• The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mr. G. - I KNEW you would have to come back...LOL

Unsubscribe my ass......

This thing is too unimportant to give up on....

Always squire... Just a little frustrated at lack of progress. Forgive me my outbursts... :)

Been out drinking, so apologies but...

1st blue bit...

Ummm, you're wrong, I don't know how to break it down into simpler bits. If the plane is moving relative to the ground, then it has velocity relative to the air (hence lift etc).
Relative to the ground is taking into account the conveyor belt, dunno what else to say.

"energy is absorbed by the spinning wheels"

I just have no idea what the hell you're on about here. My bad.

You understand that the only effect of the conveyor belt is to spin the wheels faster...then surely the plane just takes off with the wheels spinning faster?

Then you went on about cycling...i didn't mention anything about cycling, just a bike. In my example, I'm not on the conveyor belt pushing the bike, just like the jet isn't pushing along the belt like a car would, it's pushing the air, which has nothing to do with the belt, much like i would push the belt when I'm not standing on the belt.

Lift wind speed???

If the plane moves forward, then it's accelerated, hence it will continue to accelerate until "lift wind speed" is achieved.

Last point, not sure who said it, but why does whoever, think that the myth busters experiment is different to a conveyor belt?

P.S. Anyone who's arguing that the plane doesn't take off done any mechanics of any note?

Hotchy baby... It doesn't matter man. We've tired our best... Lets just continue like this never happened. We are both drunk. Lifes good. Forget about it. I like you man. Lets be brothers :) xxx

The cassoulet (without beans?) was great. For all those not hungover:

Try and imagine this. The plane is on the belt which is very slowly (imperceptably) moving backwards. The engines are ticking over and the plane is stationary. Can you picture that?
The engine power is slightly increased. In order for the plane to move forward, relative to the ground, one of two things must happen; The wheels stay the same speed and the lateral movement of the plane (and it's wheels) push the belt in the opposite direction (forwards). Or the wheels speed up and traverse along the belt (which is the more likely).
Unfortunately neither of these effects are allowed in the question, therefore the third option is the plane does not move forwards relative to the ground and doesn't take off.
Having explained that, the correct answer that the poser of the question intended or expected was, obviously, that the plane takes off as normal.

I have never been arguing about the wheels spinning malarkey, only that if the speed of the belt is the plane, that it would.

To follow up from megamuel:

"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!" -- George Bernard Shaw

"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!" -- George Bernard Shaw

Sounds boring.

Been out drinking, so apologies but...

1st blue bit...

Ummm, you're wrong, I don't know how to break it down into simpler bits. If the plane is moving relative to the ground, then it has velocity relative to the air (hence lift etc).
Relative to the ground is taking into account the conveyor belt, dunno what else to say.

"energy is absorbed by the spinning wheels"

I just have no idea what the hell you're on about here. My bad.

You understand that the only effect of the conveyor belt is to spin the wheels faster...then surely the plane just takes off with the wheels spinning faster?

Then you went on about cycling...i didn't mention anything about cycling, just a bike. In my example, I'm not on the conveyor belt pushing the bike, just like the jet isn't pushing along the belt like a car would, it's pushing the air, which has nothing to do with the belt, much like i would push the belt when I'm not standing on the belt.

Lift wind speed???

If the plane moves forward, then it's accelerated, hence it will continue to accelerate until "lift wind speed" is achieved.

Last point, not sure who said it, but why does whoever, think that the myth busters experiment is different to a conveyor belt?

P.S. Anyone who's arguing that the plane doesn't take off done any mechanics of any note?

Irrespective of how fast conveyor rug, plane or wheels move etc etc... :(

The plane only takes off because NET wind speed over it's wings is sufficient to give it lift. :smart:

I was trying to explain only this fact :!:

COME ON! It's a rug, the wheels will slip or slide, whatever, forward. If not the little plane would revolve on it's axles and nosedive.
OK--laptop OFF. If it's still going Monday, I might look!