The Trading Journey of Lurker

YM Paper Trading Results

Being "in tune" is something that can happen from time to time. But as you've found out for yourself being "not in tune" will cause you much more pain (emotionally and financially) than being in tune. So why not stick to "the" (or "a") plan and forget about trying to understand let alone act on instinct.

Also, you started to make daily analysis, but you quit after 3?
"YM Paper Trading, 14 June 2007"
"YM Paper Trading, 21 June 2007"
"YM Paper Trading, 27 June 2007"
is all I can find of?

Unless you make 20 consecutive posts from 20 consecutive days where you followed your plan to the letter, you will keep on going round without making progress.

Sorry to be blunt, but there's really no other way of putting it.

I will challenge you to do the following exercise: papertrade the YM for 2 weeks. 2 week onlys, by using the very simple rules below. Make daily stats of your win%, net points profit, etc as you did before. This isn't about the system, this is about you and the discipline.

Rules

1) Before the day opens review the previous day and note lowest price of the previous day (=PDL) and the highest price of the previous day (=PDH)
2) In case price opens above the PDH (so not inside yesterday's range), then put in:
- a BUY limit order at the PDH
3) In case price opens below the PDL (so not inside yesterday's range), then put in:
- a SELL limit order at the lowest price of the previous day (PDH)
4) In case price opens within yesterday's range, then put in:
- a BUY limit order at the lowest price of the previous day (PDL) and
-a SELL limit order at the highest price of the previous day (PDH)

Your stop is 20 points, your target 40.
This is very basic, very easy, and you don't need to watch the screen during the day, only at the open. At the EOD you'll see if you made profit or not. No stress, no thinking, no second-guessing. Very straightforward, very easy.

I just made up this system and backtested it on the last two weeks and unless I've made an error on this nightly hour I've counted 4 profitable and 8 losing trades. Not deducting commissions that would mean 4 x 40 - 8 x 20 = 0 points. Basically no profit. But that's still better than what you are doing now, which is losing money, right?
Even with commissions from 12 trades in 2 weeks time you still would only be down about 50 USD.

I hope you get my point.

Thanks to firewalkers great post above, I've done some paper trading over the last few weeks. I'm posting results from Monday 9 July 2007 going forward on the YM in a spreadsheet.

The system does have positive expectancy, but needs some work. I am happy to keep paper trading it going forward as these results cover an unusual period of activity in the Dow. This system works better when the Dow is range bound, and does not do well on +/- 200 pip trend days if it misses the entry. Even if it gets the entry, conservative profits are taken. I have worked in three stoploss policies in the example - target of 60 pips with BE at +20 and +20 at +40 works better than either 40 pip target, whether straight -20/40 stop/limit or BE at +20. Again, I will need to test this over different market phases, and use filters for the system, perhaps the previous days range or something.

Anyway, spreadsheets follow as ODS format (OpenOffice), XLS format (MS Excel), SYLK (Open Standard), and HTML (for browser viewing only). Comments greatly appreciated.

Firewalker - thanks for setting me this challenge. As you may have noticed, my P&L has improved dramatically, and I am slightly more confident about holding positions (although discipline is still an issue).

* - Sorry, it won't take these formats. Looks like HTML for viewing and XLS for editing. I did this in Oo_Org, so other OpenOffice users should be able to convert the file back in I hope. Let me know if there are any problems.

Attachments

• ym-trades.xls
    100 KB · Views: 270
  • ym-trades.html
    25.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Light Reading

I've had a good week, so I've decided to buy some trading books which should arrive in time for some light weekend reading next week (or at least by the week after).

Some of you may wish to read these, or maybe some of you have these and would like to comment on them:

"If It's Raining in Brazil, Buy Starbucks: The Investor's Guide to Profiting from Market-moving Events"

Peter Navarro; Paperback

"The New Money Management: A Framework for Asset Allocation (Wiley Finance Editions)"

Ralph Vince; Hardcover;

"The Mathematics of Money Management: Risk Analysis Techniques for Traders (A Wiley Finance Edition)"

Ralph Vince; Hardcover

"Mastering the Trade: Proven Techniques for Profiting from Intraday and Swing Trading Setups (McGraw-Hill Trader's Edge)"

John Carter; Hardcover

I've had a good week, so I've decided to buy some trading books which should arrive in time for some light weekend reading next week (or at least by the week after).

Some of you may wish to read these, or maybe some of you have these and would like to comment on them:

"If It's Raining in Brazil, Buy Starbucks: The Investor's Guide to Profiting from Market-moving Events"

Peter Navarro; Paperback

"The New Money Management: A Framework for Asset Allocation (Wiley Finance Editions)"

Ralph Vince; Hardcover;

"The Mathematics of Money Management: Risk Analysis Techniques for Traders (A Wiley Finance Edition)"

Ralph Vince; Hardcover

"Mastering the Trade: Proven Techniques for Profiting from Intraday and Swing Trading Setups (McGraw-Hill Trader's Edge)"

John Carter; Hardcover

That first one sounds interesting... i'll be listening to see what you make of it :)

That first one sounds interesting... i'll be listening to see what you make of it :)

Cheers Kevin - I'll post my thoughts in a few weeks when it arrives and I have time to read it. I trust your trading is progressing nicely - have you given more thought to a journal?

yeah i'm gonna set one up soon as i'm trying out new styles to fit around my masters when i go back to uni in september, plus i can't be arsed sat for 16hrs a day and having to have a work relationship with my old man. Also want to do a bit of traveling before the end of september and spend some of the money i've made on booze birds and drugs in the sun lol....

My Equity Curve

I've just gone and made a spreadsheet of performance stats for my last 2 months trading, win ratios, P&L, etc. I thought it may be of interest to produce an equity curve. I've not gone over my old accounts with TradIndex and CMC in quite a while, but I know how much I lost to them, so the balance starts of negative. I'll do one for End of Week for the whole year when I get around to it, most likely later today.

So far, I've normalised the profits I have made in the last few weeks to reflect the smaller stake size I usually trade at, which was about the same size I was trading during the drawdown. I like the results. The chart starts with an estimated 140 days of trading, and a drawdown of close to 1800 pips.

(I've just knocked this up on an Oo_Org spreadsheet this morning, so forgive me if it looks a little basic).

Oh, and I've just noticed that the rally in my equity corresponds almost exactly to the fall in the Dow. Make of that what you will, but it concerns me. Is my P&L inversely correlated to the Dow? (well, it would be if I only took the short side, but I'm getting a little silly here).

Attachments

• curve.png
    curve.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 236
Intermission

I've hit a wall. Hard. Now for the good news: I've had five profitable weeks, and am now in profit overall since I started! If I keep trading now, I'll give it back. The profits which have accrued have been due to a combination of a bearish leaning, a bearish leaning, and a bearish leaning. (okay, so there was also some skill involved, I took longs as well, I learned about short term trading the Dow, reading supply and demand in the order book, etc) I've learned a lot - including that when conditions line up, I can actually profit from making very quick momentum trades in the Dow when the order book tells me to through spreadbetting! (of course, if I actually wanted this as my main trading style, I'd need direct access)

Unfortunately, I've also lost my way somewhat. There are many things I need to re-learn before I can launch myself back in to this. I have received some very good advice. I am going to re-read my journal, familiarise myself with the progress I have made and the lessons I should have learned.

I'll be back soon, hopefully with the following:

A list of markets I am intending to trade. (I'm interested in currencies, equities, bonds, and a few commodities - looking to move away from stock index futures)
The timeframes I intend to trade in. (I'll still be spreadbetting, and it is no longer desirable to spend 7am-9pm trading, with at least one hour prep and review either side)
A plan to trade each market I am looking to trade, to include entries and exits.
A new money management strategy to make the most of the funds I have designated as trading capital while keeping me in the game as long as possible.
Some rudimentary backtesting, and perhaps even some paper trading results.

I'm going to see if the Turtle Trading System (which is now freely available) can be adapted to spreadbetting with a small account. I understand that this system is entirely mechanical. For currencies, I am looking to develop a system using 4h and daily charts, although this may involve quite a bit of risk (larger stops). As much as I have enjoyed index future trading, I don't see too much of it in my future (no pun intended).

If I can work out a decent, objective, and mostly mechanical Dow system I may decide to trade that. Otherwise, on to other things. I am quite busy at the moment, but as I will not be spending time executing trades I should have the time to spare to do this.

More will follow shortly. I've had quite a good month, and I think it is in order to take a break at this juncture!

CBOT Mini Dow Future – Opening Gap Strategy

This is what I have so far. Not my idea obviously, but I cannot find a fully comprehensive web source for this. I have taken various ideas, and am working on backtesting them right now. There are several ways of trying to determine whether a gap will be filled or not. However, I am having some difficulties with timeframes etc. I am going to do some more thinking and testing, but here is what I have so far.

Also, here are the sources I have used just in case anyone would like to check that my current interpretations are correct.

http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/cont_detail/0,3206,928+14719,00.html
http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/articles/general_articles/trading-opening-gap/page1

Any further guidance would also be appreciated. I am going to tighten this up tomorrow, and backtest into Monday. The system does not trade following options expiry, a holiday, or a weekend for the time being, so the first signal can be given at 14:30 London time Tuesday if I have done it by then.

The degree of my backtesting will dictate whether I paper trade it or SB it at £1pp. I am trying to develop a system which is backtested, consistent, mechanical, and creates a maximum of 4 signals per week. This should help with my trading issues.

Thoughts?

CBOT Mini Dow Future – Opening Gap Strategy

Hypothesis

A statistically reliable number of gaps close within the intraday cash market session. This could form the basis of a partially mechanical gap fading strategy.

Definitions

Cash session: 14:30-21:00 London time. (open-close) Nothing to do with cash prices.
Gap: Futures price at 14:30 being greater or less than previous day at 21:00
Common gap: gap which is likely to close within the cash session
Breakaway gap: continuation gap which causes further movement in that direction
Range: High – Low (during the cash session)

Requirements

A mechanical system for defining the type of gap, along with a backtest of fading such gap to show the probabilities and risk / reward of fading the gap. When a valid gap is defined, the system should state the risk reward, stoploss placement, and trade direction. Discretion can be used for the entry providing that the risk / reward is not violated.

Factors

Gap size – large gaps are more likely to be continued than filled
Support resistance levels, including premarket (21:00-14:30) Low and High, previous cash session high, previous cash session low
Strength of premarket activity – do not fade gaps when premarket volume is high, or when large orders may have accumulated.
Major news, economic numbers, fundamental factors which may affect the validity of a suspected common gap

Specifics
A large gap is > 40% of previous days range
High premarket volume is > 120% of the average premarket volume for the previous 5 premarket sessions
Large orders accumulate before the opening on Monday, and after Holidays
No trades should be placed following a premarket number, or other major announcement (gov intervention, war, etc)

Setup

1.Check the trading day is not a Monday, or a day following a holiday
2.Check there are no numbers due before the open, or within the first hour of trading
3.Check there have been no major news releases within the last 24h
4.Check premarket volume – is it unusually high? If so, no trade
5.Make a note of premarket high and low print, and the previous cash session highs and lows.
6.Determine key S/R levels for the last trading week, including high and low of week
7.Before the open, determine the gap size. Is this a large or small gap? (percentage of previous days range)
8.When the market opens, did it gap up or down? Is this a buy or a sell signal?
9.Is there confirmation? Wait for an up (down) gap to stop making highs (lows), look for relative highs lows. Check tick – it should be above -300 and below 300 for gaps down and up respectively. If not, continuation likely.
10.Where would the entry be? What is the reward (target is previous days close)? What is the risk (where is the best place for a stop)? Is the risk:reward consistent with the average win/loss and win %? If so, enter.

Further suggestions

Research validity of the NYSE $TICK for confirming gaps
Consider better entry criteria – what timeframe for the relative lows / highs. Enter when price breaches the open in the opposite direction?
Where is the best place for a stop? Mechanically, or based on S/R? Percentage of range, or fixed amount?

no make sense, me thinks u are all over the place still.

sorry, harsh words, but think honest words.

This is what I have so far. Not my idea obviously, but I cannot find a fully comprehensive web source for this. I have taken various ideas, and am working on backtesting them right now. There are several ways of trying to determine whether a gap will be filled or not. However, I am having some difficulties with timeframes etc. I am going to do some more thinking and testing, but here is what I have so far.

Analzying gaps is an interesting thing and can lead to a potentially profitable strategy, so good luck. It's not easy though, the gap can look like a breakaway gap only for minutes later to reverse and fill it anyway. I've attached a chart of what happened on Thursday on the FTSE. You might find it interesting: a nice gap fill, but not after price spurted 50 points higher first. This thread is about DOW so I'll just keep it to this post before heading off-topic

The following article might also interest you:

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/articles/general_articles/types-of-gaps/

Good testing!

Attachments

• z20070823a.JPG
    z20070823a.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 195

Although I wouldn't put it that blunt, you do have a point there. It is yet another path lurker has chosen to follow. But each one must find what suits him best. Lurker, I just hope you stick to something for a change and either commit fully to testing & papertrading it. You can't expect to come up with a system and test it over the weekend and have it online by the next week. Serious (manual) testing takes a lot more time and preferable requires you to replay the day.

Your post, although you've cleary put time & effort in it, is still very rudimentary and I think very hard to backtest. You have not cleary defined an entry/stop/exit. You are writing words like "continuation is likely". This still leaves room for emotion and decision making "on-the-spot" which is actually what you need to remove from your trading.

What you need to have is black on white a rulebook for entering/exiting a trade. It should also cover each market situation. What if you short the open immediately when price opens say 100 points higher. Are you going to wait until it hits the previous day's close to take profits? Are you going to change your stop in the meantime? Are you going to exit your whole position at once? What if another signal occurs in the meantime that indicates something contrary to your current position?

Take "8.When the market opens, did it gap up or down? Is this a buy or a sell signal?"... if you are planning to decide in realtime a lot of other factors will make the decision making process biased and you'll react emotionally.

Your setup questions are okay, but they are basically part of a hypothesis that needs to be tested, so I wouldn't call it a "setup" an sich as you have not defined any rules. A setup should look like (very basic example) the rules from the example system I gave you. Exact, concrete and unambiguous rules that somebody who knows next to nothing about trading can follow without hesitating or second-guessing. That's what you need to focus on.

Last edited:
i thought you were taking some time off anyway?

Hi there, another one who couldn't get to bed :p

I suspect you are directing this at lurker, but just in case you were directing it at me I'll be on holiday beginning of September so you won't see me hanging around here much. I just thought I'd give lurker another round of encouragement, although I am convinced he could have made a lot more progress if he just stuck to one idea or system and try and adopt that to his needs...

Remember what Henry Jones said to his son after finally finding what he was looking for, having pursued it for whole of his life? ;)

I'm going to bed shortly, so just a few comments - I'll respond in more detail later.

This system is the basis for a new system - it is what I am looking into about gaps. It is nowhere near tradeable - there are no rigid rules because I am yet to backtest for stop placement, entries, exits, etc.

Regarding jumping about. I haven't found anything that works yet. Firewalker gave me a system which did little better than breakeven when you included slippage and commissions - depending, it was between a small profit, BE, and a loss. I wasn't able to tweak it to be profitable.

It is just thinking out loud at this stage - I didn't even imply it was finished just yet.

Jacinto - yes, I am still all over the place. I will be all over the place until I find a consistently profitable system which I have the discipline to consistently apply. Isn't that true of any trader?

firewalker99 - I paper traded your system like you suggested, and the process was useful, but I couldn't get the results to trade it live. Sorry. Is trying to develop a new system which does work a dead end? Should I just start buying black boxes, or should I do my own research and try and find a strategy I can use?

I'm beginning to think that the only way I will be able to learn this is by "sitting next to Nellie" - and there are precious few opportunities to study under a trader, much less one who can teach...

I am worried I am frustrating some here. I am currently trying to find or develop a trading system I can use, backtest, paper trade, and go live. What part of that is wrong? Where am I making mistakes with that. As long as I am not live trading without a proper plan, surely study is good? I choose to post my progress here, as that is the point of a journal...

More later I guess. Jacinto, could you clarify your post? What am I not doing that I should be, and what am I doing that I should not? firewalker? Kevin?

I'm going to bed shortly, so just a few comments - I'll respond in more detail later.

This system is the basis for a new system - it is what I am looking into about gaps. It is nowhere near tradeable - there are no rigid rules because I am yet to backtest for stop placement, entries, exits, etc.

Regarding jumping about. I haven't found anything that works yet. Firewalker gave me a system which did little better than breakeven when you included slippage and commissions - depending, it was between a small profit, BE, and a loss. I wasn't able to tweak it to be profitable.

It is just thinking out loud at this stage - I didn't even imply it was finished just yet.

Jacinto - yes, I am still all over the place. I will be all over the place until I find a consistently profitable system which I have the discipline to consistently apply. Isn't that true of any trader?

firewalker99 - I paper traded your system like you suggested, and the process was useful, but I couldn't get the results to trade it live. Sorry. Is trying to develop a new system which does work a dead end? Should I just start buying black boxes, or should I do my own research and try and find a strategy I can use?

I'm beginning to think that the only way I will be able to learn this is by "sitting next to Nellie" - and there are precious few opportunities to study under a trader, much less one who can teach...

I am worried I am frustrating some here. I am currently trying to find or develop a trading system I can use, backtest, paper trade, and go live. What part of that is wrong? Where am I making mistakes with that. As long as I am not live trading without a proper plan, surely study is good? I choose to post my progress here, as that is the point of a journal...

More later I guess. Jacinto, could you clarify your post? What am I not doing that I should be, and what am I doing that I should not? firewalker? Kevin?

The succession of your posts sometimes feels like a stream of consciousness :)

Only you know if what you are doing is what you should be doing, no one can tell for you. If creating something for yourself is what you want to do and you are in no rush than you are under no obligation to anybody to do it otherwise. But if you are sincere in wanting to build something for yourself, than asking people around if they are willing to share their complete system with you, well... let's say that's not very inspiring. I did share great parts of my system with you though (although you probably didn't realize it).

You were free to adopt & change the system I offered you to all means. If you don't feel comfortable are were unable to make it work for you than that's fine. If you feel that it's like chewing on somebody else's gum than that's perfectly understandable. However, as you have been questioning people for their system you do give the impression that you are unwilling to do the work... I gave you several clues on what to do to adopt this system to a profitable one, but you just can't expect people to offer you everything on a plate.

I doubt you are frustrating anybody else other than yourself. Some of your recent posts definitely indicate some frustration at the lack of progress. However you've had periods that you were profitable, so I do not understand why you don't focus on those periods, analyze them: what did you do then that worked and what did you do at the other times where you were losing? There will always be losing periods & losing streaks but you don't seem willing to endure them. You have yet to give a system the time to proof itself.

No one said you had to go out and buy blackboxes. But there are several good systems around trade2win (or at least the foundations of them) and there are several very classic well-known (publicly available) patterns that you can trade (for instance cup & handle, triangle, head & shoulders). You'll probably say that these are all pretty vague and don't work necessarily. And yet again that's only because you have to adopt them to (a) the market you wish to trade;(b) the timeframe you like to trade; (c) the style that suits your personality (frequency of trading for instance) and (d) the risk you are willing to take.

Once again, it all comes down to you.

There is no way you can trade a system that gives you four signals a week. Just purely my opinion. I may well be wrong. I thought this was something you acknowledged when you said you would move away from intra-day trading. Still you are making multiple trades in a day. You said you were position trading and you reverted back to intra-day trading.

You have to determine what is consistent trading system as to what is consistent. All systems give false or losing signals sometimes.

I think wasps, dinos, firewalkers and jacinto all have working profitable systems. I will not mention my preferred MAs and BB breakouts. I know from experience, I lose when I don't follow my own system. I win when I do.

I reckon it's not the systems but individual applying that system.

Your last post shows how you are thinking and it has me mystified I'm afraid. :eek: :confused: :?: You are well off target imo. :eek:

Got to say it, cause it's what I'm thinking.

lurker,

you asked me to clarify this post. the first sentence should be clear and easy to understand, but i will expand with a basic and crude example to get the point across.

the mating game:
10 females and 10 males are at a pub. they were driven there by their mating instincts. the males eye the females, and start chatting them up. 9 males have focused only on 1 female each and only one. the remainding male is trying to chat all the 10 females.

1 hour after, each of the 9 females chatted up by the focused 9 males have focused only on their corresponding male.

the remaining female sees the lack of interest of the remaining male, and leaves the pub. the remaining male doesnt realise he will not mate because lack of focus.

how many methods have you described in this journal?
how many of them have you backtested and where profitable?
of the profitable backtested methods, how many did you actually try?
of the ones you tried, how many turned out not to be profitable?
was lack of profitability due to "bad method" or because you didnt follow rules?

dunno if i get the point across?

good weekend

lurker,
how many methods have you described in this journal?
Four
how many of them have you backtested and where profitable?
One
of the profitable backtested methods, how many did you actually try?
One
of the ones you tried, how many turned out not to be profitable?
One
was lack of profitability due to "bad method" or because you didnt follow rules?
Partly bad method, and I was unsure of how to apply the method with regard to taking entry signals. Also, the method didn't sit well with me, and I realised I probably couldn't trade it properly. I decided to look for something I could use. (note to firewalker - not your system, your system did fit well with me, but it wasn't actually profitable)

What else can I do? I don't have a system that works. Therefore I need to find and implement a system that works. How many of you managed to get a system right the first try? I am trying not to jump about here.

My last few profitable weeks were consistently applying an ad-hoc system I developed based on reading the order book. I have decided for my own reasons, and due to most of the suggestions here, that I need a more rigid method which generates unambiguous entry signals. Therefore I cannot continue with this discretionary system.

I am now without a system. My posts in the last few days have revolved around my attempt to adopt a system, backtest it, paper trade it, and implement it. How is this jumping around when I do not have a system yet? I appreciate I have tried a few flavours so far, but nothing has worked yet.

Are we not in agreement that:

1. I wish to trade
  2. Before I can trade, I must have a system
  3. A good system must generate objective and clear signals
  4. A good system must be shown to have positive expectancy
  5. I currently have no such system
  6. Ergo, I cannot trade until I adopt/develop and implement one

Firewalker - I now begin the task of reviewing our correspondences, both PM and posts, to find out what the heck I missed in making that system profitable. I am under the impression that the system you showed me forms the basis for at least part of your strategy, and I was able to extract a large number of good trades from it. As for improving it - I think you must have developed a way to filter losing trades to get positive expectancy - how you do this is for me to figure out. As I review our correspondence, I would think that it would be wise to do some work on the range of the market, and the volume. This should assist in confirming the mechanical entry, or vetoing a trade. I'll work on further backtesting this meanwhile. This will be in addition to my gap strategy work.

This may seem like jumping around, but can we hold off accusing me of that until I

1) Declare that I am to trade a full system, post specifics, and THEN
2) Do something else

I have done that in the past, and may do in the future, but for now I am focusing on devising and implementing a strategy, and executing that strategy. Thanks for reading.

Hi Lurker,

there's some very nice weather out there. Pembrokeshire coast. So beautiful. Lots of B&B's, nice pubs. Isle of Wight is lovely too. There's dozens. We are so spoilt here. Be winter before you know it.

tune

Hi Lurker,

there's some very nice weather out there. Pembrokeshire coast. So beautiful. Lots of B&B's, nice pubs. Isle of Wight is lovely too. There's dozens. We are so spoilt here. Be winter before you know it.

tune

Good point - and it is a holiday today over here, so futures traders will be taking some time off - including some of the US lot. I almost bought a ticket to George Town the other week, just before news of the hurricane came out. Perhaps I should think of a break somewhere else. Jersey will be lovely at this time of year...

Pembrokeshire - I've just seen this, so I am quite interested.

Thanks tune!