my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chartgame is pretty cool - I just blew 25%. :cry:

But it's not the market. You should get a paper trading account, like IB where you can do simulated trading with a paper trading account and the only difference is the money isn't real of course, and sometimes your order executions are not what the real market would give you. But it's a whole new kettle of fish.

Yeah, I have it and I use it. But it's too boring. Chart game is easier, I know, but it's the only simulation that I can do, so it's better than nothing. IB paper trading would be the best and I have it, but it's so boring that I can't do it, so I am happy with the chart game for now. As we say in italy, "the better is the enemy of the good". I don't want to fail because I have to do things perfectly from the start. I'd rather keep doing the chart game, which is reasonable, than trying to do IB paper trading and quit. It's close to going to the gym. You quit pretty soon because of how boring it is.

changes in system for the chart game

Trying it again: from here on there will be a trailing of 10% per trade and a maximum loss of 10% per stock. Also, instead of the usual 10 trades, it will now be 10 stocks, allowing as many trades per stock as there opportunities.

real trade on CAD

Reaping the benefits of monitoring several currencies. Because of the DX, I started monitoring the CAD as well, which accounts for 10% of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Dollar_Index

So today, while I was looking at it, I noticed that, among all the forex futures I monitor (EUR, GBP, JPY, CAD, DX), it is the most overbought. So I went short on it. And this time I used a stoploss:

Snap1.jpg

I stand to lose 200 and make 300 from this trade. The 200 dollars loss however is highly improbable.

This is the way I should always go about it: monitor my 11 futures, and always only make one trade per day towards the close, at around 3 PM CST.

In case anyone cares here's my 11 futures now:

CME (and similar):
EUR
GBP
JPY
CAD
DX
ES
YM
CL
GC
ZN

DTB:
GBL

I know that with this method I can have bigger wins than losses (one and a half time) and more wins than losses (around 75%). Believe it or not this is all done without any fundamental analysis. The problem, the only problem now is: waiting until about 3 PM CST and monitoring while waiting, and not trading while monitoring.

Last edited:
Getting there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Is_My_Mind?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfer_Rosa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevermind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smells_Like_Teen_Spirit

In a January 1994 Rolling Stone interview, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain revealed that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was an attempt to write a song in the style of the Pixies, a band he greatly admired. He explained:

“ I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily that I should have been in that band— or at least a Pixies cover band. We used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard. "

Last edited:
automated systems update

I am almost happy. Look at this chart:

Snap1.jpg

It looks good, huh?

Well, after the DX filter change I made, this is how my systems have been doing for the past seven months. I have many reasons to be happy. It was a home-made recipe, with limited means: excel and tradestation. But I believe it will bring me lots of money in the future. I would go as far as saying that it can be profitable without being touched again, ever, in the future. That equity line is product of over a thousand trades, from all systems: even the bad ones. I am even including systems that have done nothing but lose from the beginning of forward testing. 11 out of the 42 systems have a negative balance for the 7 months of my forward-testing. Of course, all 42 systems were profitable for the 10 years they were back-tested on, or else i wouldn't have automated them.

Anyway, here's what the miraculous past-week + DX filters do: if the dx requirement is true (see previous posts, search for "dx") and system made money, it will keep on going, obviously. If only one holds true, then the system will stay flat. If both are false, signals will be reversed.

Here's week by week and system by system (the 42 systems are grouped by their type of trading) what happens. As you can see 4 groups are told to stay flat when the previous week was negative and the dx condition was still in favor. When the condition is against the regular system (starting with week 50 of 2009), and the previous week was negative, you don't see it but their results are the results of the reversed signals.

ww.jpg

Of course, as soon as one of the two conditions (dx and past week) stops holding true the past week gets affected by the system itself, and that is why on my excel workbook, where I have the forward testing data, I keep the pivot with the normal systems on, or else I wouldn't be able to know when they perform badly and I can reverse their signals. So the week by week results of my systems actually look like this, without the reversing/flatting method:

vvv.jpg

Last edited:
Gary Bielfeldt

Quote from Market Wizards (Gary Bielfeldt):

What are the key factors you focus on in fundamentally evaluating the T-bond market?
The economy is definitely the single most important factor. Four other important elements are inflation expectations, the dollar, the trade balance, and the budget deficit.

Let's analyze this stuff, with the little understanding that I have of it.

First of all, let's view the last 20 years of the "T-bond market":
http://futuresource.quote.com/charts/charts.jsp?s=XTS-SFE&o=&a=M&z=800x550&d=HIGH&b=CANDLE&st=

fsspon.png

Now let's look at the "factors" Bielfeldt mentions, from here mostly:
http://www.economagic.com/

Bielfeldt mentions five factors, in order of importance:
1) The "Economy", which could mean a lot of things, but I'll try looking at "economic indicators", as summarized here:
http://economics.about.com/cs/businesscycles/a/economic_ind_2.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_indicator

GDP:
t1t1t6l1q.gif

Unemployment:
unrate.gif

Wages:
Couldn't find any summary charts

Too hard finding the right charts for the others as well, so I'll just mention the 7 groups of economic indicators:

1.Total Output, Income, and Spending
2.Employment, Unemployment, and Wages
3.Production and Business Activity
4.Prices
5.Money, Credit, and Security Markets
6.Federal Finance
7.International Statistics

Now, the other 4 factors Bielfeldt mentions:

1) inflation expectations,
inflation-cpiu-dec2dec.gif

2) the dollar,
http://futuresource.quote.com/charts/charts.jsp?s=DX&o=&a=M&z=800x550&d=MEDIUM&b=CANDLE&st=
fssponfffffff.png

3) the trade balance, and
chart20041126.gif

4) the budget deficit
http://www.cbo.gov/
Snap1.jpg

Here's two more good (related) links:
http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx
http://www.fxwords.com/e/economic-events-for-the-united-states.html

A big problem with these links is that the data sources are all these ".gov" web sites with crappy or non-existent charts, whereas all the good charts are elsewhere. It kind of sucks, that these government people can't do a better job at simplifying and summarizing things. So, as a consequence, it's almost pointless to provide the links for the data sources, because those web sites are labyrinths.

After all is said and done, I maintain my original opinion: you either know your fundamental analysis like the back of your hand, or it's better to not do any at all because it's impossible to not get confused. In terms of cost/benefit ratio, it is better to focus on technical analysis alone.

Last edited:
15 trades on the chart game

http://www.chartgame.com/trackrecord.cgi?8hgd2b-61,3

Very good results: 50% return with just 3 stocks played. 15 trades is all I could afford, mentally.

I used the usual rules: stoploss of maximum 10% per trade and 10% per stock, trailing stop of about 5%, s/r levels (the usual 4 types of trades: long above s/r, short below s/r). I did keep one trade open a little bit longer than 10% loss and then it came back my way. Other than that i followed the rules: but one mistake could destroy my capital, so I am obviously not ready yet. One trade got away from me, even though it came back. That's when I realized that I can only make about 10 trades at a time, because I am too emotionally exhausted after that. And that in turn tells me that my method is far from being univocally defined: it's still discretionary. It does make money, but I can't fully rely on it, because it only works when I am rested and emotionally balanced.

I also did improve something in that I first looked for opportunities in the weekly chart, and then I went into the daily chart to time the exact entries and exits. I think it's definitely a good thing. But it takes more effort so it increases my accuracy and profit, but it decreases my quantity. So it might actually decrease the profit I can make with one run of trades. With this method, I can make 15 trades on just 3 stocks, but I make less money than by making 15 trades on 15 different stocks. However, this might enable me, eventually, to never have a losing stock.

What matters is that I keep trying, every day, for the coming months, this chart game, so that I finally get used once and for all to the concept of a bracket order: given target and given stoploss. Every trade must be that. Also, I want to get used to the concept of waiting and patience. Support and Resistance have to be reached, overbought/oversold levels have to be achieved when entering... the rules are these essentially, as I said in earlier posts:

1) Buy above support if oversold (bounce)
2) Buy above resistance if not overbought (breakout)
3) Sell below support if not oversold (breakout)
4) Sell below resistance if overbought (bounce)

Roughly, it could be summarized with this drawing:

View attachment Snap1.bmp

That's the recipe for success: handling the above entries with a stoploss and a trailing stop (slightly better than a simple bracket order).

My real trading should only consists of one trade per day, so those 10 daily trades on the chart game should train me well enough, in terms of emotional balance, to make one trade per day. One trade per day according to this new concept: limited loss (stoploss) and unlimited win (trailing profit). But even a takeprofit would be fine. The point is the stoploss. Until now my real trading has consisted of a limited win (takeprofit) and unlimited loss (no stoploss). No wonder it never worked: the loss paralyzed me. You make efforts to guess it right, you build up hopes, make the trade and then each time you're not ready to see a loss. It finds you unprepared, simply because had you expected a loss you wouldn't have made a trade, so by definition if you make a trade, you're not prepared for a loss, and therefore are not prepared to exit. Actually: the more you prepare a trade, the less you will expect a loss. That's what makes it so hard.

Anyway, here's my objectives for chart game and real trading:

real trading: all profitable weeks
chart game: all profitable 10-trade series

Last edited:
I was watching these violent movies, and I can't stop thinking how things have improved over time and violence decreased over the centuries. Evolution happens. Everything keeps on improving. It's surprising to see this happen when I see myself surrounded by a majority of stupid people. By the people I see around me (not just here but everywhere I went in the world), things should just keep on getting worse and worse. And yet progress happens. I wonder why. Somehow progress builds on itself, and the majority of stupid people cannot undo the progress made by the few intelligent people and cannot keep it from being passed from one generation to the next. Who's capable of learning the secrets of the space shuttle? Very few of us. Yet that knowledge nor any other precious knowledge gets lost for some reason. Even Von Braun's knowledge didn't get lost, despite the fact that he was a nazi and lost the war.

Comparing the stupid people to the intelligent people feels like comparing my discretionary trading to my automated trading. My discretionary trading has moved forward I guess, but very slowly, like the stupid people, and has needed the same mistakes to be repeated countless times for years and years. My automated trading on the other hand is an efficient machine - all developed by me but immune to my problems - which somehow learns from every mistake and moves on to the next improvement. That's why it's so superior to discretionary trading: it learns from its mistakes for good, incorporates the lessons learned into its trading, and doesn't let emotional unbalance or anything else (boredom, lack of memory, etc.) interfere with the rules it has learned.

Last edited:
my compulsiveness decreasing?

Maybe as I get older my compulsive behaviours are decreasing. I was noticing how I decided to not throw away the ten-cigarettes pack I had bought on friday. Usually I always make sure I have nothing to smoke and nothing to eat or else I empty the cigarettes packs and the refrigerator. But yesterday I felt I could smoke about one cigarette a day without having to throw it away. Every few months, I will usually buy a pack of cigarettes, smoke two or three and throw away the rest. If someone gave me chocolates, I'd have to throw them all away or else I'd eat them all within a few hours. If you gave me a gun, I'd have to shoot as many people as I have bullets. I can't handle having things unused, undone... I have to take care of everything. But yesterday I kept the cigarettes.

This compulsiveness is related to my trading problems: if there are opportunities in the markets, I have to seize them all, regardless of how good they are, and how ready I am for trading, whether tired, impatient, pissed off...

If I solve compulsiveness for cigarettes, the same mental well-being will affect trading. I don't think it's caused by work from me: it's just that I have less energies and patience for myself. As I get older I get less compulsive. Or maybe it's something else. However, I felt my compulsiveness has been decreasing lately. I've also been able to sleep better and longer.

I remember this distant cousin of mine. He gave me a ride and I noticed some cigarettes in his car. We both smoked one, together. He told he had those cigarettes lying there for months. He said he only smoked one every few weeks. This totally struck me with amazement. To me, you either smoke them all, or you smoke none. I can't conceive how you can behave towards cigarettes without having any addiction at all. That guy is special, in that he's the opposite of me. On the other hand, I am quite interesting as well, because I never get addicted to cigarettes nor drinking - as long as I don't have them in the house. I will never get out of the house to go and buy cigarettes or beer. My laziness beats my addictions. On the other hand, if you leave cigarettes, chocolates, cakes, beers in my house, I will smoke, eat, drink them all within a few hours. Interesting case: wine bottles. I don't touch those, because they require too much work to open. There's at least 30 of them, from my father (gifts and such), but I never touch them.

Seriously, a gun in the house would bother me, because I feel that it's unnecessary, unused, a waste of space. I'd either have to get rid of it or kill someone. Chocolates have to be eaten or thrown away... noises have to be eliminated. Trades have to be made. If there's money in the account, it has to be wiped out, I guess.

By the same rationale, a refrigerator with food bothers me. It looks untidy, disorderly. Money has to be spent or eliminated from the account. An account at zero balance is orderly. An account with negative balance is no good either. An account with 100k is good. An account with 13562 is no good. The easiest way to keep your account orderly is to keep it empty, because zero is the most orderly number. This is just a brainstorming session, but there is a lot of truth to this compulsive thinking. Obsessive-compulsive behaviours definitely are a part of the reason that I didn't make money with discretionary trading for the past 12 years (ever since I started trading).

In a sense, the varying degree of personality disorders that I have is simply related to how I felt as I was growing up. I was excessively told about the importance of being tidy by my father (who had a military upbringing), and I developed some form of obsessive-compulsive personality (but I don't wash my hands like howard hughes in "the aviator"). I was told I was special and yet also treated like crap, so I also developed a sense that I had to worry about myself because nobody else would, and this caused me a narcissistic personality disorder, which I definitely have.

Last edited:
Very good description of my mistakes (the spoken explanation is very good, the titles are not very clear):

Ok, good. Another few trades and I did good again. I am already tired, because I tried hard:
http://www.chartgame.com/trackrecord.cgi?8hgd2b-64,2

Maybe from here on, I will continue trading on this account, because that's the closest to the real account: you keep the same account, and you don't change your account each time you bet. So, tomorrow, when I'll start trading on the chart game again, I will resume this game.

Gathered some more energies and went for another 15 trades:

http://www.chartgame.com/trackrecord.cgi?8hgd2b-64,9

I am always using the same game, resuming it each time, because that's the closest thing to real trading. Did good today as well: went from 13k to 14k.

I will rest for another day or so, and will resume from here. The purpose is to keep increasing my equity, being patient, and getting used to not blowing out (fictional) accounts and restarting all over again. The account must always be the same: blowing it out is not an option.

The constant rule seems to be to never have a loss bigger than 10% on a trade, or a stock, simply because when that happens I lose my rationality.

The other rule is using s/r levels. Long above support and resistance. Short below support and resistance. Bounces have to be overstretched. Breakouts must not be overstretched (e.g.: if it breaks through resistance and it's overbought, I don't go LONG).

Patience, perserverance, balance. Not taking the market personally, and not trading whenever I get upset or I am tired. Increasing my account one step at a time, and controlling losses when that doesn't happen.

Reactions: moe
Status
Not open for further replies.