• The plane will take off normally

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TheBramble that's a bit of a vague statement; are you saying it couldn't take off either?
Vague? It's on a conveyor which has the property of infinite virtual length (or it's not a conveyor) and standard runway usable length (as per your definition).

To generate the life necessary for takeoff the 747 needs an airspeed of 180mph (fully laden cargo & fuel). It generates that lift by having the engines push what they're attached to (the plane) until there is sufficient pressure differential between upper and lower edges of wings to lift the swine skywards.

Unless there's some deeply serious or humorous twist to your teaser, it ain't going anywhere if the conveyor speed is perfectly matched to the relative ground speed generated by the engines. Until it runs out of fuel that is - at which point it will begionn to move somewhat differently....

Ah... The plane moves relative to the air, not the runway, so the conveyor won't be able to slow the plane down, just make it's wheels spin super fast.. so the plane takes off normally.
Uh? Yes. And therefore no.

There IS no airpseed if the conveyor is moving at the same speed as the wheels.

Not the fact that the plane is driven by it's engines thrust rather than the speed of it's wheels then.... Well, I'm stumped.

Think about why planes have wings !, and why gliders (that dont have engines) can fly

If the plane is moving forward at 180mph, then the conveyor is moving back at 180mph.

But the conveyor doesn't put any force on the plane because all teh wheels do is hold the plane up. The plane moves morward by pushing itself forward against the air, not the runway. So all the conveyor does is make the wheels spin like it's going at 360mph and the plane takes off normaly

Vague? It's on a conveyor which has the property of infinite virtual length (or it's not a conveyor) and standard runway usable length (as per your definition).

To generate the life necessary for takeoff the 747 needs an airspeed of 180mph (fully laden cargo & fuel). It generates that lift by having the engines push what they're attached to (the plane) until there is sufficient pressure differential between upper and lower edges of wings to lift the swine skywards.

Unless there's some deeply serious or humorous twist to your teaser, it ain't going anywhere if the conveyor speed is perfectly matched to the relative ground speed generated by the engines. Until it runs out of fuel that is - at which point it will begionn to move somewhat differently....

Congratulations - you managed to make a completely incorrect answer look vaguely intelligent.

Instead of the engines pushing the plane through the air, they are pulling the air over the wings. Quid pro quo.

(Note, I answered before I thought about it and am one of the imbeciles that got it wrong).

it's worth pointing out here that it can't work in theory as the conveyer belt would have to move at an infinite speed...

Plane will remain stationary.
Isn't moving relative to the air.
That's it.
Richard

Since people are now interested, here is the correct answer:

The plane takes off normally.

Discuss.

Congratulations - you managed to make a completely incorrect answer look vaguely intelligent.
Unfortunately (for you) my answer was correct and it is based on experential knowledge (as a pilot) and an educational background in aerodynamics.

Yours (I'm guessing) is based on the accumulation of web-based discussion on this topic.

Ease up on the attitude old son.

You are wrong mate, and it's blindingly obvious why.

As Arabian says, this has been proven, there is a Mythbusters video on YouTube which I will link to later - your answer is incorrect.

You are wrong mate, and it's blindingly obvious why.

As Arabian says, this has been proven, there is a Mythbusters video on YouTube which I will link to later - your answer is incorrect.
Mythbusters on YouTube. THAT'S your argument? LOL.

And your experience as a pilot (which I fully believe by the way) is better? I'll take the video evidence of the plane taking off from a moving belt.

THE PLANE'S ENGINE IS NOT SENDING POWER TO THE WHEELS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha God it's morons like you that got people banned from muscletalk - I knew this was a bad idea... the fact that you have a background in aerodynamics makes this plain embarassing - if the answer was that simple why would I even ask the question genius?