Sharescope

I hestiate to jump to the defence of a software company but if you buy a book you get one. You can lend it to someone but then you can't read it yourself unless you illegally copy it. You can't ask the book seller for two for the price of one so you can have one at work and one at home. I don't want my costs to rise because every user of my software is buying one and getting a second for nothing to give to a friend. I am sure there are exchange licence issues too.

Agreed - there is a balance to be struck between ease of customer use and costs for all concerned. And the exchanges T&Cs vary - but some are per machine, some per login, some per user, some flat fee....so it is a bit of a maze: you walk one way only to find another obstacle. Keeping it simple works on lots of fronts for most people. That said the Febo-type approach sounds like a sensible one that I would certainly like to explore here at ShareScope with the MD.

Has anyone tried the Alpesh Patel version which Sharescope are now marketing ? Genuine improvement or just an attempt at up-selling with no real consumer benefit ?

.....please follow your 'don't care' and move on........!!

......you are spending more time here 'not caring' about a programme that you don't want to use.....!!!!

Well I've been using Sharescope for 6 years. I now trade without any indicators using price and time and trend lines. Sharescope's charting for that is ideal.. very easy to use and bug free. I want software I load and run without any bugs whatsoever, no maintenance and consistent performance.

Indicators are imo a waste of time .. so Sharescope is ideal .. for me..

I have been in and out and in again with indicators. I use them to help me predict what the price is going to do. I never use them to trade. They are not a waste of time if you know how to use them. I got hooked on PnF some years back and still find that the best method for me.

There will always be an ideal program for each trader, the one they're happeist with. Sharescope is aimed fairly squarely at the Investors' Chronicle/Zulu type, it's somewhat cheaper than Company Refs (although, for the out and out Funnymental trader, I can't help but figure Refs is probably the way to go), and its charting has in all fairness improved a good deal over the years.
It's a fundamental trader's delight, with more than adequate charting, and hardly bank breaking for a monthly sub. Many of us on here are TA types, and would probably (sorry SGM) no more subscribe to Sharescope to cover RT trading than we'd buy a Nissan Micra for the refined high speed cruising...

Having handed out extra licenses for software at no charge myself I think it's fair to allow a user to run on two PCs at once - many traders have a desktop and a laptop, it is far from unusual to want to run two installs at once. However - that's for a program with no datafeed. Should exchanges count downloads etc and pass that on to companies, then you can't expect them to absorb the cost when you want extra copies - it is perhaps more realistic to have an 'extra copies' fee that is set at a 'cost covering' level - so say £15 or whatever for Sharescope (first install) then £8, £10, whatever per month for additional licenses to cover data fees for the extra installs.

If you can't afford an extra tenner for the second PC, then you are either very tight fisted or running a great deal more hardware/IT than your investments warrant.

Dave

ShareScopeGM said:
ShareScope has a one licence per machine policy – much the same as Microsoft and numerous other software vendors.

Not a good choice of example, there: I haven't read a MS license recently, but they certainly used to explicitly grant the right to install on desktop + laptop/work + home from one license, provided only one was used at a time.

Hi,
some Microsoft stuff allocates the license to the individual rather than the computer, so you are relatively free to swap Desktop to laptop (say), other programs it ties to an individual machine... not surprisingly this is the case for the OS, for example!
It's not uncommon to find licenses somewhat restrictive, I've always put that down to publishers trying to avoid illegal copying rather than trying to make each customer pay for extra copies - your anti piracy protection can make it difficult to 'okay' multiple installs.
It simply boils down to 'if Sharescope pay more when more PCs download' then passing that along makes sense, although I would have expected the exchanges to charge on a 'per customer' rate - if there is no extra charge to Sharescope for allowing Joe Bloggs to run on 2 PCs then only the piracy issue remains.
In fairness, although I don't think a blanket 'two PCs, two licenses, 2 full fees' is a particularly generous approach, it is one I've seen from other software vendors in other fields. Sadly.

This included in last night's update from Sharescope:

For a trial period, we have decided to extend our software licence to allow members to update ShareScope on TWO personal machines for use by the member only. This will cater for members who like to have a copy of ShareScope on a work PC or on a laptop for mobile use. We will review/change the policy in the New Year and introduce measures to control it if implemented. We reserve the right to change the policy at any time.

They're also finally talking about adding TA data mining

Last edited:
Pretty good result there then, yes?
Nice to see vendors responding to the users quickly - I know they've not always been too hot on that score in the past so it's good to see such a positive move. The onus is now, obviously, on the users to avoid abusing any chinks in the service to ensure the change is made permanent come review time in the New Year.

Agree. Much appreciated, but it does rather undermine their positioning that they couldn't do it because of their licencing agreement with the data providers. Was that untrue, or have they renogotiated their contract with their suppliers. If the second : well done. If the first : hmmmmmmmmm.

Whichever it's a welcome development.

Can anyone confirm whether the USB key installation still works? This is an attractive option for me.