The Next US President

Yes and no. Coal is harvested in West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Montana and Wyoming. There are other places, but the majority comes from here.

Coal is only mined in rural areas. There are few industries that exist other than coal where mining is done. If they lose jobs mining coal, towns die off and poverty and unemployment go up.

Statistically speaking, the jobs lost from coal will be replaced by natural gas.
But the guy who gets a job in NG won't be the same guy who lost his, mining coal.

An unemployed coal miner is not likely to leave his family and home town to get a job in natural gas a thousand miles away.

I know coal is dirty. But if the government is going to legislate a man's job out of existence they should replace it with something else. Instead of outlawing coal, it would be better to just end the introduction of new coal plants.

The demand for coal decreases every year in the U.S. Eventually, the demand will be zero. It might take 20 or 30 years but it won't be as traumatic.

Solar energy gets cheaper every year and so do energy storage units. One day they will figure out fusion energy. Then, every home will be energy independent.

I happen to work in the energy sector. I've spent 30 yrs travelling to and from these sites inc the process of mothballing or closing them down completely. Which is why I said "adapt or die". The fact is, that if people want the big bux, then they have to travel for work. Our miners who wanted to continue earning the big bux did just that. A spot of re-training and a lot of them went offshore on the rigs. The Ones who thought govt should provide them with a replacement job in their home town were left behind.

What can I say !

Yes and no. Coal is harvested in West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Montana and Wyoming. There are other places, but the majority comes from here.

Coal is only mined in rural areas. There are few industries that exist other than coal where mining is done. If they lose jobs mining coal, towns die off and poverty and unemployment go up.

Statistically speaking, the jobs lost from coal will be replaced by natural gas.
But the guy who gets a job in NG won't be the same guy who lost his, mining coal.

An unemployed coal miner is not likely to leave his family and home town to get a job in natural gas a thousand miles away.

I know coal is dirty. But if the government is going to legislate a man's job out of existence they should replace it with something else. Instead of outlawing coal, it would be better to just end the introduction of new coal plants.

The demand for coal decreases every year in the U.S. Eventually, the demand will be zero. It might take 20 or 30 years but it won't be as traumatic.

Solar energy gets cheaper every year and so do energy storage units. One day they will figure out fusion energy. Then, every home will be energy independent.

Hi TRF,

Agree with you here partially and with experience of the same in the UK sadly there are lots of different view points and perspective depending on where each is coming from.

Basically, this is called structural change where one industry dies and another is created. Some call it Crreative Destruction. ie. Death of coal and birth of green energy.

Then there is employment v unemployment. Moving between jobs maybe termed frictional unemployment (temporary in nature) and structural unemp., long term etc. You get the picture.

Sadly it's not the governments responsibility to crreate jobs. Big G can only facilitate. Politicians with interest of the nation at heart they need to consider plan and ease the transformation process.

Mrs Thatcher and pure capitalists will just effup the industry, close down and faff-off elsewhere hoping humans can be intelligent enough to move and adopt. As you say this doesn't happen.

Government planners should consider these events years ahead and wind down and wind up investment in infrastructure to support the transformation. This can be done by taxation and investment grants to entrepreneurs who may take on lets say building green energy facility in these areas.

However, the odds of success is limited and depends on how efficient and good the private and public and government operates. People can and will need to be trained. It's a long road.

If you leave it to the likes of the free market and pure capitalists that transformation process will be much longer, more painful and deeper than it need be.

Building roads and railways and airports is good but real industry and the creative process needs more thought.

Good luck you guys going to need it imho. (y)

So, somehow, all of this is the fault of the Democrats (even though it all took place before Obama even took office):

The angry white man next door: Hearing out a Trump voter

The only surprise is that so many people seem surprised.

Same reaction over here with Brexit. People have not had an outlet for 40 years until someone came along to tell it like it is. PC went out the window with Farage and the US has gone One step further and elected Trump.

A lot of it is not about policy, it's more about giving the establishment the damm good kicking they deserve.

Or what they think it is, which is not like it is at all.

It's their perception that matters, they know that the establishment has been double dealing them for years.

2016 will go down as the western people's revolution. This ain't even started. Just waiting for Europe to join in.

It's their perception that matters, they know that the establishment has been double dealing them for years.

2016 will go down as the western people's revolution. This ain't even started. Just waiting for Europe to join in.

You misunderstand. Republicans have elevated deflection to an art form. They have managed to convince their base that the problem is anything other than the true problem: plutocrats and oligarchs. Until the base's perception aligns with reality, the status quo will be perpetuated. I suspect the same situation applies to England, France, Germany et al, but I don't know enough about it to offer an opinion (which is why I haven't posted anything substantial to any of the Brexit threads).

The Economist is a British Magazine. They recently published their new cover for December. For the last several years it has been full of cryptic messages.

You are British. What do Brits think of the cover .....absolutely nothing ?

---------

A. As I tune in, I see a lot going on. I get that the Powers That Were (PTW) were very surprised by recent political outcomes and they are working on "damage control." I get an image of them trying to change the timeline or influence (the collective conscious) to create a new sequence of events by outlaying this "tarot" reading as a combination of what see happening and what they want to happen for different reasons. There is a huge divide in the country and the PTW intend to keep it that way in hopes of full control going back to them.

[I will break this down by card. There is so much, I welcome comments to add other perspectives.]

The Tower: The main thing I see is a continuing division of people. I see the tower as representing society, and the split in the tower being the divide. The focus of division in 2017 looks to be both cultural and religious based. This division is being fueled by an outside force (the lightening) that hides in the shadows, but people that are becoming more aware know the root of it all. I see the "V" standing out as a sign of "5 events" tied to this as well (Somehow feels like a warning, but not to the people It looks directed to the "unapproved" people of the PTW that are in control). The upcoming administration will have their work cut out for them.

Judgement: It looks like there will be many judgments to overcome and egos to put in balance. The world will be looking at Trump and judging his every move just as he will be judging and sizing them. Trump will be one of the most analyzed men in 2017.

The World: I see the collective consciousness rising, and as that happens more and more people will be looking to the arts (ancient writings, painting, books, etc) for answers. More and more free thinking blossoms.

The Hermit: I see a lot of social (and worldly) unrest. A huge balance is sought out between "good" and "bad" (I see a yin yang in the moon). Many revolts happen abroad. I get that England (specifically some darker parts of the monarchy) is sort of "secretly" is involved some undercover affairs, and that information gets leaked causing people to rise up and protest. This feels like it becomes a huge worldly (alternative) news story.

Death: This card feels like a change on the horizon. It looks like old issues that have been buried and ignored are coming to the surface. I also get that there will be a "surprise" come about of a country that wasn't on the radar being found out to have a nuclear weapon.

The Magician: I see two realities emerging, and you will live in the one that resonates with you. One reality feels very 3D and "common." Cookie cutter houses are being manufacturing (printed) and built everywhere. It feels like a very grounded and physical world.

Then there is this second reality, that feels like it comes from a more virtual (or even spiritual) place. Creativity and philosophical ideas flourish. I also get something about Tesla (like one of his inventions that was suppressed comes to fruition, but I can't be clear).

Wheel of Fortune: I see things in Europe being shook up. Leaders feel challenged, and some leadership may change..???

The Star: I see that "stars" or Hollywood will continue to be used as distractions from the bigger events (such as talk about the "Red Comet"). As issues arise in the world, I get that Hollywood will be used to cause interference (because that is one thing the PTW has control over).
-----------
http://psychicfocus.blogspot.com/

More here......

https://deusnexus.wordpress.com/2016/11/21/decoding-economist-2017-cover/

https://shop.economist.com/products/the-world-in-2017?_ga=1.72825876.623853110.1479773764

Hi TRF,

Agree with you here partially and with experience of the same in the UK sadly there are lots of different view points and perspective depending on where each is coming from. Good luck you guys going to need it imho. (y)

I agree with everything you say.

Concepts and Ideas are easier to conceive than Implement.

Everyone agrees coal is dirty. But the poorest (among them) places in the country are found in Appalachia, where a lot of coal is mined. The guys that mine coal might be nice guys but they are not the brightest. Their opportunities are limited. If you take the coal from them, they lose their jobs and quite often the town dies. Coal is often the only industry in those small towns.

I agree they need to retrain, but there are not any industries left in their towns to retrain to. They have to leave to find a new job. But, once again; the town dies. But that has happened for thousands of years.

Wyoming (I think it's Wyoming but it could be Montana) and West Virginia have also passed laws saying that if any new energy plants are introduced that they have to be coal. That is because their economies depend on it and I don't doubt that big coal is deep in the pockets of the politicians.

Changes are harder when you have so many special interests involved.

The U.S. is a big country. But I wish they would establish national building and make private homes energy efficient to the point of zero energy. More stringent insulation standards, energy efficient appliances, solar panels or a wind turbine...etc....

There are a few communities that do this. The homes are initially more expensive but if you don't have a utility bill ....you make up the difference.

Private homes consume 30-40 percent of all the energy consumed in this country. If they produced their own energy, imagine the savings.....no pollution, less dependency on imports as well as utility companies.

Utility companies are pushing back with the popularity of solar panels and being required to reimburse homeowners for excess production.

Change is never easy.

Don't forget wind energy too. Most energy is consumed in winter and solar won't be much good then. I would go with a small wind turbine. You can be surprised how much energy you can get and it runs 24/7 (unlike solar which doesn't work at night!)

Don't forget wind energy too. Most energy is consumed in winter and solar won't be much good then. I would go with a small wind turbine. You can be surprised how much energy you can get and it runs 24/7 (unlike solar which doesn't work at night!)

The daily surplus power can be stored in batteries or just pumping water up to a reservoir waiting to flow at night as a water turbine. All the lights might go out if the wind drops ?

Last edited:
North Carolina lawmakers have been ordered by a U.S. federal court to redraw 28 state House and Senate districts and to hold a special legislative election next year after the court struck down the state’s legislative map as an unconstitutional “racial gerrymander.”

A three-judge panel of the Middle District Court ruled Tuesday that the Republican-drawn legislative map had illegally packed African-American and Hispanic voters into a few districts, ruling that 28 of them were unconstitutional racial gerrymanders. The judges found North Carolina’s legislative districts to be so racially biased that they are forcing the state to redo its elections next year.

In an 83-page ruling last summer, the same three-judge panel found that Republican lawmakers’ “new provisions target African Americans with almost surgical precision.” While the court ruled at the time that 28 of the General Assembly’s 170 districts were illegal racial gerrymanders, it decided it was too late in the election cycle to redraw new maps and hold elections in November. On Tuesday, the judges ordered lawmakers to redraw its own districts by March 15, meaning those elected to the state House and Senate a few weeks ago in districts ordered to be redrawn would serve just one year, not two as expected.

“This gives the state a total of seven months from the time the districts were held to be unconstitutional, which is longer than it took the 2011 legislature to redistrict the entire state,” read the order by Judges James Wynn, Thomas Schroeder and Catherine Eagles. The ruling also requires lawmakers to submit new maps to the court within seven days of passage.

This is a major blow to Republican control of the state legislature in North Carolina.

--Sophia Tesfaye

North Carolina lawmakers have been ordered by a U.S. federal court to redraw 28 state House and Senate districts and to hold a special legislative election next year after the court struck down the state’s legislative map as an unconstitutional “racial gerrymander.”

A three-judge panel of the Middle District Court ruled Tuesday that the Republican-drawn legislative map had illegally packed African-American and Hispanic voters into a few districts, ruling that 28 of them were unconstitutional racial gerrymanders. The judges found North Carolina’s legislative districts to be so racially biased that they are forcing the state to redo its elections next year.

In an 83-page ruling last summer, the same three-judge panel found that Republican lawmakers’ “new provisions target African Americans with almost surgical precision.” While the court ruled at the time that 28 of the General Assembly’s 170 districts were illegal racial gerrymanders, it decided it was too late in the election cycle to redraw new maps and hold elections in November. On Tuesday, the judges ordered lawmakers to redraw its own districts by March 15, meaning those elected to the state House and Senate a few weeks ago in districts ordered to be redrawn would serve just one year, not two as expected.

“This gives the state a total of seven months from the time the districts were held to be unconstitutional, which is longer than it took the 2011 legislature to redistrict the entire state,” read the order by Judges James Wynn, Thomas Schroeder and Catherine Eagles. The ruling also requires lawmakers to submit new maps to the court within seven days of passage.

This is a major blow to Republican control of the state legislature in North Carolina.

--Sophia Tesfaye

New apartheid ?

I hope Mr Dump is proud of his mentor and friend in the Kremlin who is showing his true beastliness now in the massacre of Aleppo. He did it before in Chechnya where its capital was turned into bloody rubble and thousands murdered.
African Americans, Latinos etc. had better watch out. It might get a lot worse than fixing the voting districts.

Last edited: