The Church of What's Happening Now: An Experiment in RTA

dsn said:
In spite of the heavy selling induced, price was supported above Wednesday's low indicating accumulation in the short term - as has been noted on the larger timeframes.

Heavy selling AND buying, hence the high "bar", i.e., a high number of transactions. However, the buying pressure won out as the bar closed well off its low.

--Db

Where can I get a daily chart of the SP500 WITH volume to mark up?

Big charts, yahoo, future source don't show volume.

Ta.

frdyr said:
Where can I get a daily chart of the SP500 WITH volume to mark up?

Big charts, yahoo, future source don't show volume.

Ta.

Try looking at SPY......... there will be volume there.

erie

Relatively high activity levels continue, and the Dow and S&P have lashed back and forth in volatile ranges over the last 3 weeks - certainly not a quiet consolidation. The recent move away from the range lows preceded an upwards break yesterday - but the closes on the futures were noticeably more negative than those on the indices themselves.

Attachments

• ES daily.JPG
    ES daily.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 274
dsn said:
Relatively high activity levels continue, and the Dow and S&P have lashed back and forth in volatile ranges over the last 3 weeks - certainly not a quiet consolidation. The recent move away from the range lows preceded an upwards break yesterday - but the closes on the futures were noticeably more negative than those on the indices themselves.

Though many people pooh-pooh Dow Theory, I've come to respect it over the years and find following the transportation average along with everything else to be worthwhile. It's done quite nicely lately and is approaching "resistance".

Attachments

• Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 267
The spider does not need to "feed" everyday. He is content to wait until a morsel comes his way, patient and secure in the knowledge that he has taken the steps necessary for his survival. His carefully crafted web transmits to him all sorts of information. But he knows how to identify the false signals -- the wind vibrating his web, a drop of rain -- from the real thing enmeshed in it. Why does he know it so intimately? Because he has carefully constructed his web himself. No one else can build it for him. As a result, the configuration of his web is as uniquely his as his fingerprints.

Most important, the spider is patient. He waits until he sees a convergence of most all of his signals before he acts; but when he does, he pounces aggressively and without hesitation. (asmae)

dbphoenix said:
Though many people pooh-pooh Dow Theory, I've come to respect it over the years and find following the transportation average along with everything else to be worthwhile. It's done quite nicely lately and is approaching "resistance".

Note that the Trans Avg has cleared R for the time being.

Odd that in the 7500+/- post Dow thread, the transportation sector is mentioned only once.

--Db

dbphoenix said:
Note that the Trans Avg has cleared R for the time being.

Odd that in the 7500+/- post Dow thread, the transportation sector is mentioned only once.

--Db

Yes and now that you mention it , it begs my question..............how can the transports be going up when oil, gold, commodities and short term rates are going up? Is it not against normal principles?

erie

Which suggest two further questions:

1. What are "normal principles"?

2. Is there any evidence to support their being characterized as "principles" (or is this just "common wisdom" that has no basis in fact)?

On a separate note, I hadn't planned on posting any charts until this weekend, if then. But the NDX is at R, leaving everything else behind, which may make for interesting trading tomorrow, given the gap, and this is an RTA thread . . .

--Db

dbphoenix said:
Which suggest two further questions:

1. What are "normal principles"?

2. Is there any evidence to support their being characterized as "principles" (or is this just "common wisdom" that has no basis in fact)?

--Db

To the first question:
Normal principles as in intermarket analysis, between stocks, bonds, commodities and currencies.
Second question:
Yes , I believe the principles can be supported by looking at the charts, although they are not always in sync, all the time.

Which leads to my question about the Transports and if you don't want to answer this that is fine, it's just what's happening now..........and I'm trying to follow it.

erie

My question regarding the "normal principles" wasn't answered, i.e., what are they?

As to belief, that is only incidental support and insufficient for the purpose of forming conclusions leading to trading decisions.

So it isn't that I don't want to answer; I don't know what you're asking.

--Db

On yet another note, I should mention that new highs in the Naz support this move, but the AVDVd does not. However, these are calculated from the Naz, not the NDX, and it's the NDX that's hitting R.

Again, ingredients for what may be an interesting day (or two).

--Db

dbphoenix said:
My question regarding the "normal principles" wasn't answered, i.e., what are they?

--Db

Trying to keep it simple without going too far off on your thread. When oil ,eg. commodities rise it is not good for a future economy down the road. Transports logically should suffer. Here and now they are rising . So normal in that sense. As a red flag may appear here one would keep a close eye on the Transports.

erie

Erie,
Are you referring to economics when you mention "normal principles"...

That is , higher interest rate cycles have historically capped stock market growth due to the knockon effect they have on corporate bottomlines through cost of corporate borrowing and indeed market consumption when joe bloggs get's squeezed ? In addition , bringing into play alternative investment scenarios that become increasingly more attractive on a risk basis the higher rates go. Factored in to NPV's.
Worth noting that the actual level of interest rates is less important that the rate of increase in same when you look at their impact on the cost of indebtedness and consumption.

chump said:
Erie,
Are you referring to economics when you mention "normal principles"...

In addition , bringing into play alternative investment scenarios that become increasingly more attractive on a risk basis the higher rates go. .

Economics in the sense that one would be making decisions to ; be long, short , or in cash with respect to the futures market.

erie

erierambler said:
Trying to keep it simple without going too far off on your thread. When oil ,eg. commodities rise it is not good for a future economy down the road. Transports logically should suffer. Here and now they are rising . So normal in that sense. As a red flag may appear here one would keep a close eye on the Transports.

erie

In terms of real-time trading, however, none of this is particularly pertinent. While it may be interesting, it doesn't help me decide what to do in two hours, though that may not of course be the case for everyone.

--Db

dbphoenix said:
In terms of real-time trading, however, none of this is particularly pertinent. While it may be interesting, it doesn't help me decide what to do in two hours, though that may not of course be the case for everyone.

--Db

Understood.

erie

Indices and Sectors

Attachments

• Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 442
  • Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 441
  • Sectors.jpg
    Sectors.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 429
Doesn't seem to be much interest in indices or sectors, so perhaps a group: home construction. There are at least eight major stocks in this group which are flirting with trouble. Playing them in hindsight is much easier than laying out the strategies in advance, but not nearly as profitable.

Attachments

• Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 431
"Playing them in hindsight is much easier than laying out the strategies in advance" not sure I agree with that ... LOL ..but what if anything are you inviting by way of comment to this chart ?
I'll contribute if you spell out what form of contribution you are expecting.
and by the way as I have tried to develop my trading knowledge over the last couple of years or os I have found the activity of analysing charts by actually having to write out that analysis for myself and others to be one of the best ways to develop knowledge so I am not being altruistic with an offer to contribute...while I can still learn more I'll continue to do more of this.