Optiver Traders

Can anyone provide examples of the 2nd test (40 questions in 12 min)? It sounds like it's more complicated than the 1st test, but I don't have an idea of what it's like. Thanks.

Banks not hiring traders? Surely, the major IBs are still looking at grad intakes for next year? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a friend's been offered a position at Deustche (thought that was earlier in the year for next year's intake)

they came to my campus today to give their first numerical test - 80 questions in 8 minutes. They wouldnt say what the passing score was but no one in our group passed. You got 1 point for every correct answer and -2 points for every incorrect or skipped answer. I answered about 60 or so but must have made several mistakes.

I just completed the 1st test. Totally messed it up I think. A lot of questions involving fractions which I wasn't expecting e.g. (12/48) x (4/16) = ...

Not too hard when you've got more than an average of seven seconds to answer but I now believe the 8% pass-rate mentioned somewhere else in this website. The passing score is somewhere around 53 points I think - here's a little chart I did based on those figures. Unfortunately it didn't help me much in the test ; (

Attachments

• Optiver.jpg
    Optiver.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 2,238
I can confirm from people who are at Optiver in Amsterdam about salary. It is about 33k base. Another month is thrown on as some sort of odd Dutch tradition (about 3k on top then). There is a minimum bonus of 25k for surviving (and the churn rate is about 50% of the new guys) and then a performance bonus that comes around March each year.

Performance bonus is mostly tied to the firm, but since they've apparently had their best year ever - this first year guy was talking about his total compensation package being over 100k Euros. What with eurgbp being so close to parity, last print is 1.0236 spot on my bloomberg, it is an extremely attractive package.

Banks not hiring traders? Surely, the major IBs are still looking at grad intakes for next year? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a friend's been offered a position at Deustche (thought that was earlier in the year for next year's intake)

DB have been on a near complete hiring freeze for quite a while. They've recruited out of their interns only.

DB have been on a near complete hiring freeze for quite a while. They've recruited out of their interns only.

Is that internationally or just in London? I would've thought each of DB's national branch would set their own intake numbers.

At least London. Probably near internationally. There are exceptions like Moscow where their entire Russian unit got headhunt lifted into another local Russian investment bank for example.

Hi,

I'm going to take that test in the next week, I wonder what are the question paper and answering sheet like? Normal A4 paper with lattice? Should I be careful that don't write the answer in the wrong place?

Maybe I think too much...

hi, what about the last test, the harder mental arithmetic test, is it the same rule with the first test (no skipping, wrong answer for negative mark 2...)?

You have an interview with the HR woman and then 2 traders which will be at the same time. The HR woman asks you about yourself and why you want to be trader/ at optiver. The traders ask you more about yourself and about some other things, maybe a market news, they asked me about greeks but general consesus is that they dont. I had past experience with greeks so i guess that is normal maybe in this case. Also they will ask you some other common questions - i.e. what effects the price of an option.

Nothing killer, you do not need 2 months to prepare, go and do the interview, seriously an options trader needs balls so go and do it. Also this may help you I know for a fact they have a grad intake on Dec 1st, and as far as i know they do it twice a year so you may be waiting a while if you do not sign up now.

As for pay its 30000 euros basic plus some small benefits like free housing for 2 months, one month's salary as a summer bonus (which I dont understand, must be a dutch thing) and 25000 euros bonus guaranteed if you survive one year :)

Hi, m8, you are working at Optiver? Wow, that's cool!

The HR said, after the test the next stage will be a 15 min telephone interview, very informal one. May I ask what this telephone interview is about? How you did very well in those interviews? I had some interviews with HRs from those prop firms, but I failed them, I really don't know where I went wrong? Do you mind giving me some advices? Many many thanks and good luck with your job!

Hi, m8, you are working at Optiver? Wow, that's cool!

The HR said, after the test the next stage will be a 15 min telephone interview, very informal one. May I ask what this telephone interview is about? How you did very well in those interviews? I had some interviews with HRs from those prop firms, but I failed them, I really don't know where I went wrong? Do you mind giving me some advices? Many many thanks and good luck with your job!

I wonder the same questions, too! After the first test, what will the HR ask during the phone interview? Is it possible to fail the phone interview? or everybody gets the chance to the second and third exam?

(I got a phone interview this Friday, and I got no clue what are they going to ask?!)

Does anyone know about their latest format for the math test ? (i.e. 3 math tests like described above or has anything changed). Also, does Optiver pay for your interview visit if you are located out of state ?

Thanks.

help

i'm a comm law student in aus. i want to apply for optiver and tibra this year. prob is that i might now hav the backgrnd that they want. the vac work that i've done is all in fin related departments of top tier law firms (and hated it). is that going to look bad? i hv v good commerce marks, and some commerce-related experience (tutoring 1st years and a while in an office job)

also, do you know how many grad each take

regards

p.s. should i get my younger bro into finance (hes 14)? or should i back off for now?

Hey ppl,

I'm an Engineering final year student and have passed all the Optiver tests. I have an interview tomorrow morning and I was wondering what level of technical knowledge would I need to know? For all of those who've had interview experience at Optiver, please let me know. (Especially those in Australia)

Cheers,

Mik.

Hey ppl,

I'm an Engineering final year student and have passed all the Optiver tests. I have an interview tomorrow morning and I was wondering what level of technical knowledge would I need to know? For all of those who've had interview experience at Optiver, please let me know. (Especially those in Australia)

Cheers,

Mik.

hey mate how's your interview?

Was prepping for the speed math test and now find out, its only for citizens and permanent residents. Absolutely gutted!