SOCRATES Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

new_trader

Legendary member
SOCRATES has been permanently banned. I think this is an absolute travesty of site moderation. He has been relentlessly helpful to me and I’m sure many others who dared to venture beyond the mindless mainstream drivel propagated throughout this forum.

It will be interesting to see just how unbiased the moderators of this site really are...

SOCRATES has been permanently banned. I think this is an absolute travesty of site moderation. He has been relentlessly helpful to me and I’m sure many others who dared to venture beyond the mindless mainstream drivel propagated throughout this forum.

It will be interesting to see just how unbiased the moderators of this site really are...

For me the issue is one of freedom of speech which is being quietly eroded in this country.

Whatever ones opinion of Socco is, my view is that he is entitled to have his voice heard even if we don't like it or agree with it. This is a fundamental human right.

For the most part IMO Socco was an irritant, a necessary pimple that needed squeezing now and again. A pimple which mirrored the toxicity within all of us.

Since I have, more or less, managed to stay away from him since the traded options debacle I do not know whether to be sorry or not. Over the last month I noticed a moderation in what he wrote but, obviously, he annoyed someone this week, which does not surprise me at all.

There is no need to be so offensive to people, it was as if he sought to deliberately antagonise. Many will not bring their questions and opinions onto the site if they think that someone, like Socrates, is going to ridicule everything they post.

At the same time, there was a certain amount of bull-baiting going on. He was not, altogether, in the wrong.

Split

in Soccos defence, I think "ian" said something sufficiently offensive for Jacinto to delete his (ians) post.

For me the issue is one of freedom of speech which is being quietly eroded in this country.

Whatever ones opinion of Socco is, my view is that he is entitled to have his voice heard even if we don't like it or agree with it. This is a fundamental human right.

For the most part IMO Socco was an irritant, a necessary pimple that needed squeezing now and again. A pimple which mirrored the toxicity within all of us.

I'll probably rub some people up the wrong way but I'm going to speak my mind here as no-one else has yet...

I take your point on the freedom of speech bit, but what was quite a civil discussion about the slightly irrelevant topic of fun in trading was derailed by his comments yet again and it turned into a orgy of insults between different parties.

If this was just a one off then I would be as alarmed as new_trader however this happened with almost EVERY thread he participated in. You can't say "I don't blame socs because so & so insulted him" every time. There's one common element to all of this.

I for one was sick and tired of it and welcome the ban, my eyes would glaze over when I saw the purple text. Now those of us actually serious about trading and interested in exchanging practical (& theoretical) ideas can do so without receiving insulting & belittling comments from someone pretending to be a master guru. I'm pretty sure he has driven away some really valuable members of T2W , professional full time traders don't have the need or the will to argue over psuedo-psychology with Socs.

I've got where I am today mostly through my own hard work, study and trial and error, but I have learned from other high-profile members of this forum and I am always interested to read their opinions whether I agree with them or not. I have learned nothing of any value to help my trading from socs. Comments such as "there is a secret hidden agenda" and "traders are born not made" don't actually mean anything and are made to incite arguments and insults from other board members!

/rant over

I'll probably rub some people up the wrong way but I'm going to speak my mind here as no-one else has yet...

I take your point on the freedom of speech bit, but what was quite a civil discussion about the slightly irrelevant topic of fun in trading was derailed by his comments yet again and it turned into a orgy of insults between different parties.

If this was just a one off then I would be as alarmed as new_trader however this happened with almost EVERY thread he participated in. You can't say "I don't blame socs because so & so insulted him" every time. There's one common element to all of this.

I for one was sick and tired of it and welcome the ban, my eyes would glaze over when I saw the purple text. Now those of us actually serious about trading and interested in exchanging practical (& theoretical) ideas can do so without receiving insulting & belittling comments from someone pretending to be a master guru. I'm pretty sure he has driven away some really valuable members of T2W , professional full time traders don't have the need or the will to argue over psuedo-psychology with Socs.

I've got where I am today mostly through my own hard work, study and trial and error, but I have learned from other high-profile members of this forum and I am always interested to read their opinions whether I agree with them or not. I have learned nothing of any value to help my trading from socs. Comments such as "there is a secret hidden agenda" and "traders are born not made" don't actually mean anything and are made to incite arguments and insults from other board members!

/rant over

totally agree with your comments
you said it all ,saved me typing it

/rant over

Agree almost completely.

I will miss him however - I think there's a nice fella in there trying to get out.

I wont miss the constant swipes at "the masses" - why does this need to be continually said.

I can't understand the point of repeating you know it all, 4,500 times. If so great, then move on and enjoy your wealth.

New trader - your disdain for these boards is well documented - why not go and "benefit" from Socco's scribblings on City Bull's or whatever it's called?

UTB

I do hope this isn't going to turn into a Diana type inquest, with New Trader playing Al Fayed.

I am very grateful for his dismissal as I have learnt a new word. A word which perfectly describes for how long the dearly departed will be missed.

He (Socco) doesn’t deserve a yoctosecond of our further consideration…

Time to move on....

It's pitty to see a thread (Fun in Trading) had to be locked due to various irrelavent comments.

I'm too all for Free Speech, but what you do if some others put their best efforts to block your very right by diverting it...

It was my first thread on this forums. I have tried to channel views to the actual topic without success.

IMHO people should concentrate more on bringing up new ideas rather than just critisizing. We have to remember that not everything applicable to everyone or every situation.

Again, IMHO putting some fun in trading through metaphors or whatever is relevant as long as it helps some to improve their bottom line.

I was completely indifferent to him, really.

He wanted to be seen to be one of the sites gurus but he was just not able to back it up.

I dont frequent the site enough anymore to know why he was banned, but im just not bothered anyway.

History Today

I will miss him, oh yes, the comedy duo of CYOF and Socrates was good while it lasted, also the way he would be able to elbow in and take a thread over as his own was legendary, perhaps his new alias could be Thread Mugger.

I liked his posts up to the point when an agenda appeared regarding t'other site, I have not really got any of it all yet of what he posted (pre options stuff) but thats my fault not his.

These situations of derailment remind me of the History Today sketches by Newman and Baddiel, you know the one, the two old college professors trying to have a debate but one always intent on derailment, dragging the whole show down.

httitle1.jpg

"See that nonsense there, thats a buggered thread that is."

"See what you've got there, that's a ban, thats you that is."

Last edited:
I do hope this isn't going to turn into a Diana type inquest, with New Trader playing Al Fayed.

I am very grateful for his dismissal as I have learnt a new word. A word which perfectly describes for how long the dearly departed will be missed.

He (Socco) doesn’t deserve a yoctosecond of our further consideration…

Time to move on....

Hope your charts aren't that detailed! Who'd you trade with to get those timeframes :eek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_E-24_s

There's nothing that can be said about Socrates that hasn't already been said a sqillion times already. (Not sure if that one's in wikidpediafiles... If that offends I'll remove) Don't give new_trader the pleasure of keeping this pointless discussion going.

I thought he'd reformed though and wasn't that bad this time round...

It is amazing that so much purple b/s can lead to such a long obituary.
The best response, which I have here broken ranks to suggest, is no response at all.

The moderators are right. Once we start trading insults it ceases to be informed discussion. By all means raise controversial ideas but there's no need to sink to the level of some politicians.

Subscribers know when they are being offensively provocative & must therefore be prepared to accept the consequences.

Goodbye Long Winded One.

Attachments

• worship.gif
    worship.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 663
[EDIT}Don't give new_trader the pleasure of keeping this pointless discussion going.

Why contribute pointless comments in a pointless thread then? :rolleyes:

.....I suppose SOCRATES will be blamed for that irritating, pointless, brainless, feeble minded, half-witted comment...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The title of this thread WAS SOCRATES APPRECIATION THREAD!

Why contribute pointless comments in a pointless thread then? :rolleyes:

.....I suppose SOCRATES will be blamed for that irritating, pointless, brainless, feeble minded, half-wit of a comment...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree with priceman.
Don't be a lap dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.