MyDoom Email Virus

I'm runnin AVG Pro V7.0 with a tweice-daily auto-check for update so I feel reasonably OK.

First I realised there was a problem was when my emails weren't being received and I wasn't receiving anything like the number I normally get. My ISP (Eclipse) told me there were aware of the MY DOOM virus and they automatically check all emails thru their servers for this (and other) viruses.

So, not so much of an infection problem - more one of a massive delay in having my outbound emails hit their target and getting my incoming ones on my secure L/T.

I guess this is a small price to pay.

...quantity of e mails today has remained same as normal...on all of my e mail accounts at home network, incl kids perhpas lucky and also Norton is protecting????...

today updated the file for W32.Novarg.A@mm - also known as 'mydoom' ......

MyDoom Boom Boom

Hi Zambuck,

Luckily, I didn't get any "unusual" emails today either! :D

Although, I did get this from Woody at Woody's Window Watch - it's a bit of a rant really: this is what he says:

MyDoom Boom Boom

By now you no doubt know about the latest worm to hit the streets. McAfee calls it MyDoom . So does F-Secure . Symantec/Norton calls it Novarg .

MyDoom's remarkable not because of its technical acumen. This sucker is in the process of clogging up all the email servers around the world because of its remarkable 'social engineering' - in other words it is packaged in a way to make unwary people open it. It has four characteristics that make it interesting / dangerous, depending on your point of view:

First, unlike the quasi-literate cretins who have been spawning worms lately, MyDoom's creator had the presence of mind to create a plausible story to go along with his dirty package. In this case, the worm arrives with a message that says (s p a c e s added to keep from triggering dumb spam filters):

Mail t r a n s a c t i o n failed. Partial message is available.

The message contains Unicode c h a r a c t e r s and has been sent as a binary attachment.

The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII e n c o d i n g and has been sent as a binary attachment.

At least at first glance, each of those messages seems reasonable enough to warrant looking at the attachment. In many cases, the attachment won't fool any of you because you have Windows set up to show you file name extensions (as we've recommended in Woody's Watch time and time again), and you know that double-clicking on a .bat, .cmd, .exe, .pif, or .scr file is just about as stupid as pointing a loaded gun at your foot. Besides, if you use Outlook 2002 or 2003 with the default security settings, you won't see the file anyway.

But in some cases the attached infected file is stored in a zip, and that's a horse of an entirely different color. Zips get through Outlook - they're innocuous; in and of themselves, zip files can't infect you. But the file(s) that sit inside the zip can be infected, and that's how MyDoom will creep (I use the term intentionally) into any system. That's MyDoom's second interesting twist: burying the infected file in a zip, so it'll get through many systems. Don't immediately panic, you have to open the attached zip file then extract and run the file enclosed within the zip.

The third twist is a real killer. MyDoom packs an infected file into a zip, but it gives the infected file a very long name. I got one infected message with an attached zip that contains a file called akhr.doc <followed by a LOT of spaces> .exe. There were so many spaces that when I opened the zip, Windows didn't even show me the .exe file name extension. (Of course, if you double-click on the akhr.doc<spaces>.exe file, it's run directly as is any other .exe file.) Another infected message arrived with a zipped copy of readme.txt <a LOT of spaces>.exe, another with body.txt <spaces>.scr, another with data.htm<spaces>.exe, and so on. I was quite astounded to see that Windows Explorer, when it opens a zip, doesn't always show the file name extension if the file name is long enough.

The fourth twist? The antivirus software sites are reporting that the worm not only spoofs return addresses - old-hat in this day and age - but it also spoofs Windows icons. I haven't received any messages with spoofed icons, but there are examples on-line of files called document.pif and document.scr that have the icon normally associated with text files. What's wrong with that? Folks who refuse to make Windows show file name extensions will be in for a very nasty surprise if they click on one of those "document" icons and get infected.

You have to force Windows to show you file name extensions. Hiding file name extensions is one of the worst design mistakes Microsoft has ever made, and millions of their customers have paid the price for that decision.

Any way, MyDoom opens a back door on your system that would (at least in theory) allow a cretin to take over your machine, and/or download and execute any program. (I say "in theory" because at this point there must be ten million computers with open back MyDoom back doors; what are the odds somebody's going to pick yours?) Between February 1 and 12, infected systems automatically launch a distributed denial of service attack on www.sco.com , a company of scum-sucking... aw, don't get me started. MyDoom scans your files for email addresses and sends out copies of itself, spoofing the return address, and it puts itself in your KaZaA out box. MyDoom is supposed to stop spreading all by itself on February 12.

The Bottom Line
The bottom line is so important that I put it on the yellow tear-out "cheat sheet" at the front of Windows XP Timesaving Techniques For Dummies:

Buy, install, update, and religiously use a major antivirus package. All of the major packages now have MyDoom/Novarg filters (although it must be said that it took 12 hours for the antivirus companies to respond to MyDoom)

Force Windows to show you file name extensions. If you've ever doubted the necessity, MyDoom's ability to spoof icons should give you much pause.

After you can see file name extensions, watch out for suspicious extensions in e-mail attachments. I have a complete list in the book.

Never open or run a file attached to an e-mail message until you (1) contact the person who sent you the message and verify that he or she specifically sent you the file, and (2) save the file on your hard drive, update your antivirus software's signature file, and run your antivirus software on the file.

Now we all get to watch the Internet slow to a crawl - again - and sift through hundreds of infected messages - again.

As well as those wonderfully helpful automated messages from antivirus packages telling us that we sent infected files - again - when of course we didn't: the worm itself did the dirty deed - again.

Then there's all those failed delivery messages, where worm-generated mail didn't get through to the intended recipient, so the mailer daemon wrote back to me and let me know - again. Gad.

Just delete all these messages, the infected ones and the misdirected replies. The FROM addresses are faked so there's no point in trying to chase down the source.

On top of all that, again, email generally will slow down. Even this issue of WWW will arrive later than we'd like as it gets caught up on servers trying to deal with greatly increased email traffic.

A real nastie! :devilish:

HTH though? :)

Cheers

Mayfly

Last edited:
Folder could not be displayed
Outlook Express could not open this folder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible causes are:

Low disk space.

Low memory.

I have the above message in my inbox folder. I cannot receive messages but I can send them. Could this be something to do with this virus ? The problem occurred late last night.

If anyone can help me out on this I would be grateful.

I think it's just a standard system message.

Never happened b4. I can send emails but not receive.

Very odd

It sounds a bit dodgy, I don't know enough, you'll have to wait for an expert.

I've had that message before Dow Dog, I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with a virus - it may genuinely be an issue with your system resources. Maybe you have a memory leak in one of your programs thats hogging your cpu or all the memory, or perhaps you're running low on disk space. Sounds like a clean reboot should probably fix it.

You are probably right Sharky.

I have just set up my Outlook Express account on my daughter's computer ( which is networked to mine ) and all my emails came thru from yesterday without any probs.

There were a couple of dodgy "virus" emails there which I deleted without opening.

I then went back to try Outlook Express on my own computer but without success.

Maybe I'll just try a reboot.

Check your outlook express settings - mine had been totally screwed (not by MYDOOM - but I have no idea by what).

My POP3 and SMTP server names had been changed to 127.0.0.1.

My account name had the pop3 sever name appended to it after a forward slash.

The POP3 server port had changed from 25 to 5101 and the SMTP server port from 110 to 5100.

My advice (if you can without too much grief) is to delete your email accouint and recreate it.

If that's simply impossible (!) just make the changes.

I'm now getting about 1 infected email a minute - at least in the last 15 mins.

Apparently 1 in 12 of emails now contain the message:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/tech/cst-nws-worm28.html

The FBI have launched a probe:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-980551,00.html

And this just got posted on the scotsman.com news website..

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2462586

Mydoom Virus Spreads Further

By Graham Hiscott, Consumer Affairs Correspondent, PA News

The fastest-growing e-mail virus ever showed little sign of slowing its worldwide spread, experts said today.

MessageLabs, an Internet security firm, said it had detected 1.9 million copies of the Mydoom virus since Monday lunchtime.

Millions more computers have been targeted by the virus – or worm as it is technically known – in an estimated 174 countries.

“The virus follows the sun,” said Natasha Staley, information security analyst at MessageLabs. “It came from Asian, spread to the US and moved onto Europe. It is now on its second global run.”

The Mydoom worm has spread even faster than last year’s damaging Sobig virus.

Sobig was detected in one in every 17 e-mails at its peak compared with one in 12 for Mydoom, according to MessageLabs.

Detecting the worm is made harder because it is designed to spread to as many computers as possible by “harvesting” addresses on each terminal it successfully infects.

The ultimate aim of the worm appears to be the web site for US software giant SCO, which is the middle of a dispute over the use of coding in the Unix operating system – a competitor to Windows.

The ultimate aim of the worm appears to be the web site for US software giant SCO, which is the middle of a dispute over the use of coding in the Unix operating system – a competitor to Windows. [/B]

....hmmm wonder who is the creater of this worm....???

Hi Mayfly

Very interesting write up regarding this nasty worm...thanks for that....

and to think one person writing few codes can make million pounds worth of damage to the world economy in few hours...

They all seem to spread from east and find their way to west...perhaps these persons should be employed as software writers..!!

regards

Apparently SCO are trying to get all other Unix vendors, and anyone using Linux to pay them a royalty.

They have basically annoyed a rather large open source community of nerds.

JonnyT