Spread Betting Company Request

est84

Whats does everyone think Of TradIndex as a spread betting company? I'm with fInspreads at the moment, but am finding them absolutely useless.

Thanks for any help.

Crud.

wide spreads, and a s*ite trading platform. if i recall from the demo you need to enter a password etc to open a trade. more cumbersome than an elephant bombing down the left wing....

try capitalspreads, or if you are feeling brave, Deal4Free.

FetteredChinos

hey - i am gonna use you to write my messages for me

"elephant bombing down the left wing" - got no idea what that means - but whatever it is - it presents a great picture!

mmm - gonna get me some of them there guineeses then

ironically i am dealing on another thread with a piece of what those elephants are dropping - but its only a little one

Ok, so Tradindex, out the window. Ive got SO many brochures, and affter reading these forums, thought that finspreads souned the best, but jeez, they are crap; so not to big on the whole initiative thing.
Anyhow please could you guys give me some rating for the others' that I am looking at right now:

Capital Spreads
Deal4Free
IGIndex
CantorIndex
CityIndex
SpreadRight

Obviously looking for tight spreads, but also, a nice easy to use format - i mean the page where you enter you bet info ie buy/sell, £/Tic, Stop Loss (Tic), actually like the one at TradIndex. Any other recommended companies greatly appreciated. Also like to mention that I absolutely hate the layout on Finspreads, and the charting system is C**P. Speaking of charting Systems, ho is ADVFN working for anybody?

Thanks

For what it's worth ... the general consensus among the small group of traders (mostly "nearly full-time") with whom I regularly exchange information is that overall Finspreads is the worst and CapitalSpreads the best. at the moment. That's certainly my own experience. Tradindex is probably the second-best (and some people's favourite), but nneding to type in your password in order to enter a trade is indeed a thorn in the flesh, as per the point made above. (Depending on exactly what sort of trading you're trying to do, of course).

IG Index

I've been using IG index for the last 2 years. The commission is 0.9% for a far futures bet (you need to add any market spread and a finance charge though if you are market neutral the finance charge is cancelled out) - I don't know and would be interested in how this compares with other SB companies.

In terms of trade execution, I normally deal in the equivalent of £3,000 per share and have no problems. When dealing on FTSE futures I have several open around £4 per point and these values are easy to deal in. for info, the spread is 8 points on a FTSE future, and 4 (I think) on the dally.

I find the platform very easy to use. I looked at Deal4free which seemed to be ar more complex.

Overall, I'd rate them 9/10. If someone informs me that other companies charge half this commission, this rating will drop rapidly, LOL. Can anyone post the charges for capitalSpreads?

UTB

Last edited:
no offence blades but cmc is defo a lot cheaper than .9% which strikes me as quite a lot!!

henry766 said:
no offence blades but cmc is defo a lot cheaper than .9% which strikes me as quite a lot!!

Can you elaborate? How much cheaper? And for futures bets? I believe daily bets are around 0.2%, but I don't trade these.

I suppose you have to look at overall spread - that is the total IG spread, plus market spread. I believe others play around with the spread yet claim a smaller commission.

Can anyone elaborate? It's time I shopped around. I suppose I can always call the companies direct.

UTB

PS - out of interest I've just pulled the spreads for vodaphone from IG and D4F, daily bet. - couldn't get a quarterly quote from D4F

IG - 0.3pts, D4F 1pt (that is if these qoutes hold when the market opens). However, Capital Spreads futurs are charged at 0.3% - significantly lower - I will look a bit deeper.

Last edited:
A lot of out of date info. here about Tradindex.
I use them quite a bit and since they improved their site some months back it is no longer necessary to enter your password to make a trade, you just click "confirm".
On the odd occasion that I've had a query they have been most helpful and have offered to look after trades for me on the two occasions when they were having software problems.
Capital Spreads do have tighter spreads and I would love to go live with them but my computer seems to have a problem with their charts.
Customer service have tried to help but to no effect. Although I have Java enabled, all I get is a blank space and a funny little logo in the top right hand corner.
I don't have this problem anywhere else.
My one complaint with both of them is that they frequently send the Dow off in the opposite direction from the one I've told them it should go in.:)

axthree said:
A lot of out of date info. here about Tradindex.
I use them quite a bit and since they improved their site some months back it is no longer necessary to enter your password to make a trade, you just click "confirm"

Thanks for updating our out-of-date information about Tradindex. I'll certainly be taking a new look at them, then. We liked them very much and had good experience of them apart from that little problem.

the general consensus among the small group of traders (mostly "nearly full-time") with whom I regularly exchange information is that overall Finspreads is the worst and CapitalSpreads the best. at the moment.

I have spoken to a lot of traders over the years, and Deal4Free (CMC)definitely get the worst position.

The spreads may 'appear' to be good on first impressions but if you watch their prices and the way they move them in comparison to another spreadbet company prices and you will see that CMC aren't so good after all!

Racer said:
I have spoken to a lot of traders over the years, and Deal4Free (CMC)definitely get the worst position.

The spreads may 'appear' to be good on first impressions but if you watch their prices and the way they move them in comparison to another spreadbet company prices and you will see that CMC aren't so good after all!

Our "informal survey" made D4F (CMC) second-worst, so I can't really argue with you! (We felt that Finspreads' attitude, in particular, gave them "worst place" more or less by definition.)

Ok guys

FetteredChinos seems to think Tradindex are c**p, but most of you think they are ok. Finspreads are generally thought of as really really c**p (so glad that you agree, thought it was only in my imagination), and CapitalSpreads...OK??? So I'm thinking to go with either TradIndex or CapitalSpreads. As I said, I really like the whole layout & charting system - really user friendly, as in the demo account. But apparantly, CapitalSpreads have tighter spreads. One more question, do either have real time charting, or are they delayed??? I'm quite happy with the real time charting system at ADVFN, but it'd be helpful to know. So, between the two...???
A pole here please people, please cast your votes...........................................................
.......CapitalSpreads.............................................or..................................................TradIndex...........????????

P.S - Roberto, can we have more info on this 'informal survey'? Or perhaps the page that it is on?
Thanks

est84 said:
P.S - Roberto, can we have more info on this 'informal survey'? Or perhaps the page that it is on? Thanks

Not really ... it was only an informal group-email conversation through a "yahoogroup" used by 5 (now 6) semi-professional traders (well, probably 3 professional and 2 semi-professional, at the time, I should say). Sorry - I didn't intend to make it sound like anything "official" or "well-organised"! :)

I completely agree with your conlusion, btw. CapSpreads and TradIndex are both perfectly ok, by the general standards of these things, and you should always have 2 accounts anyway, no? So maybe you might plan to use them both and see for yourself which you prefer?

Actually, don't know why I didnt think of that, heard it before, very good idea. Will get on to that first thing in the morning. And Il'' come back here in a copule months to let you know which really is the best!

Oh, & thanks for the info, glad that that particular discussion took place!

est84,
I disagree with your shortlist of 2.
It should be a choice between D4F or Capital Spreads. Tradindex is a waste of time. Wide spreads and short trading hours. D4F is 24 hrs apart from weekends. I have made many points SB trading the FTSE in the evening when Tradindex is closed.
My vote is with D4F, despite the infrequent requotes which is no more than an irritation.
regards,
G McA