't it? You reckon he wasn't carrying a gun before his crack dealing pimp mate got stabbed? Really? You buy that?

That has nothing to do with a law abiding citizen being able to protect his own home. Only a raving liberal would attempt to make that association.

The guy was scum. The only sad part is they didn't round up a few of his mates and do the same to them.

I don't know much about the guy in question, but I do know how inefficient the police are and I do know the terror of being victimised by a gang in public. Whether he brought it on himself or not is another matter, if he did then, as I said before, f*** him.

And I don't see anything wrong with drugs or prostitution, so calling someone a crack dealing pimp doesn't really make them bad in my eyes. If his mate was just selling a product (be that women or crack cocaine) that people want, and he got killed, that's wrong. He may have been of low moral fibre but I don't see anything inherently wrong in selling drugs to people who wants drugs or providing prostitutes to those who want prostitutes.

Saunders never shot anyone, he was shooting pigeons. He had a shotgun certificate, end of. It was just a public order offence, you don't kill someone it .

Er he was 'shooting pigeons' from the window of a house in Chelsea.

I said it is a natural right for a man to protect himself, not a legal one, the police can't be there every minute of every day.

So I decide to carry a big stick to protect myself. I go out, and some feckless chav carrying a knife mugs me. Bollox, some feckin use that stick was, I'll get a kife.

Next day I go out brandishing my shiny new knife, and another feckless chav mugs me with a gun. Bugger, no feckin use carryin a knife, I'd better get me a gun.

Next day I go out totin me shooter, and I get mugged by a gang of chavs, with AK47's (cos they have be tooled up on account of every tom dick wot thay want to rob is carrying knives, chains, sticks and shooters these days FFS)

What the hell do I do then ? buy a rocket launcher, or fly around in a fully armed apache helicopter for christs sake on the odd chance I need to protect myself ?

It might not escalate at the rate I suggest, but it does escalate, and its not really the solution. I might at a push agree that someone should be allowed to protect their home with firearms, but allowing people to walk the streets tooled up, sounds like a bad idea.

I'm sure hoco will disagree with me, co he's always tooled up when he goes out, and noone ever gets shot where he lives.

I've joked in the past that the way to prevent terrorism is to give everyone who gets on a plane a gun, and I still think thats not a bad idea, but I wouldnt want to roll the idea out on a wider scale.

I don't know much about the guy in question, but I do know how inefficient the police are and I do know the terror of being victimised by a gang in public. Whether he brought it on himself or not is another matter, if he did then, as I said before, f*** him.

And I don't see anything wrong with drugs or prostitution, so calling someone a crack dealing pimp doesn't really make them bad in my eyes. If his mate was just selling a product (be that women or crack cocaine) that people want, and he got killed, that's wrong. He may have been of low moral fibre but I don't see anything inherently wrong in selling drugs to people who wants drugs or providing prostitutes to those who want prostitutes.

LMAO!

'providing' prostitutes. That's a new word for it. I presume getting a young gal hooked on heroin and then pimping her out is fine, right?

I also suppose that being involved in a trade that has caused thousands upon thousands of deaths in Columbia is OK too. Funding the Taliban? No problemo.

These people are scum.

You need to buy a new pair of glasses - see if they can cure your short sightedness.

Yes, we are not allowed to state the obvious.

At least there's a movie out now that should serve somewhat as a wake up call...

Rise-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes-UK-poster-570x427.jpg

LOLZ, the thought did cross my mind. I can't wait for the film to be released, if this stuff is still going on in Tottenham I am gonna make so many comments in the darkness of the cinema comparing the two.

Why do wannabe gangstaz in this country refer to the police as the "feds"?

LMAO!

'providing' prostitutes. That's a new word for it. I presume getting a young gal hooked on heroin and then pimping her out is fine, right?

Getting her hooked on it? As in tying her down and forcing the needle into her arm? No that's not fine. However, getting a heroin-addicted employee may not be a terrible idea for them. They are exploiters, true, but that is the way the human race has always done things; you get someone dumber/weaker/more vulnerable than you to do your dirty work, it is sad but it has always gone on.

DionysusToast said:
I also suppose that being involved in a trade that has caused thousands upon thousands of deaths in Columbia is OK too. Funding the Taliban? No problemo.

It isn't really funding the Taliban, most British heroin comes from Turkey.

Again, buying some cocaine does not mean you killed anyone in Colombia, if they want to kill each then that is their business, no?

DionysusToast said:
These people are scum.

Agreed, but there is a difference between being scum and being a criminal? Most used car salesmen are scum, most police officers (at least the ones I've met) are scum etc

DionysusToast said:
You need to buy a new pair of glasses - see if they can cure your short sightedness.

:cool:

So I decide to carry a big stick to protect myself. I go out, and some feckless chav carrying a knife mugs me. Bollox, some feckin use that stick was, I'll get a kife.

Next day I go out brandishing my shiny new knife, and another feckless chav mugs me with a gun. Bugger, no feckin use carryin a knife, I'd better get me a gun.

Next day I go out totin me shooter, and I get mugged by a gang of chavs, with AK47's (cos they have be tooled up on account of every tom dick wot thay want to rob is carrying knives, chains, sticks and shooters these days FFS)

What the hell do I do then ? buy a rocket launcher, or fly around in a fully armed apache helicopter for christs sake on the odd chance I need to protect myself ?

If you so please you could do that for all I care, it wouldn't be worth my while to fly around in a fully armed apache to fend off a chav mugging, but carrying a baby Glock would be just nice. Imagine them....writhing in agony with a huge bullet hole gaping in their Fila jogging bottoms, kneecap blown to pieces,

Sadly that will never happen, our legal system is behind the criminal, not the human. So I suppose next time I get mugged I'll just take it and reaffirm my own role as a victim.

the hare said:
It might not escalate at the rate I suggest, but it does escalate, and its not really the solution. I might at a push agree that someone should be allowed to protect their home with firearms, but allowing people to walk the streets tooled up, sounds like a bad idea.

At a push? How you protect your house should be your business.

the hare said:
I'm sure hoco will disagree with me, co he's always tooled up when he goes out, and noone ever gets shot where he lives.

What does that tell you.

the hare said:
I've joked in the past that the way to prevent terrorism is to give everyone who gets on a plane a gun, and I still think thats not a bad idea, but I wouldnt want to roll the idea out on a wider scale.

Why not, muggers are not going to mug someone if there is a chance they will get shot themselves; they like an edge.

Care to explain? I expected most people on this forum to be libertarians...I'm starting to se I was mistaken in that belief.

I find it difficult to pigeon-hole myself using the standard terms (libertarian, conservative, frottage-enthusiast etc).

I am, broadly-speaking, a libertarian but at the same time I do not think that a single political philosophy, slavishly followed, can possibly adequately cope with the complexity of human existence.

So I suppose I'm a limited libertarian. I'm also the guy that just took the NQ breakout and closed about 1 pt above the low. Meaning if you look in the dictionary there's a picture of me under "F***ing AWESOME, dude".

Care to explain? I expected most people on this forum to be libertarians...I'm starting to se I was mistaken in that belief.

Hard drugs are freely available now. Just look at the results. That's not libertarianism - certainly not in the philosophy of J S Mill - one of the greatest advocates of libertarianism who took the trouble to explain his reasoning in detail. :)

I find it difficult to pigeon-hole myself using the standard terms (libertarian, conservative, frottage-enthusiast etc).

I am, broadly-speaking, a libertarian but at the same time I do not think that a single political philosophy, slavishly followed, can possibly adequately cope with the complexity of human existence.

Agreed, I'd consider myself a fiscal conservative and social liberal. Libertarianism in its extremes can become, well, restrictive; it robs you of your independent thought, as do all ideologies in massive doses.

Pazienza said:
So I suppose I'm a limited libertarian. I'm also the guy that just took the NQ breakout and closed about 1 pt above the low. Meaning if you look in the dictionary there's a picture of me under "F***ing AWESOME, dude".

(y):clap: