shouldnt we traders be worried about algorithmic trading taking over?

40% of volume on nyse is auotmated..imo this is way to much it destorts the fundmentals and imo is why the markets can be so irratic at times

haha, yeh i suppose, lets see those algos handle a 1929

I bet they couldnt handle a 2008. i bet that was all manual. There was a point at the beginning of this year where you could just get short at the yank open then go out and come back to a nice meal ticket. Pity I was only demoing at that time.

algos would make any crash worse, seeing they basically chase the market with buy/sell programs driving the trend harder.. im actually implementing this into my trading, getting in when i believe the algos are gona jump in..working good so far!

haha, well im 15 and i just scalped me £14 with mah 2.2k account on those little intraday breakouts out on aapl.

algos would make any crash worse, seeing they basically chase the market with buy/sell programs driving the trend harder.. im actually implementing this into my trading, getting in when i believe the algos are gona jump in..working good so far!

This is what I've been trying to do but you need an understanding of what kind of stimuli the algos react to. Where are you getting this information?!

This is what I've been trying to do but you need an understanding of what kind of stimuli the algos react to. Where are you getting this information?!

dont need any infomation ive watched the markets long enough and seen enough things to make me go (what the ****) to realise whats going on

well genics, i use pretty technical strategies, but basic all the same, for example i usually use stochastics as buy/sell signals in a sideways markets, and use moving averages to decide and trade momentum, i also trade a lot of these well known patterns and strategies, e.g. head and shoulders, and a lot pf pivot points- how do you think this combination will fare against these algos?

you trying to tell me that just about every technical analysis book is now going to be considered 'outdated' thanks to these frikking machines?

you said that you yourself have recognised these patterns? well what happens after these patterns get well known, you could have more automated systems trying to follow the original system, creating a truly unpredictable market

Jammy, how is this any different from humans doing this? Everyone in the market, man or machine, has an opinion; the trick is to pick points where you believe the majority of the participants will be of the same opinion.