My Tailored Trading Journey

Do you mind if I ask are you consistently profitable?

Do you place a few trades a day or just a few a week?

My IPO strategy is a pure swing strategy based on IPOs in the last 2 months. I keep my stops quite tight (5%) as it is a pure momentum play whereas my 52 week strategy allows me up to 10% of a loss or below a key support line.

I need to put in a lot of work to try and short, September is usually a good month for this so may have a look once silly season kicks in and have a bit of time to research. I think it will be revert around looking at the releases at 7am and/or with a 52 week breakdown.

My SL was hit on Somero and Blue Prism over the last few days, Somero went a bit below support and stopped, but gapped down for about 15 mins and hit my stop below support. Oh well, its done now and not a big loss.

How would you call a swing on the downside?

I was consistently profitable since I started trend-following forex, but those trades have tapered off to none since the major pairs started chopping about, so I've gone back to FTSE350 stocks, mostly also trend-following them but with an eye out for reversals. Profitable here so far.

To nominate a swing high, I follow Marc Rivalland and look for at least three daily bars with successively higher daily highs and lows than the preceding day. If the next day has a lower high and lower low, the third bar marks a potential swing high. If price has been in a downtrend and the previous swing high was higher, that's grounds for a short, with a stop just above the high of the swing high.

e.g. EUR/USD - obvious swing high 03/05. In an obvious uptrend, with successively higher swing highs. 04, 05, 09 and 10/05 made bars with lower highs and lower lows, today made a higher high and higher low, so yesterday is potential swing low, so grounds for going long this evening with a stop just below yesterday's low. You can reverse this for downtrends (though some other bear signals are not just the inverse of a bull signal).