Safe Haven

. . . but did I marry her for hers?
By the way, just in case anyone was wondering, she's trying desperately to get out of planning - it's doing her head in - so she doesn't want any more clients! She had to submit a bat survey with a planning application for a new build on a vacant plot of land the other day. Yep - you read that right. Mind boggling isn't it! The local authority point blank refused to accept the application without the survey, which cost something like £300 would you believe.
Tim.

That's completely...........batty :cheesy:

The lack of creative thinking on this thread is quite alarming, but not surprising...

Just buy a world index fund.

It's safe. You move with the world. That is safety, financially speaking, bitches.

You want physical safety? Piece of **** too. Hint: most undersiables can't swim ;)

Black Swan

What have you done for this forum ? apart from post lies/trash & ******** ?

What have you done for the members here apart from bost that you make such and such pips per day/trade with no proof.

Your one of the low life that just makes this forum worthless to the many members here willing to learn.

The fact is I know a lot about you, and you know nothing about me....after your PM to me. You have been eaten up becasue I know all about you, who you are, where you trade, and whats even funny...I know you're true result as if I had been sent them from a bud at you know who...

Talking about emotionlal response.... hows the view of the water today ?

You treat everyone here like you are a god, when you and me both know that your results tell different.... would you like a screenshot ?

Buddy...... you're a small boy in a mans world!

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a cracking 'ickle programme on C4 a while back, around the world in 80 trades, probably used a bit of poetic license for entertainment value but all the same, well worth a watch...good enthusiastic lad, very imaginative, ex analyst iirc...

The broker who bought coffee beans but couldn't sell them on, and also traded camels, and sold spicy sauce to indians?

There was also a programme about a woman who traded a sack of frankincense (which she helped to harvest) to finance her trip across the middle east. It was probably all rigged for the cameras, but interesting.

how about antiques

Good thought. And while you're at it, why not cover as many bases as possible?

Solid-gold antique pistols (working, with live ammunition). Anti-gold people say that gold bears no income/dividends, etc. But with a gold antique pistol, you could make a regular income holding up stagecoaches. And if anyone wants to steal your gold from you, well, you are already armed and able to defend yourself.

Meanwhile, it seems that clocks have tax advantages:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10618263.stm

I'd say cash is the safest haven you are going to get, even with any depreciation. If the entire world goes belly-up your local merchants wont care about gold....everyone takes cash.

Peter

I'd say cash is the safest haven you are going to get, even with any depreciation. If the entire world goes belly-up your local merchants wont care about gold....everyone takes cash.

Peter

You might want to read up on pre-war Germany.

Let's say you had $250,000 right now and that in 2 years time, a loaf of bread would cost $250,000 - would you still say cash was king ?

if you believe that is anyway likely buy a flour mill

It is an extreme example to get a point across, which appears to be lost on people here.

The USD has lost 30% of it's value against the Thai Baht in the time I've been living here.

How extreme does the move need to be before people realise that cash isn't a very efficient way to store value.

Are people OK with a 10% reduction in the value of their currency ?

Inflation erodes your currency holdings - how high does inflation have to be before people realise they are losing money.

In times of high inflation you are much better off to be in debt than to have savings. The value of your debts decreases in times of inflation as does the value of your savings.

The worlds economies are in debt up to their eyeballs - they all know they can inflate their way out of this debt and this is what central banks have done historically. Historically speaking we have levels of debt not seen in the west for a long time.

Germany between the wars is not a bad example. $250,000 for a loaf of bread is a possibility albeit remote.

if you believe that is anyway likely buy a flour mill

If you believe a collapse is coming, then it is more about survival than preservation of wealth.

You need to be as self-sufficient as possible in food, water and energy.

The more I think, the more agricultural land seems like a seriously good prospect. And not just land, but a working farm, with at least one spring.

Solar, wind, and maybe water-power.
Sheep are a relatively low-maintenance source of food and material for clothing.

But this is Zerohedge territory :|

EDIT: And seeing DT's subsequent post, definitely ZH territory.