Opening SB account with no income

tomorton

Guest Author
Has anyone any recent personal experience of applying for a SB account with no visible means of steady income they could declare (salary, pension etc.)?

Was the applicaiton accepted? Are any special conditions applied?

I think that you need a bank account. Can you have a bank account with no income? It amounts to the same thing.

Cheers people. The SB firms certainly do ask if you have an income when you're applying to open an account. But has anyone here actually applied for a SB account and declared zero income?

Having a bank account is also a necessity, at least for when you wish to make a cash withdrawal, as this will need to be handled in compliance with money laundering regs, but having a bank acocunt without income is not a problem.

As ther othjer person said, lie. But make it reasonable, so £40,000. They won't and cannot check.

I don't think it would be illegal to lie about your income when opening a spreadbetting account unless you're applying for a credit account.

FSA regulations state that they must ask for your income to check if spreadbetting is right for your financial circumstances.

I opened an account with City Index and declared I had no income (I'm a student), they approved my account after I sent proof of my address and ID, so did SpreadCo.

I've found Tradefair, ETX Capital and MF Global Spreads to be more difficult than the others to open an account when income and savings are low.

I was not allowed to open an account with IG. A guy from IG called me after my application and started to laugh at me when I told him that I was a poor collage student with no income.

Sorry to hear that Falken, though I am sure you are morally the stronger for not having lied.

It's a simple equation folks

Lie = open spread bet account

Tell the truth = refused

Why so much debate, it's not as if you're commiting any fraud.

But if the OP wants to remain 'clean and pure' then no spread betting for him........

Why so much debate, it's not as if you're commiting any fraud.

It maybe if you lose more than the money in your account and cant afford to pay it back?

But Limited risk account is ok, as you cant ever go 'overdrawn'.

On lying to SB firms and others to open an account - I do think that the obtaining of services by deception is a criminal offence. In this particular case, the SB firm would end up with not just the documentary proof of an untruth but also my money. So I don't think I'll be going down that road.