Safe Haven

listen you bent shot i only posted up as there are a few wine lover on this thread, so do one.

i like a drop of decent stuff now and again and it never goes back in the spitoon. not a chance at that price. one thing i've learned over the years is the value of something relative to the price! i value getting drunk.

I'd spit it back in the bottle for next time at that price.
On the value: price front, the furthest I'll stretch is Remy XO. That is lovely and pi55es you right up.
Horses for courses I suppose.
No harm Roths I was only trying to wind you up. :)

Last edited:
After these premium plonks have been enjoyed etc. are the empty bottles worth anything ? I mean is there like a collectors market that scoops them up as a token of what once was sort of thing or do they just go to the recycling bins along with the £2.99 shiraz bottles ?

Just a thought that popped up...

People collect bottles, although the value will often be in the label (these are sometimes very beautiful).

Don't forget the case as well - the ends (or sides, depending on where all the info is stamped) are very good for decorating your cellar.

EDIT: My post has been edited (presumably by a mod) although this has not been acknowledged. Why this is so when it was crude but not bigoted or prejudiced in any way, whereas derogatory remarks about homosexuals have been allowed to stand, I do not know. Perhaps the person responsible harbours ill-feelings towards those of a different sexuality, perhaps there is some other explanation.

That aside, if anyone wishes to suggest that my post is "gay", first let me say "So what if it were" (this presumably is acceptable) and second I will shortly be contacting you by PM with an amusing message about your mother.

Last edited:
Gold - Whilst the physical commodity is fine, I don't have anywhere to store the gold securely - I could buy a gold fund but let's face it - 'electronic' gold is going to be the next financial embarrassment - Merril have already been sued for charging people storage fees for Gold that they'd sold but didn't actually own. My opinion is that much more gold has been sold electronically than actually is held by the sellers.

have a look at goldmoney . com and bullionvault

They both hold your metal in physical vaults and you can buy by the gram.

With goldmoney you can also buy silver and platinum, with bullionvault you can also buy silver.

have a look at goldmoney . com and bullionvault

They both hold your metal in physical vaults and you can buy by the gram.

With goldmoney you can also buy silver and platinum, with bullionvault you can also buy silver.

Really? You sure about that, have you been there, seen it, touched it...? What happens if Call me Dave and Gideon confiscate all gold to pay for Big Society..?

So did anyone go figure were all the clever/scared money has been (and still is) hiding? Not rocket science eh?

Really? You sure about that, have you been there, seen it, touched it...? What happens if Call me Dave and Gideon confiscate all gold to pay for Big Society..?

I'm not saying it's The Safe Haven, however it is a reasonable option.

You have physical gold against your name in a vault (apparently)
With Bullion Vault you can choose to have your gold in US, UK, Swiss vaults.
I can't remember where goldmoney keep theirs.

If there really is physical gold against your name I'd say it's a hell of a lot safer than paper ETFs.

If Cameron or Obama decide to confiscate gold then of course you're screwed but you shouldn't have your whole worth in there.

People collect bottles, although the value will often be in the label (these are sometimes very beautiful).

Don't forget the case as well - the ends (or sides, depending on where all the info is stamped) are very good for decorating your cellar.

EDIT: My post has been edited (presumably by a mod) although this has not been acknowledged. Why this is so when it was crude but not bigoted or prejudiced in any way, whereas derogatory remarks about homosexuals have been allowed to stand, I do not know. Perhaps the person responsible harbours ill-feelings towards those of a different sexuality, perhaps there is some other explanation.

That aside, if anyone wishes to suggest that my post is "gay", first let me say "So what if it were" (this presumably is acceptable) and second I will shortly be contacting you by PM with an amusing message about your mother.

Cheers .... I read your post earlier and it didn't come across as anything too extreme.... But that was some time back and only skimmed it.....

Are your posts getting some heavy pruning ?

If I was in a position to buy premium plonk, I quite like the idea of scrap booking the labels in a journal and doing a little write up, maybe of the experience, location, friends and any particular history of the grape and vintage etc... (yeah I know a bit gay, but lets call it creative writing or something, makes a change from being a P!ss artist at least necking £50 pound notes ! )

Doesn't quite have the same poetic pull with a bottle of Old English though ! :D

Still .... one day n all that.... neuf du pape 69 ... (soz spelling)

I do like the idea of people buying a bit of irreplaceable history and personality that is suggested you get from a bottle of the good stuff and to not appreciate that would be a bit of a waste I think......

Anyhow cheers for the bottle info & bottoms up !

Cheers .... I read your post earlier and it didn't come across as anything too extreme.... But that was some time back and only skimmed it.....

Are your posts getting some heavy pruning ?

If I was in a position to buy premium plonk, I quite like the idea of scrap booking the labels in a journal and doing a little write up, maybe of the experience, location, friends and any particular history of the grape and vintage etc... (yeah I know a bit gay, but lets call it creative writing or something, makes a change from being a P!ss artist at least necking £50 pound notes ! )

Doesn't quite have the same poetic pull with a bottle of Old English though ! :D

Still .... one day n all that.... neuf du pape 69 ... (soz spelling)

I do like the idea of people buying a bit of irreplaceable history and personality that is suggested you get from a bottle of the good stuff and to not appreciate that would be a bit of a waste I think......

Anyhow cheers for the bottle info & bottoms up !

An excellent hobby!

http://www.aspinaloflondon.com/esho...=ShoppingComparison&utm_campaign=social-books

5A9A3B41.jpg

I wouldn't know a fine wine if I tripped over it...'course I was drunk on a tasty German brew, which is why I tripped over the wine.

Peter

If you believe a collapse is coming, then it is more about survival than preservation of wealth.

You need to be as self-sufficient as possible in food, water and energy.

The more I think, the more agricultural land seems like a seriously good prospect. And not just land, but a working farm, with at least one spring.

Solar, wind, and maybe water-power.
Sheep are a relatively low-maintenance source of food and material for clothing.

But this is Zerohedge territory :|

EDIT: And seeing DT's subsequent post, definitely ZH territory.

You seem to have forgotten one important fact. If everything breaks down then we will have armed gangs in the towns and cities fighting for what they can pillage to exist. After robbing out their towns and cities they will roam into the countryside scavenging anything that that moves or grows.
Not a nice thought
An island in the Orkneys might be preferable except for the foul weather

NR mentioned deflation. This is one school of thought. The problem with the deflationary cycle is that it is fairly easy for governments to overcome it. Simply print & spend.

Others talk about 'the end' - I am not thinking of 'the end', I am thinking of countries inflating themselves out of debt. I did give hyperinflation as an example because it seems just regular inflation doesn't seem to get anyone's attention.

If REAL inflation was at 10% a year - that'd already be a HUGE worry to me and something I'd need to protect myself against BUT not with products issued by someone that could default (i.e. a government) or paper products that might not really be backed up by the commodity (i.e. various forms of Gold investment).

Let's face it - governments main focus is staying in power, everything they do, they do badly. As for the financial industry - you simply cannot trust them at all. Merril have already been caught charging people holding fees for Gold that didn't exist (which they'd also sold), so I still feel the need for a more solid footing...