Spread Betting Company Request

Do you get the requotes only after hours and at what stake size are you dealing.

I also trade the FTSE with D4F but only in the morning. Got lots of requotes when attempting to trade above £25.

Kevin546,
No, the requotes seemed to be based on frequency of trading. I never enter with £25 trades, I normally enter at £5 or £10, but can double/treble up quickly if I think I am right. On principle I always reject their requotes, and wait for another entry, which normally occurs. Also, I keep my finger over the reject button, and if they hesitate ( and the dealing box stays on Yellow) and the trade moves against me, I automatically reject. A few weeks ago I wanted to close a winning long position in a rising market. The trade execution was delayed, so I cancelled. This happened three times, each time I was gaining 1 or 2 points. On the fourth time the execution was instanteneous!! Made me laugh! I treat it as a battle of wits between me and the dealer!
regards,
G McA

I trade with Fin Spreads,Cantor & Capital Spreads.
Both the Fin Spread & Cap Spreads online trading works fine,however the Cantor "e-speed"(???)platform I find extremely cumbersome.So much so that I resort to phone dealing for them.
In terms of performance etc. there's not much to choose between them,but Capital has the best spreads however I dislike the compulsory stop loss feature.
I have just received a brochure for Man Financial spreads so will give them a try.

kevin546 said:
Roberto Out of interest how did CityIndex do!

I'm sorry: I honestly can't remember. I think that this is probably an indication that it was somewhere around the middle ... possibly middle of 7 (?) ... I seem to recall that people preferred their attitude to IG, anyway, but I've seen a lot people here and elsewhere saying that they don't like IG's attitude to problems/complaints, and I forget now who said exactly what. :(

gmca686 said:
est84,
I disagree with your shortlist of 2.
It should be a choice between D4F or Capital Spreads. Tradindex is a waste of time. Wide spreads and short trading hours. D4F is 24 hrs apart from weekends. I have made many points SB trading the FTSE in the evening when Tradindex is closed.
My vote is with D4F, despite the infrequent requotes which is no more than an irritation.
regards,
G McA

gmca686,
But from reading the posts on this site, everyone seems to think that D4F are not so good??? I will definitely go with CapitalSpreads, which i suppose I can trade with in the evening? I have to say, I quite like TradIndex;s trading platform, but now you have made me think! Damn, and I thought that I had finally made a correct decision! Still not sure. I have emailed TradIndex AND CapitalSpreads a very LONG list of questions and queries, and will see how satisfied I feel when they reply.

Thanks for the concern!

est84 said:
everyone seems to think that D4F are not so good???

Well, I also think that, I must say. But maybe there are nearly as many opinions as there are punters, because everyone's experience is a little different? To be honest, I'm quite surprised at the degree of consensus you managed to get! :)

i didn t realise there was such a difference in trading hours

i have had a finspreads account for quite a while now but not really used recently, i wanted to trade out of my working hours 8 -5, but found it is not possible on the internet
do the other recommended spread betting companies have decent trading hours, i just want access maybe upto 10pm and over the weekend if possible

capitalspreads markets shut at 9pm, or 9.15 if you are trading the futures. (us markets + forex)

ftse futures shut at 5.30, cash at 4.30.

if you want 24 hour, then you would have to look elsewhere.

sorry chaps.

FC

Which Company

I have used IG Index for many years and have found them very good, but their spreads seem to be wider than a lot. I recently opened an account with Capital Spreads and I find them great with narrow spreads and tend to use them more than IG now.
Of course whatever the spread the disadvantage with SB remains in that the higher the amount you bet then the commission (the spread is the commission) increases a lot and probably CFDs are more financially prudent to use. Spreadbetting is still best for relatively small bets.
I am surprised a SB company has not come up with a method of gradually reducing commissions the greater the amount staked. I am sure the "Big Players" are quoted narrower spreads.

the blades

checked out three March 05 prices between IG and Capital Spreads

Barclays IG 546.5 - 551.9 or 5.4 wide
Capital Spreads 543.9 -548.0 or 4.1 wide

BP IG 543.4 - 548.7 or 5.3 wide
Capital Spreads 539.9 - 543.8.0 or 3.9 wide

Reckitt Benckiser IG 1422.9 - 1435.9 or 13.0 wide
Capital Spreads 1419.1 - 1429.7 or 10.6 wide

I just picked three at random which showed CS prices to be much tighter than IG ....

smallpotatos

Spreads

You will also find the spread for indices are also much better ie.

FTSE Daily IG = 4 Points CS = 3 points

FTSE Dececember IG = 8 points CS = 4 Points

DOW Daily IG = 8 Points CS = 5 points

Denny

I think there is no doubt that Capitalspreads offer very good spreads over a wide range of instruments CMC were the previous leader in this and may still be. However many have indicated that CMC offer problems where Capitalspreads appear to have a good attitude towards clients.

I still use CMC and trade the FTSE cash which still has the smallest spread at 2 points with Capitalspreads at 3 but on other prices I am uncertain. For me it would appear you have to consider value for money, part of that comes with the spread and the rest on the trading mechanics involved with that particular SB company and the customer service.

If you are trading longer term then service counts for more and other companies with much wider spreads may offer better value. I day trade so I need good spreads and a reliable trading platform and no antics. They say that if you become successful then companies like CMC will start to make your trading more difficult. Time will tell for me but so far I have found as long as I play by there rules then the orders go through fine. If you up the stake size they do mess you around so I trade within it. Capitalspreads appear a very good back up and probably offer a better service overall.

smallpotatos said:
the blades

checked out three March 05 prices between IG and Capital Spreads

Barclays IG 546.5 - 551.9 or 5.4 wide
Capital Spreads 543.9 -548.0 or 4.1 wide

BP IG 543.4 - 548.7 or 5.3 wide
Capital Spreads 539.9 - 543.8.0 or 3.9 wide

Reckitt Benckiser IG 1422.9 - 1435.9 or 13.0 wide
Capital Spreads 1419.1 - 1429.7 or 10.6 wide

I just picked three at random which showed CS prices to be much tighter than IG ....

smallpotatos

Cheers, SP.

Actually, since my last post I did some further digging and liked the look, and spreads, from capital.

I've now opened an account and am ready to go!.

UTB

PS - got my agreement to go part time from Jan so I'll be a semi full time trader next year. Those tighter spreads might make the difference between Tesco's finest or their value range....:)

Denny

I hope you do not mind, but I felt your comment concerning larger spreadbets and commissions were valid and so have posted it for the attention of Simon on the Capitalspreads thread. He represents this company and would appear to have a very good attitude and his thoughts on this matter may prove interesting.

Kevin

I use Cantor Index and think they're great but then i've only been trading for a week and half. I've made quite a good profit so far - the thing is you dont know what you think of a company until you actually start using it as what suits you may not suit someone else.

I have used Cantors for a few years and found them to be very fair and helpful.
Had a few errors with trades and it has always been sorted out no problem and customer service very good.

kevin546 said:
Denny

I hope you do not mind, but I felt your comment concerning larger spreadbets and commissions were valid and so have posted it for the attention of Simon on the Capitalspreads thread. He represents this company and would appear to have a very good attitude and his thoughts on this matter may prove interesting.

Kevin

Hi Kevin no problem at all, as I say I do spreadbet but only relatively small amounts because this is cost effective. The problem with spreadbetting is that the commission (spread) increases linearly with the size of bet whreas this is not the case with CFDs or conventional share buying.

gmca686 said:
Kevin546,

A few weeks ago I wanted to close a winning long position in a rising market. The trade execution was delayed, so I cancelled. This happened three times, each time I was gaining 1 or 2 points. On the fourth time the execution was instanteneous!! Made me laugh! I treat it as a battle of wits between me and the dealer!
regards,
G McA

isn't this risky ? what happens if upon your first reject , the market drops 40 pts ?