Optiver Traders

no paper is provided but u can write on the question paper, i did and got through. DOn't skip questions and just go as quick as you accurately can. I got 73, 74 right, 1 wrong and know people who got higher so it is possible. 2nd one is like the first just harder but more time so easier. 3rd one is weird logic you can skip around do ones you find easiest first but look through its amazing how many can come to you after a while.

Thank you very much, I have the test this Friday, and just blank how to prepare, doing some practice test , would you advice me any thing on preparation please, will be great help.

Well, there is no well laid procedure. So there is not much I can suggest. I would say just make some random questions for yourself using some random number generating program in C++ or Java if possible. I wish you all the best anyway.

Do they provide paper for the calculations or have to do it mentally?

YES, paper IS provided to you. They provide both pencil and paper. They advise you not to write on the question paper. But even if you write on paper,invigilator does not mind. I actually solved on the question paper itself.

One more thing I will like to tell you. The answer sheet is a thick sheet made by joining two papers back to back. The front of the second paper which you cannot see as its covered by first paper, is actually a ditto copy of the first sheet with answers marked on it and when you fill in the answer in the answer sheet(front), because of carbon paper inside, your answer gets imprinted on the front of second sheet pasted on the back of first sheet. So in the nut shell your answer tends to be "permanently" imprinted. If you wish to change your answer, you need to use some other symbol so that examiner can understand from the second symbol that it is your new answer and not the first one.

Invigilator will tear the first sheet and see if the imprints of your marked answer overlaps the actual answer marked on the second sheet. If it does, then obviously your answer is right. This way she can grade all people within 15 minutes.

Don't go by what that guy "fredsmith" is saying. He seems to be some sadist trying to disorient people from giving false information. Anyway you will yourself see on friday how the paper looks like.

no paper is provided but u can write on the question paper, i did and got through. DOn't skip questions and just go as quick as you accurately can. I got 73, 74 right, 1 wrong and know people who got higher so it is possible. 2nd one is like the first just harder but more time so easier. 3rd one is weird logic you can skip around do ones you find easiest first but look through its amazing how many can come to you after a while.

You LOW LIFE, feel ashamed of yourself. Here are people who are going to give an exam with all seriousness and you have little qualms in lying to those people and advertising yourself of how you got 73. Shame on you. I am sorry for using foul language, but I do not have better words now.

Your lie is on the face.

I got 73, 74 right, 1 wrong and know people who got higher so it is possible

Unquote: Well if you solved 74 and did 1 wrong, so how come your marks be 73? Negative marking at Optiver is well known and even if there is negative marking of 1, your marks will be 72 and not 73. In the whole 22 years of Optiver's history I don't think there will be more than 5-10 people who would have scored more than 70. Forget getting 73, you did not even appear for the exam.

no paper is provided but u can write on the question paper

Unquote: Paper is provided, not only that, even pencil is provided. They advise you not to write on question paper. But if you still write, they don't mind.

2nd one is like the first just harder but more time so easier.
Unquote: Listen, second one is totally DIFFERENT from the first one. Its sequence series. Don't lie

3rd one is weird logic
Unquote: Ofcourse everything will appear weird if you have never experienced it. Though I did not reach third stage, but I guess its like first one and more harder and not Weird they way you are trying to MISLEAD people just for fun.

Go and exploit the ignorance of fools and not of knowledgeable.

I wonder what your motivation is in misleading people! I guess you know it well that you are quite incompetent enough not to even try appearing in exam and you are jealous of people giving atleast a try.

Last edited:
Hey Calm Down
When I did it in Australia we got a sheet which had both questions on the left and the mutiple choice answers on the right, no extra paper so we had to write on the questtion/answer paper. Sounds like in europe they run it slightly different.

Where did I say I solved 74, I said I got 74 right and 1 wrong meaning I did 75 questions.this was done at my university's career fair with the highest score getting an iphone, which someone else got.

3rd one was the sequence paper for us not the second, had some unusual second difference and other series that I had never seen before so just go to think abstract and its quite possible, its the only one without negative marking if you skip a question so helps if you skip around.

2nd one was 40 questions which are multistep calculations less of a time constraint than the other 2 and the only one I managed to finish, which other people managed as well though I made more errors on this paper.

74 wouldnt be so hard on an Optiver test; I met a lot ppl who can solve 2 digits by 2 digits within 1 sec.
Swedendenmark just relax a lil bit; I'm pretty sure in their 22 years history a lot of ppl got full scores; its really not THAT hard.

74 wouldnt be so hard on an Optiver test; I met a lot ppl who can solve 2 digits by 2 digits within 1 sec.
Swedendenmark just relax a lil bit; I'm pretty sure in their 22 years history a lot of ppl got full scores; its really not THAT hard.

Ohh really?? What makes you think that I will subscribe to your statement? Atleast a dozen optiver guys I met recently, hardly anyone could cross 67 and I guess that sample space quite justifiably epitomized optiver traders. There is a difference in solving in free time and that in exam. By the way I have not met anyone such a genius in my life who solves in 1 min. Your bragging claims doesn't make any sense. I am sorry for that.

Well you are short of claiming that you too are one of those who got 80/80. Who is going to check anyway!

Last edited:
Well ask these optiver guys what mark got the free Ipod, given out for the best mark in the Barrier Test at Australian University's Career Fairs. They went around 20 universitys and did the barrier test, with the best mark recieving an ipod.

If you can't mutiple 2 digits by 2 digits in 1 minute no wonder you didn't get past, but most of the 2digits by 2 digits were low square numbers or close to it. so if you knew the square numbers you could do it

Well ask these optiver guys what mark got the free Ipod,
Unquote: The answer to this question has nothing to do with your claims to have cracked the exam. Stop quibbling. Your marks are not SUBJECT to an ipod. These are all together two different issues and somehow you are trying to illegitimately draw out a relation between them. Well the question here is not if iPod is given at 75 marks or 80 marks, BUT if someone can score that high, especially you? I beg to differ with your claims. The reason which makes me refute your claims with intensity is that your comments give false picture to potential candidates which I don't think is a good thing to do. I have nothing against you, but your bragging.

If you can't mutiple 2 digits by 2 digits in 1 minute no wonder you didn't get past, but most of the 2digits by 2 digits were low square numbers or close to it. so if you knew the square numbers you could do it
Unquote: Its a general statement and no where it corroborates your claims to have scored 73. Your arguments are vague.
I just wonder how come a guy who has scored 73 marks so desperate to prove his worth on some forum on internet? has it something to do with his lack of confidence? or is it an important fodder for his ego? It further converts my initial suspicions to confidence that you are lying. By the way, which optiver trader has so much time into come here and try to convince people of his claims. I guess he should be more busy in other trading works rather than proving his point in a senseless debate.

Well Swedendenmark, it is you started this 'SENSELESS' debate. We all understand the test is hard to most ppl; but if you have been trained 73 isnt really that hard.
I can now see why you have been rejected; you're getting really panic only these little tiny things. You cant handle those so called PRESSURE.
You can check on Youtube and you'll find there are a lot of 5-6 yo chinese kid who can do 3 digits calculation within 1-2 sec. Check the facts yourself, then prove other ppl are wrong.
You're definitely not the smartest ppl in the world so you cant pass doesnt necessary = its hard?
No offense.
But jus calm down a lil bit. :)

I can now see why you have been rejected; you're getting really panic only these little tiny things.

I wonder why these "natural" comments came so late. You should have said it long back. Usually such comments are a common recourse. Never mind!! :LOL:

You can check on Youtube and you'll find there are a lot of 5-6 yo chinese kid who can do 3 digits calculation within 1-2 sec.

Well, we have genius all around the world and its not only Chinese kids, I have seen European kids and Indians kids also on sites like youtube who are very very smart. But one cannot use their smartness as an excuse to justify their own concocted game.

You're definitely not the smartest ppl in the world
Needless to say that. I am well aware of my moderate abilities.

No offense
I have nothing against you, so I have taken no offense personally. But I do take an offense in the brutal lies which get perpetrated for the sake of ones advertisement. You have to understand that there are people who come to trade2win to get useful information and we have a moral obligation to provide them a true picture.

I still wonder how come an optiver trader has so much time to come on this blog just to prove his point. I think its more a preserve of "failures" like me who have such a free time.
My comments are again not meant to cause offense and if they do, I apologise, but I stand by my words.

Dear Moderator,
If you find my comments abominable, please delete them.
Thanks

Where did anyone say they were an optiver trader?!?!?

My Experience with Optiver was at University Career's Fair, they tested people with the Barrier Test. It was a combined Question/ Answer Sheet. As you noted a seperate answer sheet consumes around 2 seconds a question so with answering at 6 seconds a question you can do all 80 questions but if you have a seperate answer sheet which takes an extra 2 seconds a question you can only do 60 questions. This was run with negative marking of -1 for each skipped or wrong answer.

the barrier test was run at 20 universities around Australia with the ones who made the cutoff getting invited in for further testing/interview at their office.Highest mark in barrier test won iphone, must be a company thing everyone there had iphones. I was invited in for further testing and had to forward my academic transcript. We had 26 people on my day and there was at least 2 extra days of testing/interviews.

We then sat the 2nd test which for us was 40 questions harder than the first test in 12 minutes. This one most people managed to complete in time. This one also had negative marking for skipped questions and wrong answer on a -1 scale.

The 3rd test was the sequence test which was 26 series in 30 minutes. Negative marking for wrong answers but nothing for skipped questions.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-firm/13390-optiver.html same kind of testing as these guys had

Everyone then got interviewed in turn and while waiting we stayed in the Games Room, quite awesome in Australia with Pool Table, Xbox on 4 combined tvs, car racing and foozball, with open fridge. In this stage we discussed our marks in the barrier test and there was 4-5 of us with marks above 70 so I highly doubt there was 'only 5-10 in whole 22 year history of optiver'

I was unsuccesful in the technical part of my interview and eventual feedback was I had high test scores but low academic marks and struggled in the technical part of interview. At the end of the day we had a tour of the office and then they gave 3 offers out of the group of 26. So getting to interview is not a definite job by any stretch. The next day they had another group of similar size which only had 1 job offer at the end.

Well Freddy, I apologise! As you mentioned, might be they follow a different pattern in Europe. I got knocked out in sequence series stage and the invigilator told me that hardly anyone scores above 60.
If there is no separate answer sheet involved and you have to simply tick mark the right answer, then definitely one can get above 70 and not only that, people can even get 80/80 and end up finishing before time finishes.
With the present style, I still think that its hard to get above 70 because of the time which is consumed in filling answers and one wrong fill will cost you -2. Two month back when i gave exam, wrong answer costs you 2 marks and not 1. So you effectively lose 3(-2-(1)) marks.
I apologise again. Sorry.

In the words of the optiver recruiter - my perfect trader will get 53/53 in the time rather than 79/80. :)

I was unsuccesful in the technical part of my interview and eventual feedback was I had high test scores but low academic marks and struggled in the technical part of interview. At the end of the day we had a tour of the office and then they gave 3 offers out of the group of 26. So getting to interview is not a definite job by any stretch. The next day they had another group of similar size which only had 1 job offer at the end.

I made it to the HR interview, then had to wait until the next week when they called to say I didn't make it to the technical interview. =( I'm familiar with my greeks, combinations and spreads etc ... sad that I didn't have an opportunity at the technical interview ... and apparently you cant apply a second time even though you passed the barrier test before

If it makes you feel any better a job offer might not be worth anything.. if they get fined for market manipulation then they could suffer severely!

If it makes you feel any better a job offer might not be worth anything.. if they get fined for market manipulation then they could suffer severely!

Shrug, a job offer still beats potential unemployment on graduation. The no second chance does disappoint me though, since a trait of traders should be perseverance as markets don't always move your way even when you are supposedly at an advantage.

Hehe applying to Optiver is kinda like an american call option =P Don't exercise early unless you're well prepared for the tests. Seriously, ability to solve these basic math type questions can be trained from lots of practice. Imagine if you practiced your 17's times tables as much as your 2's time tables. You'd be able to recite them just as quick. Unfortunately to me, doing all the basic math practice didn't seem like a very efficient use of time. I reckon time could be better spent reading the financial papers, or modeling a monte carlo simulation in matlab.

From what I heard at a career fair, one of the staff mentioned that their capital is about 500mil (forgot the currency). unless it's a really really big fine ...

I guess it depends on the size of the unfair advantage gained... and whos proved liable.

You are right in these markets its best to have an offer. And an offer from optiver is better than one from some of the what you would describe a large corporates like Lehman. I feel for the grads who started there only 1 month ago. In bear markets optiver is a far more robust company.