President Bush, Oil and the Saudi talks

Did you know, that despite being a well-known and respected intellectual, I don't know wtf a Saffa is?

Grant.

What do you mean "eh ???"? I like kids but I don't like cheeky ones.

Grant.

When and if the oil price comes off the top will be the time to turn the lights off. Consider the FTSE100, where will that be when the Two biggest companies in the make up start to book lower profits? The knock on effects will be horrendous when it all falls apart...and it will fall apart...the only question remaining is by how much !

Unless you are preparing for the worst now rather than in the months and years ahead, it will be too late.

Oil at $135 is of more risk to the FTSE. If Oil comes down, FTSE constituents who book a large percentage of profit in dollars would benefit. Inflation would ease, reducing the need to raise interest rates and reduce the pressure on consumers, airlines etc.

I don't really buy these 'run for the hills' outlooks. The global economy has survived through oil shocks and periods of slowdown and recession before and will do so again. There will be some victims from the decade of boom we've seen but that's life.

At what point in the last 20yrs are we supposed to have eradicated bear markets?

Oil at $135 is of more risk to the FTSE. If Oil comes down, FTSE constituents who book a large percentage of profit in dollars would benefit. Inflation would ease, reducing the need to raise interest rates and reduce the pressure on consumers, airlines etc.

I don't really buy these 'run for the hills' outlooks. The global economy has survived through oil shocks and periods of slowdown and recession before and will do so again. There will be some victims from the decade of boom we've seen but that's life.

At what point in the last 20yrs are we supposed to have eradicated bear markets?

But it would negatively hit the oil majors, which make up a decent percentage of the FTSE 100.

anyone who believes that the saudi and other arab purchases of banks, container ports, infrastructure, and other things that will eventually control the supply of demand etc is not a long-term security issue, is 100% deluded.
Despite the oft-touted status, these people are not "friends" of the West.
Remember this when drinking water is at $120 per barrel and the only people supplying it are the arab nations with desalination plants

Just thought you would like to know this. The US already has desalinization plants. There is a whole city with the biggest plant supplying the whole population of the city. Don't remember the city or the pop but it was not a little one. So the Arabs won't have us beat for water anyway. If we can get the politicians to stop drinking with the Arabs and taking oil profits maybe they would get some real work done here for this country.