Robots

OK thats cool. I am open to many different ideas :)

Silver seems to be trending today, not sure how many trades we will get in after 12 noon eastern. The program really shines when we get in the market and it explodes without any retracement towards the entry. Then we can catch a $3k + move on 1 contract. (only happens 1-2 times a month though on average)

edit: I said $450 profit on those, but actually that is $475. Basically break even today with commission though.

Is your system trading in the real market? How do you automate that?

Is your system trading in the real market? How do you automate that?

Trades real money in the real market yes :) Tradestation securities let's you do automated trading.

Friday was not good. Finished for a loss of $700 overall. Will continue Monday on some more live calls if you want.

Trades real money in the real market yes :) Tradestation securities let's you do automated trading.

Friday was not good. Finished for a loss of $700 overall. Will continue Monday on some more live calls if you want.

Which broker do you use to trade in the market? Tradestation Securities?

Sorry, I didn't update yesterday. It was very busy for me on my site. Silver program was in hole pretty bad. Loss of $3700. That is the maximum loss for the day. However, this morning made up for it with a max profit at $3550. I will post a chart. If you want more live calls or to watch it, I have a live view of my screen at my site for free.

http://content.screencast.com/users...44-4454-9f0c-9ddd140d7d66/2011-03-08_0656.png

Is your algorithm something that you've backtested?

(By the way, I'm full of admiration for your posting of live trades, and reporting losses as well...)

Is your algorithm something that you've backtested?

(By the way, I'm full of admiration for your posting of live trades, and reporting losses as well...)

Kind of....you have to back test to a certain degree, but I don't sell anything that I haven't run with real money/real trades for at least 6 months. You will be amazed at what happens to the awesome backtesting results once you go live. They go opposite ha ha ha. Forward testing is best with any of them, as I am sure I probably don't have to mention that :) But the Silver has made consistent profit for a couple years actually. What will kill it is a dead range back and forth, or getting stuck the wrong way in a trend. Example...trying to short every dip, but trend is up all day long. Need some volatility. I trade the same way with every single market, just the program can trade it on a fast time frame, where I can not manually. That is why I did the programming in the first place, but it is also good to control yourself. You can't intervene and screw a good trade up....unless you cut the internet off :cheesy:

Interesting ... another chap on t2w uses a system in commodities which he hasn't backtested, but is currently returning good results. Whilst it's obvious that backtesting leads to all kinds of traps, e.g. curve fitting, how can you have confidence in your system if you haven't at least had a look to see how it would have performed in the past?

In other words, how can you continue trading the same system when it inevitably hits drawdown? Let's say you now have 10 losing trades in a row in silver (I hope not), will you continue trading the same system or abandon it?

I see what you mean. With the current settings I have looked back over the past 5 years worth of data and it didn't have a drawdown over $10k on a 2 lot basis. I thought you meant when developing my systems. If silver did get a drawdown much over $15-20k I would know by then something was wrong. I think because I know what is causing the losing trades I would notice a change in the market and have to adjust some settings or abadon it. I assume nothing is forever, but for all my programs, if it doesn't make your purchase price back in the first 2 months I refund all the money :) Doesn't say much if you are caught at the exact wrong time, but if that ever did happen I would work my hardest to make that person whole again. I should form an insurance policy haha :)