New PC system

Chump,

I run full scans on my PC once a week. I use three bits of useful 'defence' software, all free: AVG Free Edition Virus Scanner, ZoneAlarm firewall and AdAware SpyWare detector. Since using those three I've never had a serious problem and AVG seems much less resource intensive than when I used to have Norton which seemed to hold my PC up no end (although to be fair I've also upgraded RAM since then).

I don't like Defender - it's spyware element has never picked anything up, whilst the AdAware software routinely picks up 100+ items of 'malware' on each weekly run.

And you're right - helpful threads like this restore one's faith in T2W - when I was looking to buy a new PC helpful advice on these boards suggested a simple RAM upgrade which did the job nicely at a fraction of the cost.

Atilla said:
You have no idea stoic and when you are giving advice you have to be aware of other peoples environments, usage and modes of behaviour. Not everyone is the same. Nor do they have your level of knowledge.

Any computer consultant / expert / techy call yourself what you want - who does not recommend AntiVirus, Firewall and Backup importance to their users in this day and starts giving off the kind of advice you are dishing out leaves me astonished.

dcraig1 is 100% right in what he says. You are 100% wrong in what you say and believe about virus / hacking threats.

I gave the advice of my own accord, and in good faith. This is not a mission critical thread where lives are at stake, if it were only fully qualified professionals would be allowed to participate.

For what it's worth I have my ADSL running for over 7 years now with no hacking/viruses coming in unless via the usual route (some friends surfing dodgy sites without my knowing).

But I will concede fully that yes, I am wrong, but from my experience I've never suffered from these hacks/viruses before.

Maybe I'm lucky, or just maybe I set myself up to be almost worthless to an potential hacker or virus. I mean what can they do:

1) put executables that fire up silly browser windows and advertise stuff? Don' know why people bother to write this cr*p since it just p*sses the potential buyer off, thus defeating their purpose. Or maybe there are people out there who gain sadistic pleasure in getting your computer to waste cpu cycles?

2) file share without my knowing? this happened at work once, very funny too, they got through the ftp port. You'd know it was happening since your internet connection starts getting slow for no reason . .

3) sniff my credit card details when I buy something online? Yes this happens, hasn't happened to me in all these years . . and if it does I would know why

4) hack into username and passwords, I mean what can they do to my computer? I'd be rather flattered if they did - and maybe impressed!

I agree, totally bad advice for not using a firewall. I knew that there were these port issues, but never gave them much thought because in my experience the virus/hacking issues are cat and mouse in nature and I've never experience any of the problems that these anti virus programs claim to solve.

But the point you make is the problem I see with IT at the moment - people only want to know if it matters to them. And ADSL suppliers are sometimes really nice and do some behind the scenes work to block ports or even have a firewall at their end as well before it even reaches you. It's all a tedious mess to sort out what's going on.

And no, I don't backup, but nowhere did I say you shouldn't. My data's not valuable, and I take it if you want to trade really well all the skills should be in your head anyway, the computer is just a tool to chart, log and place trades.

Of course if I were head of IT security for a company and millions were at stake it would be different.

There are now millions/billions of computers on the internet, and god know how many von Neumann probe like viruses out there trying to replicate themselves onto a host and fire off again. Maybe I got jammy and you and your friends should sent some down my way :cheesy: :cheesy:

Run a check

For a free comprehensive check of your PC's security, go to www.grc.com and click on Shields Up.
Then scroll down the next page and click on Shields Up again.
It will give you a table of checks that it can perform.

E.g. for File Sharing you want it to tell you this: -
Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

etc etc

Can't remember who I got this from, but pretty sure it was on T2W.
Glenn

Glenn said:
For a free comprehensive check of your PC's security, go to www.grc.com and click on Shields Up.

Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

etc etc

Glenn

no, never had those problems
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

if you were a burglar, would you care to rob a downtrodden house, almost derelict and hardly habited, or a nicely socked mansion?

Glenn said:

etc etc

Glenn

Very useful site.

I ran all the checks and was happy to know my systems passed. However, I do have FWall enabled and configured at my LinkSys Wireless router + all PCs in the house F-Secured.

By the way anybody out there using Wireless routers should be aware they are very easy to connect to if some basic security configurations aren't carried out.

My neighbours use them with standard passwords and no security. When I was trying to encrypt my LinkSys and setup the security I connected to theirs automatically. Picked up an IP addressed doled out by their DHCP and that was it.

Also some printers now come with wireless connectivity. Its quiet possible to browse to the ip address of printers and do fancy tricks with them.

Just think how easy identity theft and mail interception can be.

stoic said:
no, never had those problems
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

if you were a burglar, would you care to rob a downtrodden house, almost derelict and hardly habited, or a nicely socked mansion?

Hi Stoic,

Have you ever ran a virus or spyware program on your PC?

Do you share files or disks with your friends?

Do they have any protection?

Do you and your friends use email?

In this day and age I would be most surprised if you haven't come across any viruses at all? Perhaps you have but don't know about it?

You sound like a very active PC user so I'm surprised you don't use protection and you are clean? If I was a gambling man I'd bet you were infected at some time or another but you don't know it.

If I was a junior hacker like a burgler I'd pick the easier target. You need to understand hacker mentality. They do it because they can. The top ones might like the challenge of big business but for junior hackers they couldn't give a chit what your PC is to them it's an IP address with Windows on it.

Did you know that new companies that are promoted to the FTSE100 or FTSE250 are usually the ones to get hacked. They are usually small businesses that are growing and their security usually isn't up to scratch. There are people out there who target such companies as a matter of business. In the hacking community it becomes the game. See who can get in first. You may not be a big business but you can be the practice.

If I ever hacked on to your PC, I would probably like to erase all your MP3 files and copy my naff ones in their place just for fun. Perhaps delete your photos and copy some jack ass photos on their for fun.

I may also install a bot for starters and start attacking people who upset me by running a program from your computer. I can use your computer to target the new FTSE company for example or their website.

I probably install a key logger find out your userid and passwords and start spicing up your social life with some complexities.

I may send infected emails coming from your email address to all your contacts. They could be your friends, suppliers or customers. I bet they'll be pleased with you.

I'd probably look into your bank accounts and transfer some monies to the NSPCC.

Find out your trading account name and login details login and carry out a few risky trades just for the fun of it. If I win I'll send the monies to the NSPCC and if I lose have a good hearty laugh.

If you have an eBay, Paypal or Scan, eBuyer purchases, I could get some free gear using your credentials. Set you up quite nicely for fraud perhaps.

If I can't do much on your PC because it's a pile of pooh with lots of holes in it I may copy Code Red on to it just to **** off anybody who hasn't patched their web servers and let some people knock on your door. If I'm lucky your ISP can cut off your connection.

You see the list is endless and it will be all great fun. Some university geek in Asia or Russia practicing his visual basic. You can be somebodies homework.

I'm just trying to raise the awareness of threats out their so you can be better prepared. That's it from me choice is yours.

I'm sorry if I have upset you and anybody else. Please don't take it so personaly. ;)

My intentions are pure and sincere. Honest gov...

Yes, I ran those tests and then I got an email from Fort Knox asking if I'd store some of their gold (they obviously have not checked their stocks any time lately.).
I run a Netgear DG834G. How would I find out if this had been firewalled , and indeed how would I go about doing that. For all I know the guy who installed it might have alraedy done it.

Is there also any way I can protect my ISP address ? (sorry TW2 - promise not to have more than 50 nicks) ...I was shocked to see the results on that test and how easy it appeared to recognise my pc

chump said:
I run a Netgear DG834G. How would I find out if this had been firewalled , and indeed how would I go about doing that. For all I know the guy who installed it might have alraedy done it.

Chump
There should be a netgear icon on your desktop.
Click on it and you will get a login panel.
You'll need user ID and password.
There is a default user and password - PM me if you need it.
This will get you into the Router confiuration screens.
Click on Firewall rules on the left side of the screen.
Takes you into the Firewall config screen.
If in doubt, don't change anything !
"This feature is for Advanced Administrators only! Incorrect configuration will cause serious problems."

Glenn

chump said:
Yes, I ran those tests and then I got an email from Fort Knox asking if I'd store some of their gold (they obviously have not checked their stocks any time lately.).

Is there also any way I can protect my ISP address ? (sorry TW2 - promise not to have more than 50 nicks) ...I was shocked to see the results on that test and how easy it appeared to recognise my pc

I have a Netgear DG834G. It is an ADSL Modem/Router/Firewall. There is inbuilt firewall functionality. Because the Netgear does NAT (Network Address Translation), there is by default no inbound route to your PC or PCs via the router from the external internet. You will have to explicitly set up a route if you wanted to enable this - for example if you wanted to run your own web server.

You can check the Netgear's firewall rules by logging onto the Netgear with a web browser. The URL will probably be http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1. Username "admin" password "password". Click on the "Firewall Rules", you should see "BLOCK ALWAYS" as the configured action for inbound services.

So under inbound and action it says "block always" ...do I assume this si the firewall enabled then ?

chump said:
So under inbound and action it says "block always" ...do I assume this si the firewall enabled then ?

Yes - the inbound firewall is enabled.

and if I may pick you brain one last time ...how do I now change the user and password on that Netgear having just made it clear to the world what it is ?

chump said:
and if I may pick you brain one last time ...how do I now change the user and password on that Netgear having just made it clear to the world what it is ?

"Set Password" menu option. You should be OK, because the router only accepts admin logins from the LAN side (as opposed to the internet side) unless you enable remote management, which should be turned off by default.

In any case there are squillions of these things floating around, so I don't think I gave away any secrets by posting the defaults here.

No, I wasn't suggesting you were disclosing 'secrets' in trying to help me..that would be a crass way of saying thanks for the help. I just wanted to be sure I was secure on this router and you explanation of how it works suggests that I am.
Thanks again .

chump said:

Depends whether any of the Enable boxes are ticked or unticked
Any(TCP), Any(UDP), Free Space.

Glenn

Atilla said:
Hi Stoic,

Have you ever ran a virus or spyware program on your PC?

Do you share files or disks with your friends?

Do they have any protection?

Do you and your friends use email?

In this day and age I would be most surprised if you haven't come across any viruses at all? Perhaps you have but don't know about it?

You sound like a very active PC user so I'm surprised you don't use protection and you are clean? If I was a gambling man I'd bet you were infected at some time or another but you don't know it.

If I was a junior hacker like a burgler I'd pick the easier target. You need to understand hacker mentality. They do it because they can. The top ones might like the challenge of big business but for junior hackers they couldn't give a chit what your PC is to them it's an IP address with Windows on it.

Did you know that new companies that are promoted to the FTSE100 or FTSE250 are usually the ones to get hacked. They are usually small businesses that are growing and their security usually isn't up to scratch. There are people out there who target such companies as a matter of business. In the hacking community it becomes the game. See who can get in first. You may not be a big business but you can be the practice.

If I ever hacked on to your PC, I would probably like to erase all your MP3 files and copy my naff ones in their place just for fun. Perhaps delete your photos and copy some jack ass photos on their for fun.

I may also install a bot for starters and start attacking people who upset me by running a program from your computer. I can use your computer to target the new FTSE company for example or their website.

I probably install a key logger find out your userid and passwords and start spicing up your social life with some complexities.

I may send infected emails coming from your email address to all your contacts. They could be your friends, suppliers or customers. I bet they'll be pleased with you.

I'd probably look into your bank accounts and transfer some monies to the NSPCC.

Find out your trading account name and login details login and carry out a few risky trades just for the fun of it. If I win I'll send the monies to the NSPCC and if I lose have a good hearty laugh.

If you have an eBay, Paypal or Scan, eBuyer purchases, I could get some free gear using your credentials. Set you up quite nicely for fraud perhaps.

If I can't do much on your PC because it's a pile of pooh with lots of holes in it I may copy Code Red on to it just to **** off anybody who hasn't patched their web servers and let some people knock on your door. If I'm lucky your ISP can cut off your connection.

You see the list is endless and it will be all great fun. Some university geek in Asia or Russia practicing his visual basic. You can be somebodies homework.

I'm just trying to raise the awareness of threats out their so you can be better prepared. That's it from me choice is yours.

I'm sorry if I have upset you and anybody else. Please don't take it so personaly. ;)

My intentions are pure and sincere. Honest gov...

yes, and I heard about all of this and it's an outright laugh. But then again most people don't view their computers like I do. Like I said if I were a business I would be more stringent.

There's also this thing I forgot to mention about viruses. The virus and anti-virus game is of course an arms race. Anti-virus writers can't anticipate accurately what the new viruses are going to be like, what happens is they come about, some poor sods have to take the hit and the anti virus companies write a fix. Basically someone has to get affected before the problem is acknowledge ;)

You will not believe the amount of time I've had to reinstall my entire machine due to updating the graphics driver and how it f*cked up the dual screen setup.

By the way, apart from browser, if I block ALL ports (apart from 80 for internet) I basically wouldn't be open - or is there other ways that I am not aware of?

stoic said:
yes, and I heard about all of this and it's an outright laugh. But then again most people don't view their computers like I do. Like I said if I were a business I would be more stringent.

There's also this thing I forgot to mention about viruses. The virus and anti-virus game is of course an arms race. Anti-virus writers can't anticipate accurately what the new viruses are going to be like, what happens is they come about, some poor sods have to take the hit and the anti virus companies write a fix. Basically someone has to get affected before the problem is acknowledge ;)

You will not believe the amount of time I've had to reinstall my entire machine due to updating the graphics driver and how it f*cked up the dual screen setup.

By the way, apart from browser, if I block ALL ports (apart from 80 for internet) I basically wouldn't be open - or is there other ways that I am not aware of?

Hi Stoic,

The way it works is you have a private (your home network) and a public network (outside world). These are in effect the different IP addresses as determined by your subnet masks.

You need to:

Rule Source Service Destination
Allow Privat Network -> Any Public Network (Known as dirty side)
Deny Public Network -> Any Private Network

You wouldn't need to select ports / services on a one by one basis. You would only do this if you wanted to allow specific public network users to connect to your internal networked PCs or servers really. Alternatively if you wanted to restrict access to the outside world on a service based basis. Like you may allow browsing but prevent MSN Messenger services.

Firewalls have what's termed an implicit rule where if the connection is initiated internaly and is allowed out then responses to that session will be automatically allowed back in to your network - source device.

This is why even if you have a firewall at your router you should also have anti-virus + spyware and other protection on your PC to monitor what Active-X or Java-Script enabled webpages are doing on your desktop.

Firewall on your ADSL is good and strongly recommended for starters but not the end of the road.

Atilla said:
Hi Stoic,
This is why even if you have a firewall at your router you should also have anti-virus + spyware and other protection on your PC to monitor what Active-X or Java-Script enabled webpages are doing on your desktop.

Using Firefox with NoScript extension is not a bad idea either. It is quite surprising how infrequently JavaScript is actually needed. NoScript blocks it by default and you can temporarily or permanently enable it for specific domains. Many web pages are improved by removing the junk.