S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2013

Well done to Sam and the other winners . . .Thanks to Attila for sterling work too
Yep, seconded. Or do I mean thirded? Anyway, well done everyone!
1,658 for the start of the final quarter for me please Atilla.
Tim.

Samspade79 is in the over-all lead thus far with Pat in joint lead on points. However, considering Sam has played 4 games less, thus over-all leader.

Interesting to note Weighted Average is around mid-point. :idea:

Not much difference amongts the top 5 places really.

(y)

Attachments

• 2013-QTR-3.JPG
    2013-QTR-3.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
thankyou for taking the time to do the running total Atilla, I thought I was about 10 point behind the front runners, So still hope for me yet.

Hrm... To go short or not? Telle est la question...

1680, signor Atilla. I believe we have a down week to look forward to.

Equity index futures fall sharply, USA Government shutdown approaches as lawmakers fail to broker agreement

Concerns that the budget stalemate, at the heart of the USA government, will affect economic growth caused the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index to experience its first weekly drop since August. The index dropped 1.1 percent last week. The rate on 10-year Treasury notes fell three basis points to 2.62 percent. Equity index futures took a substantial hit immediately the market opened Sunday evening; the DJIA down 0.72% - with the critical level of 15,000 back on the radar. The SPX was down 0.79%. European equity index futures also took an immediate hit, with UK FTSE down 0.77% and the MIB down 1.25%. The dollar and the euro fell sharply in early trade on Sunday evening, the greenback falling by 0.5% versus yen. Being perceived as a safe haven yen also rose versus the euro, loonie, Aussie, sterling and the Swiss franc amongst the major peers. In a USA government shutdown, essential operations with dedicated funding would continue. A shutdown could reduce fourth-quarter economic growth by as much as 1.4 percentage points according to economists. The biggest effect would come from the output lost from temporarily laid off workers.

Sunday's developments have raised the prospect of the first government shutdown since 1996, putting as many as 800,000 federal employees out of work starting Tuesday, Oct. 1. Mail delivery, air traffic control and Social Security payments would continue, three-quarters of Obama’s staff would be sent home. A motion was unanimously passed to ensure that armed forces would be paid. Looking towards the major high impact news event of the week and past the USA government impasse, the prediction is that employers probably added more jobs in September than the prior month and the U.S. jobless rate held at the lowest level since 2008, suggesting progress in the labor market is helping to sustain growth. The predicted gain in September payrolls would still be below the average 195,000 monthly increase in the first half of 2013. Through to August 2013, the U.S. has apparently recovered 6.8 million of the 8.7 million jobs lost as a result of the 18-month recession that ended in June 2009.

Hi everyone,

Here is the start of S&P500-QTR4 weekly competition. As per usual we have bullish to bearish forecasts.

Wishing you all good luck and prosperous trading. (y)

Attachments

• 12QTR4-041013a.JPG
    12QTR4-041013a.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 189
Here's hoping you guys had a better week than me.

1685 for me next week pls

By David Brett

LONDON, Oct (KOSDAQ: 039200.KQ - news) 4 (Reuters) - A lethargic FTSE 100 dragged its heels on Friday as investors waited for U.S. politicians to resolve a budget dispute which continues to hit stocks with large earnings exposure to the country.

Volumes were anaemic as investors chose to steer clear of the market due to the Congressional stalemate over the U.S. budget, which threatens growth in the world's largest economy.

And there was little sign of progress toward a solution ahead of an Oct. 17 deadline to raise the U.S. debt ceiling before the Treasury runs out of funds.

The Washington debt deadlock continued to hit stocks with a U.S. tilt.

Wolseley (LSE: WOS.L - news) , which has nearly half of its revenues exposed to the United States, fell as much as 1.4 per cent and is down nearly 8 per cent since mid-September when investors' focus began to focus on U.S. debt worries.

"Given the considerable negative consequences in case the political process completely breaks down, investors should ... follow events in the United States closely, so they can restructure their portfolios quickly if worse comes to worst," Carsten Klude, chief economist at M.M. Warburg, said.

Markets at the moment, however, remain relatively calm

Hi Guys,

The average pairs take top two places this week with samspade79 just missing top place by less 0.95 of a tick.

Also of interest; S&P500 closed down on the week 1.25 ticks. More closer to a tick than ticks. Considering the events in the US it is reluctant to go down. Looks like the bulls still have the bears by the tail. Or is it the other way round?

Pat was the closest to the closing figure 2.5 ticks away but direction was dreadfully very very so wrong. This could have seen Pat also take top spot off Sam should he have got direction right with 4 puans. Touch and go. Could well cost the title this year that call Pat...

Three lions this week are :cool::clap::cool:

....................Weighted Average.......Mean Average...................samspade79
SNF24BIZFX-682_1011123a.jpg

Attachments

• SP-20131004b.JPG
    SP-20131004b.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Turns out going short was the right call this week. Yay!

I think it's going back up, though. 1715 for me it is.

Hi Guys,

Pat was the closest to the closing figure 2.5 ticks away but direction was dreadfully very very so wrong. This could have seen Pat also take top spot off Sam should he have got direction right with 4 puans. Touch and go. Could well cost the title this year that call Pat...

]

Don't write me off just yet At. The fat lady hasn't finished her song.
To participate is more important than winning imho.