The Trading Journey of Lurker

Ill today

Some variety of head cold. I'm never ill, so this is very frustrating.

My system would have done okay on the Dow today too - I would have just been paper trading if I were up to it. My two paper trades earlier did +5 pips.

The Dow seems to have a wider range these days - something big will happen soon. There are a lot of conflicting interests at work here.

Hopefully I'll be well enough to paper trade tomorrow.

Ponderings on Stop Loss and Risk

The Dow is a very volatile market, and Atilla has questioned the efficacy of using small stops. Perhaps I should only consider stops > 15 for each trade...

My account equity is currently 3/5 of my initial deposit and 1/3 of the highs. I think stops < 15 on the Dow are silly and will be taken out. I will set stops between 20 and 30 pips, but still respect my loss target of 30 / day.

As an example: I make +10 on a trade. I get stopped out for -20 on the next. This means I am net -10 and can make one more trade with a 20 stop. This should totally solve my overtrading.

Getting stopped out at -20 or -25 on the first trade of the day will bar me from trading later. This should improve my patience waiting for a good setup that both conforms to my new plan and has a high risk / reward. Perhaps I should look at the market for the first time around 4pm and consider a trade later in the day. I've noticed that price action is now concentrated in the later half of the day, so perhaps I should focus on a low risk trade with the potential to take at least +30 out of a major swing.

Perhaps these adjustment are in order. After all, my loss target for the day is being respected - I am just increasing the risk per trade to avoid whipsaws and having a weak position be shaken out before the market moves on.

Still ill, so will papertrade this idea when better. Will await papertrading results and comments before real trading. Meanwhile, while I'm not feeling well enough to trade, I am still reading everything I can, studying chart patterns, and growing to like Oscar's videos.

(working late again - head cold disturbing my sleep attempts)

Lurkerlurker - sorry to hear you are ill - but that's no excuse!!
I have a worry that your money management system will stop you from gaining the best chance of success in the long run i.e. if the first signal of the day leads to a duff trade that's it. Presumably there must be a way of determing the "strength" of the signals you use, to see which have a higher probability of success. If that can be achieved then both the quantum you risk and the stops can be adjusted accordingly.
Just my thoughts.

lurker,

hope you get better. I am off on holiday, and apologise I havent given you any feedback. had a rather tough day myself yesterday, taking the wrong trade, taking a loss, and missing a lot of fun, but thats the name of the game.

sorted things out and took another trade, and made up for about 70% of what i missed, so no complaints there. :D

Will give all the feedback when back. hold in there. dont break the rules and you will be fine.

all the best

j

stops & risk management

The Dow is a very volatile market, and Atilla has questioned the efficacy of using small stops. Perhaps I should only consider stops > 15 for each trade...

Perhaps these adjustment are in order. After all, my loss target for the day is being respected - I am just increasing the risk per trade to avoid whipsaws and having a weak position be shaken out before the market moves on.

Keep in mind that your system needs to be flexible enough to adopt to the ever changing market conditions. Volatility is a cyclical phenomenon. Markets go through periods of expanded volatility which are succeeded by periods of contracted volatility.

Money management is about keeping your risk about the same at all times. If you cannot put a trade on without risking more than a fixed maximum percentage of your account size then you should not take the trade. If you can only enter a trade with a stop that is larger than what you would normally risk, then the trade is probably not worth it.

You are considering stops > 15 points... A couple of months ago the daily range of the DOW was only a very small 30-40 points. So, with a stop size like that, how can you achieve a sensible risk-reward? I'm not saying large stops are necessarily a bad thing. In fact, they can be a very good thing, if you have targets that are wide enough. But trading on a 1-min time frame with stops that wide :confused: ...

Just to give you an idea my stops on the latest trades have been about 5-10 points, I want to nail the entry and if I can't get a perfect entry then I'll skip the trade. I might miss some good opportunities along the way, but at least I'll know I'll risk only 5-10 points to gain 15 to 30.

1 minute chart ????

Following recent poor performance, and failure to stick to the plan, I have revised my method for intra-day Dow trading. I hope this meets with the approval of those who liked the first strategy (and who were opposed to changes). Furthermore, I hope it encourages further discussion and feedback.

Thanks for contributing!

Instrument: Dow Jones Industrial Average, Daily Cash Spreadbet (CMC)
Period: Intra-day, during the cash market (1430 – 2100 London)

Abstract

A system for intra day Dow trading. The system is to give objective entry and exit signals, and additionally provide guidelines within which to operate. Risk control, money management, and discipline enforcement rules are also included. This system has been designed to take account of rationalisations for rule-breaking, and should therefore present additional barriers to the trader making exceptions.

Setup

Pre – Market
Before the open, familiarise yourself with key S/R levels in the last week of trading, and determine the general trend. A four hour chart, and perhaps trendlines, would be helpful here. Write these down on trading pad (always visible during trading). Familiarise yourself with any news announcements which are due, which may affect the market. In the case of economic data likely to have an effect on the market, ensure you are flat 5 minutes before data is due to be released. Ensure no distractions are likely.

During Market Hours
Do not trade the open. Positions may be taken after the market has settled down.

Fullscreen chart on left monitor. Chart to display: price as candles, EMA (100), DEMA (8, 21), MACD (default), RSI (21), CCI (150), and ADX (default). Right monitor to display blotters, client positions, order tickets, news, and prices for other related instruments (S&P, EURUSD, Crude, Dax, etc)

View a five minute chart. Establish key zones of support and resistance, and price areas where trades would have a high probability of favourable price movement. (for example strong resistance, if tested and respected)

Switch back to a one minute chart. Be aware of trend and momentum. Every five minutes, check 5 min chart. Every half hour zoom out to a 15 min chart for a broader view, but keep this timeframe as a supplemental. (keeping the method simple)

Semi-worthwhile tasks are to be positioned around the trading area to assist with boredom. A few books, juggling balls, weights, etc. Laptop to be within reach in order to read other trading literature, T2W, news sites, general leisure browsing. Perhaps some ironing or shoe polishing could be conducted in view of the screens. I have identified boredom to be an issue leading to overtrading, and also idleness give impetus to act and close trades prematurely.

Trade Criteria

Trades are to be executed according to the following guidelines. A limit of £1pp is in place, except for a pyramiding exception covered below. Maximum daily loss limit is £30, and only 12 pips may be risked on any given trade. Stop and limit orders must be set prior to a trade. Stop loss orders may only be moved closer to the market. Limit orders can move freely, but only in accordence with rules and never closer than initial target. Averaging down is not permitted. Two consecutive losses require a 30 minute break away from the trading area. Three consecutive losses require taking the rest of the day off.

Entries

Entries are to be taken as soon as a signal is confirmed. For all entries, target profit must be at least twice risk amount. Stop and limit orders are to be determined before placing the trade, according to their rules. OCO stop and limits are to be placed prior to entering the trade. Limit orders to enter are preferred, although market orders may be used where it may not be possible to be filled with a limit. In order to enter a trade, at least one condition from category A and one condition from category B must be satisfied. Additionally, if any condition from category C is satisfied, the entry signal shall be considered vetoed.

Category A (Signal)
The 8 period DEMA crosses the 21 period DEMA on a 1 minute chart.
Completion of a high probability reversal chart pattern, such as double top/bottom, head and shoulders, etc. Flags, wedges, and triangles are explicitly excluded.​

Category B (Confirmation)
Price has respected a support / resistance level.
Price has respected a strong trend line, defined as three or more contacts on a five minute chart.
Indicator divergence on the 1 minute chart, persisting for at least 15 minutes, supports the signal.​

Category C (Veto)
Prudent placing of the stop loss is further than 12 pips away from the entry price.
Target is less than double the SL distance away from price.
A conflicting signal (whipsaw) has occurred within 5 minutes.
RSI is OB/OS (>70 / <30)
CCI is OB/OS (>200 / <200)
Market appears “choppy”, and on checking ADX is < 15.
The signal is contrary to an existing trend, and price action has not showed any indication of reversal.
News is due within the foreseeable life of the trade.
The trader does not wish to trade this setup.*​

Exits

The trade will be exited on trigger of the hard stop loss order OR the trade will be exited on the trigger of the hard limit order. The stop loss may only be moved closer to the market. The stoploss is to be moved to breakeven at +10 open profit. The stoploss shall be trailed by 50%. The limit order may be moved at the discretion of the trader, but must never be moved closer to the market than the original setting. (ie, a sell limit opened at 13550 may be moved to 13560, then to 13555, but never lower than 550). The limit order shall only be moved further away with cause.

The initial limit order shall be conservative. The trader may move the limit order away from the market, and manually intervene to exit at any price better than the initial limit. Valid reasons for exiting in such a manner are:

EITHER
8/21 period DEMA crossover on 1 minute chart against the entry direction.
OR
Indicator divergence perisiting for 15 minutes on a 1 minute chart.
CONFIRMED BY
Slowing price momentum, as shown by MACD histogram.

Furthermore, an exit may be triggered by price respecting support, resistance, or strong trendline. A confirmed bullish/bearish formation on a 5 minute chart against the position is also a valid indicator to exit. No manual exit may be worse than the intial limit price. Limits should only be changed after breakeven stop is set.

A trade must be exited within 5 minutes of news releases reasonably likely to affect the market.

Pyramiding
A trade showing an open profit may be subject to the following conditions.

A stoploss of at least +12 has been applied to the initial position.
Entry has been confirmed by a DEMA cross on at least the 5 minute chart, preferably the 10.
The new profit target is at least twice total risk away.
The trend appears healthy (subjective veto of pyramid)
A hard stop can be set such that the full position will be closed at breakeven or better.
Further pyramiding may be applied subject to these conditions for each +20 the price moves in favour of the trade.​

Trader Discretion
The trader shall have discretion in the following areas
The determination of stop and target (within reason)
The veto of an entry signal
The veto of a pyramid signal
The moving of limit orders to better prices
Stopping trading early
Holding a trade in the last half hour, although this should be avoided
Taking a break at any time, providing hard stop / limit are in place​

Barriers to trading a system
Gamble entries – strictly prohibited
Premature exits due to fear or greed – prohibited due to initial limit
Overtrading – negative overtrading should be stopped by the consecutive losing trade rules
Lack of confidence in position – initial veto, thorough setup
Impatience – distractions in the trading area, ability to take breaks
Failure to properly record the plan, and failure to trade it – this must be counteracted by noting pertanent information in the trading notebook which is kept in sight.
Changing the rules on an ad-hoc basis. The rules here seem reasonable enough that they should not be changed. Plan can be altered outside of market hours only, with just cause.​

I am trying to keep this simple. However, I think it is more important to remove as much discretion as possible at this stage. The plan permits trader intervention only when flat – the plan must be recorded prior to trading and executed during the trade. Use of stops and limits allow breaks to be taken when reckless interference becomes necessary. Expectation of accountability should re-enforce rules. Rules protect trading capital, and allow profitable entries. The overtrading should be naturally corrected by the system making few trades (due to confirmations).

Does the KISS principle apply to a 1500 word plan? I hope so. Money management and risk is pretty simple. Determine stop / limit, enter on signal with confirmation, exit at limit (or at better price). Trail stops to lock in profit. No “bad trading”. Plan the trade, trade the plan.

I can understand if many of you have limited faith in my ability to execute this to the letter. I hope you can see how I have attempted to minimise the risk of breaking the plan. Please tell me of any glaring errors or omissions – I've been working on these rules for about 8 hours in total today, and it is 04:30 BST.

As ever, feedback is encouraged.

Thanks

~LL

* - I'm still the captain of the ship, despite any plans. If I do not think a trade has sufficient potential to justify the risk, or I do not like then entry signals, I can refuse them. I am open to suggestions why this may not be a good idea, but it makes sense to me. It is better to never enter a trade when unsure, rather than exit at a bad price due to lack of confidence in the setup.

If I were you I wouldn't use a 1 minute chart !!! Very tricky....If you are learning use your system on a 5 minute at a push . However,10 minute is ideal. Your indicators are going to give false signals galore on a 1 minute chart that is following every tick of the market.

It's not for me to tell you how to trade. But firewalker got it nailed down when he said you had been in more trades than all of us put together. Stick to the plan, but if I were you INCREASE the time frame.

LL, I use 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 15, 30, 60 min charts, dailt, weekly, monthly etc, I'm confident simply due to many years of experience, (bad first, then better), agree, with last poster, the 1 min chart does perhaps give to many signals, and maybe the longer timefrasme may suit your style, fwiw, I do use the 1 min chart to confirm my entries as you know, I tend move the timeframes upwards to identigy the price action/trend and take the pressure off looking at the movements on the shortest timeframe.

Your plan still doesn't look simple to me, but if your happy with it, paper trade it, if it work, STICK TO IT BUDDY, its no good having a plan, if at the first chance, you do exactly what you said you wasn't going to do.

And I find myself here again

Due to failure to take responsibility and execute according to rules.

This may sound like crying wolf, but here is the new plan

Paper. Trading. Only.

I'm become risk adverse because whilst in a trade I have zero confidence in my system. It is over complicated, takes into account too many variables, works on a whippy timeframe - in short it does not talk to my skill level.

I need to paper trade until my system has a positive expectation, ie consistent paper pips. Involving money with an unproven system was always utterly foolish. I'm not very good at backtesting, so I will paper trade going forwards until I can convince myself I can risk real money again. CMC Markets does not pay interest on credit balances, so I think my margin would be a little more comfortable getting 5% in a bank. (okay, we're talking 12p interest, but you see my point).

I'll continue to participate on these forums and post my paper trades until I am chased away with pitchforks.

Thanks again for all the advice. This isn't the end for me - I'm just going to stick to paper for a little while. That remaining risk capital is important to me...I don't want to lose it just yet.

Due to failure to take responsibility and execute according to rules.

This may sound like crying wolf, but here is the new plan

Paper. Trading. Only.

I'm become risk adverse because whilst in a trade I have zero confidence in my system. It is over complicated, takes into account too many variables, works on a whippy timeframe - in short it does not talk to my skill level.

I need to paper trade until my system has a positive expectation, ie consistent paper pips. Involving money with an unproven system was always utterly foolish. I'm not very good at backtesting, so I will paper trade going forwards until I can convince myself I can risk real money again. CMC Markets does not pay interest on credit balances, so I think my margin would be a little more comfortable getting 5% in a bank. (okay, we're talking 12p interest, but you see my point).

I'll continue to participate on these forums and post my paper trades until I am chased away with pitchforks.

Thanks again for all the advice. This isn't the end for me - I'm just going to stick to paper for a little while. That remaining risk capital is important to me...I don't want to lose it just yet.

Just my final bit on input on you devising a system. Remember what I said a few days back SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE. I find that by using a bunch of indicators unless you are like some of the more experienced guys on this board and I'm not one of those ! you are going to get so much conflicting information in the split second you have to process this info on a 1 minute timescale you are always going to get in to trouble.

I am convinced (although my skill level doesn't allow) you can make money on a 1 minute chart. However, why why why give yourself the headache. IF you are a novice keep it simple and easy. If I were you start from scratch...target 20 points a day, don't go for every move in the market, devise a simple system that WORKS and you can look at and get a definitive buy or sell signal from.

Don't count up the points you have not made by using a more simple and larger time framed system, COUNT THE ONES YOU DO. I promise you will be more satisfied.

In fact the guy from Capital Spreads has posted more than once that his most sucesful clients are those that take longer views. I am sure he has succesful short termers 1 minute charts etc. but they are few and far between, and I think their level of skill and experience surpasses ours.

A System that gives you very few signals I find is the best, because more often than not when they signal you are guaranteed points, remember when you first start you aren't looking to take 100 points a day. Start small, build your confidence. You put together a week or two where you are netting 20 points clear profit a day, your confidence will build, as will your account and you will no longer be counting what could have been.

A very good institutional trader who I look at as my mentor told me....Hindsight in this business is a wonderful thing. So many trader are coulda, woulda, shoulda merchants. If you could have done you would have done that's the bottom line. Remember what is ,IS !

Remember, when devising or adapting your new system...KEEP IT SIMPLE !and you will do well, over complicate it with this hitting here, that coming here and this going over there well......it's up to you.

Good Luck

PS....Capital spreads do a pretty good demo account. You get $10k and can test systems till your heart's content....That is where I test my systems !

I am still in pain from today, but it is fading fast. I am out of the market, my funds are being wired back to zero risk, and I am dedicated to showing results on a paper trading system. The good thing is I can paper trade until I get bored and give up - I have no restriction on it, unlike with limited risk capital. This may seem a little stubborn, but I want to be a full time futures trader more today than I did three weeks ago.

I've become Bella Wilfer

I'm more determined than ever to improve my trading, even if only on paper.

I'm becoming a bit of a slave to it. In fact, I feel almost uncomfortably like Bella Wilfer -

"...think how terrible the fascination of money is! I see this, and hate this, and dread this, and don't know but that money might make a much worse change in me. And yet I have money always in my thoughts and my desires; and the whole life I place before myself is money, money, money, and what money can make of life!" (Our Mutual Friend, Book III, Ch IV)

Markets, systems, and administrivia

It has been suggested I trade cable or crude instead of indices. I would like some opinions on whether either market would be more appropriate than the Dow/Dax for an intra day trader (who is not looking to rack up high margin requirements). The development of a system to paper trade will obviously depend to an extent on the instrument traded.

Regarding systems, while I believe the existing Dow system is a good effort, it is too complex. Furthermore, I need to rethink my timeframes, and am aiming to use 10 minute charts for intra day trading. Attempting to scalp for every tick against a wide spread with wide stops is killing my account. Comments would be appreciated.

Regarding the continuity of this thread - is too much being packed in here which should really go in separate threads in other sections? Is it easy enough to follow? Any suggestions for improvement?

Also, should I look over my very profitable days / weeks in the hope of finding commonalities?

Just my 10 cents worth !

It has been suggested I trade cable or crude instead of indices. I would like some opinions on whether either market would be more appropriate than the Dow/Dax for an intra day trader (who is not looking to rack up high margin requirements). The development of a system to paper trade will obviously depend to an extent on the instrument traded.

Regarding systems, while I believe the existing Dow system is a good effort, it is too complex. Furthermore, I need to rethink my timeframes, and am aiming to use 10 minute charts for intra day trading. Attempting to scalp for every tick against a wide spread with wide stops is killing my account. Comments would be appreciated.

Regarding the continuity of this thread - is too much being packed in here which should really go in separate threads in other sections? Is it easy enough to follow? Any suggestions for improvement?

Also, should I look over my very profitable days / weeks in the hope of finding commonalities?

Hey Tom,

If I were you I would look at a few key things.

Time Frame - In my opinion work off a 10 minute chart it gets you in to the moves you need to and keeps you out of the moves that you don't want to be in.

Something that I was taught by a very experienced trader was....It's always better to be out of the market wishing you were in...than in the market wishing you were out !

If you go back to five minute, 3 minute charts you are always going to see moves and say **** I should have been in there. But remember the aim is to make profit with as little risk as possible.

Indicators (my opinion the ones NOT to use are Stochastics, Williams, Momentum, Volatility, Directional movement. I could go on and on with this list !

When it comes to reading, I have bought every book on the market, and you know what...some were good, some less so. However, I have come back to a nice simple system using just:

Moving Averages (identifies trends)
RSI (Shows me overbought over sold market conditions)
Bollinger Bands (shows me extreme prices relative to previous price bars)
MACD (I have this set using tighter average numbers than the moving averages I am using, helps me get out rather than get in)

They are the only indicators I use. Each one shows me something different so they do not CONTRADICT each other and confuse me when I am entering a position.

MY view now is not to try and trade every tick in the market. IF I can get two currency and two oil trades out a day I am over the MOON !

In terms of setting stops. I don't go in for this setting your stop at the bottom of a range. ON oil I set a 25 point stop (including spread) no matter where the price is relative to a range

I like to think that I am getting in to a trend and my buy in price is accurate. Any moves against me, tell me that my entry point was not correct and I need to get out with as little risk as possible.

ON Oil I am targeting 50 + Points per position. Don't always get it, but by being disciplined I have not had a losing trade for a couple of weeks, and my confidence has grown.

I also trade Cable. I used to trade the indicies but found their movements were erratic. I have also read reports that the FTSE, DAX, DOW Cash markets are manipulated by SB Companies who have to hedge in the Futures market. So you are not getting a "pure" market.

I find Oil is a blinder. It trends exceptionally well offering plenty of profit.

With cable I set a 13 point stop (including spread) normally targeting 20 + Points.

I have no qualms about exiting early should my exit criteria be hit.

Hope this is of help...

Your journal is your place :) it's up to you to determine what you do with it. If you wish to go into specific details about your own system or strategy then I think this is the best way to do it. Obviously other threads can be helpful on specific subjects (like the Psychology forum or the Technical Analysis Forum).

A couple of questions:
- how does the number of wins from backtesting or papertrading relate to real trading? more or less the same or not?
- - how does the trades/day from backtesting or papertrading relate to real trading? more or less the same or not?
- how does the average daily profit/loss number from backtesting or papertrading relate to real trading? more or less the same or not?

These questions should help you answer a specific question. Am I following my plan or I am doing something else which is messing up my results. I don't know how reliable your system is, but I do get the impression you are not very confident of it. You are trying to change it or adopt it, but whilst in that phase you shouldn't be trading for real at all. The only way sensible way to enhance a system (by sensible I mean without losing money) or improve it is by backtesting, replaying previous trading days (if you have such a tool/program) and papertrading.

Your journal is your place :) it's up to you to determine what you do with it. If you wish to go into specific details about your own system or strategy then I think this is the best way to do it. Obviously other threads can be helpful on specific subjects (like the Psychology forum or the Technical Analysis Forum).

A couple of questions:
- how does the number of wins from backtesting or papertrading relate to real trading? more or less the same or not?
- - how does the trades/day from backtesting or papertrading relate to real trading? more or less the same or not?
- how does the average daily profit/loss number from backtesting or papertrading relate to real trading? more or less the same or not?

These questions should help you answer a specific question. Am I following my plan or I am doing something else which is messing up my results. I don't know how reliable your system is, but I do get the impression you are not very confident of it. You are trying to change it or adopt it, but whilst in that phase you shouldn't be trading for real at all. The only way sensible way to enhance a system (by sensible I mean without losing money) or improve it is by backtesting, replaying previous trading days (if you have such a tool/program) and papertrading.

For most of my trading I have traded without any formal system. I've spent quite a few years studying the markets, economic fundamentals, the banking industry, hedge funds, share prices, notable traders and investors (Bruce Kovner, Warren Buffet, George Soros, Benjamin Graham), etc. I realised that spreadbetting would be a good vehicle, and opened an account. Before I traded, I spent several weeks reading about technical analysis, and placed my first SB on the FTSE. Ups and downs from there, but I mainly used price action and a few indicators (RSI, stochastics, MACD) and of course S/R zones to determine when to buy and sell. My first proper loss was after I had made £180 on a £200 account in two weeks, and was a £8pp long on the FTSE. It had gone into £70 profit at one point, but I walked away and left it for ten minutes because I didn't think that was enough. Foolish mistake. I came back, and I saw an open loss of over £100. Shocked, I went through to the laptop in the other room, and saw the loss heading for £270 and my stoploss. I was stopped out, and entered a long thinking "It cant go lower". Wrong. I lost another £60. I've never quite recovered, but I think every subsequent loss has been just a little easier.

Not meaning to go into another rant here, but basically I traded with loose TA and money management, mostly on intuition. More recently, I have been attempting to formalise a system with more thorough TA and money management.

I don't have a large record of paper trading to compare with, but I will compare the paper trading record I am soon to generate.

lurker,

I want to be blunt but to be honest.

Take a break. 1 week. honest. get it out of your system. no paper trades, no posting, no nothing, just soul searching. if you dont, you wont succeed. simple really.

j

LL,

I get the feeling you are too tight with money. Not saying you are stingy or anything but you need to have a little bit money and excellent money management system + DISCIPLINE. However, you've got the have some money and be a little riskay with it.

I wouldn't go into a trade and then take 1 pip or 5 pip profits. (Unless it's FX 1min trades I know some people do it). In this game especially if you are a starter learning the ropes. That is bad strategy imo. You give 5 pips to your broker and take 1 pip and sweat for your self. Doesn't add up.

Here is a potential money management program for you - ( Just an idea )

Put £1K in there for starters. This should be money you lose. Consider it history. Why have you taken your £240 out of CMC. Is it 5% interest on 240 really worth the fuss. This tells me a lot about your psychology and whilst it's good to value money - on my approach given you want to trade it's very tight. Too tight.

When you go into battle you must first prepare your self to die. Then you truly start living. You can't expect to hunt and not be hunted. It's all about pscyhology. You want to win a lot but not lose at all. Don't mean to sound arrogant but that's purely me and my approach. Fear of losing money will hold you back from making it. Also the thought of having lost it will wreck you for future trades if you are chasing what's no longer yours etc etc. It discolours judgement.

Anyhow,

Risk 2% - 20pt limits should give you 50 plays on your £1000. ( I think 10 pts is too small and 30 pts for your capital may be too much - but it's your call. 20pts is just my rec)

This means at two bets a day should give you 1 months capital assuming you don't make any money and all your trades are losses. I must confess most people take years of trying and learning and hence you can understand people losing £000s of pounds at say £1000 p/month pop.

You must know what is the cost of your actions before you commit your self.

Expect and be ready for worst possible outcome. In one months time you will have lost £1000 on these risk margin of 2%. Once you come to terms with that you can start to trade.

I'm assuming if 50% of your calls are right you should make some pips. Remember markets can go up or down. Two choices. If you don't stick to your plan ( as we all don't sometimes ) market moves sideways and you get whipsawed well you'll be out quicker than a month. I'd guess you should have 2 months training to get up to speed.

This was a setup sent to me by t2w blogger 'CYOF'. Really great helpful guy. It's called system expectancy. On a spread sheet put all your trades - losses - wins and amount etc.

ie Average Win / Loss / Number of trades.

AW = 10.79
AL = -5.14
W% = 51%
L% = 49%
T = 400.00

Expectancy= 232.24

This will tell you how much your average loss and wins are as well as number of trades.

Everyday end of day update these. You can see immediately if your Wins are > Losses.

Obviously if these stats aren't going in the right direction you need to address your system or actions - as you are doing. But you must know this informtion.

You'll have a weekly factual report on your trading.

1 You need to ensure AW rise.
2 ALosses fall.
3. Your Win / Lose % ratio moves positive.

There are people out there who win 30 - 40 calls and lose 70 - 60 % of their bets and still win over all because they let their winners run and cut their losses early. ( I'm still trying to master this one ).

Finally, I feel guilty in that when too many people give you too much advice and perhaps some conflicting or contradcitory you may get over loaded. At the end of the day do what you think is right for you. What works. What yyou feel happy doing.

Good luck and best wishes.

There are only five possible outcomes in trading.

1) Big Losses
2) Big Wins
3) Small Losses
4) Smll Wins
5) Breaking Even

Stay away from the first one and the rest will take very good care of you and your capital.

cheers

lurker,

I want to be blunt but to be honest.

Take a break. 1 week. honest. get it out of your system. no paper trades, no posting, no nothing, just soul searching. if you dont, you wont succeed. simple really.

j

jacinto, while I appreciate your comment, there is more chance of me taking your advice if you explain your reasoning a bit more. Get what exactly out of my system? No posting? Have I offended anyone?

Are you just suggesting I ignore everything trading related for a week? Why a week? I have nothing better to do during that time than learn more about trading.

I am interested in your proposition, but am not sure what is in it for me.