Timeframe Question

Re Alex Elder's triple screen approach: Don't confuse yourself with too may t/f's....Just designate 3 x t/f's for your trading per a factor of +/- x 4-5 ....So 15min/1hr/4hr for example. 4hr is your longest 'trend' t/f and for trend trading (as an example) you really need to see the lower 1hr 'intermediate' t/f trending with that too...you can for example buy/sell the pullbacks on 1hr back into the 4hr trend, using the 15min as the' trigger' for entry (or indeed wait for the 1hr to form for more confirmation.) Of course when your intermediate and trend t/f's are trending together and this trend is co-existant with t/f's above your longest ' trend ' t/f, then so much the better (probably.)

The higher the t/f's you choose the more information you have about the overall market you are trading but that does not mean to say that this can't be done on the lower t/f's, particularly on liquid instriuments.

G/L

???

You're trading the TF you're trading.

If you're going to be influenced by other TFs, look down the track at what's coming, not up the track at what's passed.

If it's going up i'm buying the smaller tf signals. Are u 'avin me on? (think there's a bit ov leg pullin goin on ere)

If it's going up i'm buying the smaller tf signals. Are u 'avin me on? (think there's a bit ov leg pullin goin on ere)
I don't think so. Not sure. No, probably not.

So, if the Daily is up, you wouldn't be selling the M15 which is currently having a bit of a plummet?

Not really a weather expert

But the starting effects that lead to a full blown hurricane would probably result in a Catrina a minority of times. Now if you were capable of isolating those few times contributing factors did lead to such an eventuality I imagine that your services would be in great demand

Doesn't that rather support Dash's sentiments?

You don't look at a hurricane hit town and decide there's a higher probability of a hurricane hitting that town.

You look at where the pressure systems are starting to indicate a potential for a hurricane to form. And its location. And its direction. And the speed it's moving.

I don’t believe it. I’ve started using weather analogies….The energy draining from my soul as I type. I don’t think I have much left or can last much longer. Eyesight growing dim…..

When chart traders enter a new market that they know nothing about the first thing that they are gonna do is go straight to the higher TFs, not the lower TFs.

Game over for this ridiculous arguement.

Well, I don't know about new markets (dunno where that came into it), but even or especially if it was a new market.

I trade my trading TF. I have no interest in other TFs.

But we're debating a matter of personal trading technique and style and I'm sure neither is wrong or right - they each both obviously work just fine the way we utilise them.

Then i'd enter on a 15min long signal.

So you're going to pass on what is happening in favour of what you expect is more likely to happen (even though it isn't) based on what had been happening on a totally distinct timeframe that you don't directly trade.

That's interesting.

Well, I don't know about new markets (dunno where that came into it), but even or especially if it was a new market.

I trade my trading TF. I have no interest in other TFs.

But we're debating a matter of personal trading technique and style and I'm sure neither is wrong or right - they each both obviously work just fine the way we utilise them.

A chart, a market, you've never seen it before, you're asked to trade it. What you are saying is that you go straight to your tf, no other, and start trading?

So you're going to pass on what is happening in favour of what you expect is more likely to happen (even though it isn't) based on what had been happening on a totally distinct timeframe that you don't directly trade.

That's interesting.

Are you asking me a trading question based on mathematics, or one that is based on buying and selling?

Are you asking me a trading question based on mathematics, or one that is based on buying and selling?
I don’t understand. I wasn’t asking a question. I was expanding your previous response.

You were saying that as the longer TF was up (in our hypothetical example) you would only take long positions in your lower trading TF if and when they presented.

I was just confirming that because of that criteria requirement, you wouldn’t take any opportunity to trade to the downside even if it were clearly presenting you with that opportunity in your trading TF.

I was highlighting what to me is a strange situation of allowing what had happened in the past to have a direct bearing on discriminating against taking an opportunity from what was actually happening in the present. You’d have to wait for your shorter trading TF to drag down the price over many days, if not weeks, in order to show the higher TF now in a down trend, before you’d consider taking a short position.

Have I got that right?

Haha. I feel you were slightly forced to say that.
No, not at all. I'm being totally honest.

Price action is price action.

It doesn't make sense to me (and it may well just be my view) to allow superordinate TFs to have any influence on my trading bias. I’ll grudgingly allow the potential utility of information percolating up from the subordinate TFs, but even then, on the few occasions I’ve used it, it hasn’t served me any better (and sometimes far worse) than working purely in my trading TF.

You’d have to wait for your shorter trading TF to drag down the price over many days, if not weeks, in order to show the higher TF now in a down trend, before you’d consider taking a short position.

Have I got that right?

Not really. Trend changes are quite evident almost immediately, even on the bigger tfs.

No, not at all. I'm being totally honest.

Price action is price action.

It doesn't make sense to me (and it may well just be my view) to allow superordinate TFs to have any influence on my trading bias. I’ll grudgingly allow the potential utility of information percolating up from the subordinate TFs, but even then, on the few occasions I’ve used it, it hasn’t served me any better (and sometimes far worse) than working purely in my trading TF.

I trade off the lowers myself, but i have to know the big numbers in order for me to succeed, or at least trade with confidence.

Good to get a different perspective from a fellow trader.

May your trades be blessed.

Here is a screenshot of earlier todays S&P 500 - yes todays !!

Looked like down to me

Attachments

• S&P_500_(a).png
    S&P_500_(a).png
    45.7 KB · Views: 197