• The plane will take off normally

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you candles - Bramble, read that link, and then eat a very, very, VERY large slice of humble pie.

And your experience as a pilot (which I fully believe by the way) is better? I'll take the video evidence of the plane taking off from a moving belt.
I'm not going to check out youtube for the answers to the universe, but was the plane in question a jet-engined 747? Or was it a prop? Doh!

And was the conveyor rigged to precisely cancel any forward motion of the plane?

THE PLANE'S ENGINE IS NOT SENDING POWER TO THE WHEELS.
Well, that''s my life in tatters...

It doesn't matter if it's a conventional prop, a jet or a guy pedalling a propeller really really fast - it still takes off.

yes but what if spanish was the pilot. wouldn't he still be in duty free loading up his excess goods for smuggling and so would miss his slot .... ?

How many 747s have propellers, by the way?

Would you like to see the video of a plane taking off from a moving belt now, or later when you've given a little more of your drivel?

Just so you know, we had this as a discussion in a Physics lecture in first year; my published, internationally-renowned tutor gave us the conclusion that the plane takes off. I'll go with him over some ex-pilot who doesn't know that 747's use jet engines.

Skill Leverage, ease up a bit on the abuse.

lol you obviously haven't met thebramble before, he's aptly named you know, and is being very, very nice to you :D

So the guy is 26, that means he isn't intelligent enough to understand the problem? I'm 24 and much more intelligent than you, clearly.

Get over the fact that a plane is not a car, the groundspeed does not matter to a plane one itty bitty jot, and realise that you are a fool.

Fair enough Mr Mcqueen, I just find it amusing when someone says 'I used to be a pilot, let me wade in with the completely wrong answer'

So the guy is 26, that means he isn't intelligent enough to understand the problem? I'm 24 and much more intelligent than you, clearly.

Get over the fact that a plane is not a car, the groundspeed does not matter to a plane one itty bitty jot, and realise that you are a fool.
Ah! You're 24. Why didn't you say so.

That explains everything.

{plop}

Bramble: Does the plane take off, or not?

Skill: "MuscleTalk"?? I didn't know you were homosexual.

I knew I shouldn't have given this problem, unless you're a phys student or someone with half a brain the whole thing just descends into insults. It really is pretty bad for you that you are an ex-pilot who has studied aerodynamics, and you can't solve this problem.

The wheels on a plane exist purely to stop the plane scraping along the tarmac as it takes off. They do not affect its flight whatsover. Assuming the wheels are frictionless, a plane would happily sit on a conveyor belt that's doing a million miles an hour, and not move.

So, when the engines switch on, what happens?

IT

TAKES

OFF.

The end.

Skill, as you've decided to be a nice little boy I'll help you out.

How does a plane generate lift?

Skill, as you've decided to be a nice little boy I'll help you out.

How does a plane generate lift?

Ha mate you really don't get it. Look at what I've just written and see if you can get your head around it before you start talking Bernoulli to me. I know the solution to this problem, you don't.